Windows 10: Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off

Discus and support Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My laptop sleeps when the screen goes off regardless of the sleep time settings. I followed all the steps described in thisthread to fix it but to no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JH Erlend, Jan 1, 2020.

1. JH Erlend Win User

Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off

My laptop sleeps when the screen goes off regardless of the sleep time settings. I followed all the steps described in thisthread to fix it but to no avail. Perhaps a fresh reinstall of Windows would fix it?

HP ENVY X360 - 13-ar0005na

:)

JH Erlend, Jan 1, 2020

2. Computer Wakes Up From Sleep And Goes Back To Sleep?

Hmm, lazy computer! *Roll Eyes Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off :rolleyes:

Sorry for that stupid line, I couldn't resist. *Frown Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off :(

Maybe you have something configured to sleep when idle. Check that on your power settings.

Blue-Knight, Jan 1, 2020
  3. Computer goes to Sleep mode automatically

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below if not tried already and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System>Power & sleep.
    • In the right pane, select Never from the drop down list for
      Screen
      and Sleep.
    • Close the dialog box and check for status.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 1, 2020
  4. PJS
    pjs Win User

PC hibernates / goes into sleep mode upon logout / screen lock

I am using my work computer. It's a laptop with a power connection (not running on battery.) The laptop is hocked up to two monitors (a total of three monitors, counting the laptop's own screen - I usually keep my laptop closed, however.)
    Since I am at work I always lock the screen when I leave my computer. (I use the windows+L shortcut to lock the screen.) This all works fine.

However, after about a minute the computer goes into sleep mode / hibernation. At least I think it does, because the two monitors goes black - and it takes a few seconds to "wake up the system" (the monitors doesn't come back to life immediately when I press a key on the keyboard / move the mouse, as they would if a screen saver was active.)
    This is very annoying if I step away from my computer for only a short while (like going to the bathroom.)

Here's what I want:
    With power (not running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 15 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

Without power (running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 5 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

My best bet is that this is some sort of power saving scheme thingie, but I can't seem to figure out how to configure it to do what I want. Can someone please help me with a step-by-step guide to configure my system the way I want? Thank you.

Thema:

1. Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off - Similar Threads - Computer goes sleep

2. Blue screen when computer goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen when computer goes to sleep: Hello,We have a user that has their screens go blue when she leaves and the computer goes to sleep. Clicking or hitting a single button on the keyboard doesn't work. The only was for her to get back to the main login screen is hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete. When she leaves for...
  3. Blue screen when computer goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue screen when computer goes to sleep: Hello,We have a user that has their screens go blue when she leaves and the computer goes to sleep. Clicking or hitting a single button on the keyboard doesn't work. The only was for her to get back to the main login screen is hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete. When she leaves for...
  4. Blue screen when computer goes to sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer goes to sleep when printing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer goes to sleep when printing: Hi ExpertsI have a Windows10 computer, and it connected to a printer by USB or WIFI.When I am printing a big file, like 100 color pages or above, the printing job was spooling in the queue and then sent to the printer.The issue is, the inkjet printer will take a long time to...
  6. Computer goes to sleep when printing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer goes to sleep when printing: Hi ExpertsI have a Windows10 computer, and it connected to a printer by USB or WIFI.When I am printing a big file, like 100 color pages or above, the printing job was spooling in the queue and then sent to the printer.The issue is, the inkjet printer will take a long time to...
  7. Computer goes to sleep when printing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Screen monitor goes to sleep when computer turned on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen monitor goes to sleep when computer turned on: I have an HP monitor. Lately, when I turn on my computer the monitor is black, then shows "Monitor going to sleep" and never wakes up. I have the settings for the monitor to 'never' go to sleep, however, something's going on that keeps doing it. I don't see anything else...
  9. Screen goes off and on when pc goes off and on?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen goes off and on when pc goes off and on?: How do I set the screen to go on and off so I don't have to press 2 buttons every time? Bildschirm geht aus und an wenn pc aus und an geht?
  10. Monitor turns off when computer goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor turns off when computer goes to sleep: Hi everyone, This is a really small problem but I just want to get down to the cause of it. I am running windows 10 with dual monitors and every time the computer goes to sleep one of the monitors turns off and requires me to push the power button on the monitor to turn it...