Windows 10: Computer gone 'crazy'

Discus and support Computer gone 'crazy' in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello,Recently I decided to update the system, enabled the update option (for some time it was disabled). The search took a while, and then it started... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Motim, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Motim Win User

Computer gone 'crazy'

Hello,Recently I decided to update the system, enabled the update option (for some time it was disabled). The search took a while, and then it started to download - without any option to select which. Then installation started, very slow and long. Restartings started, got a notice it will take some time and several restarts.After 4 - 5 restarts screen was black, only win "carousele" kept revolving, keyboard and mouse were inoperative, there were no flashes it the 'Start' button, and so for about half an hour without any progress. I pressed several moments the start button and computer 'awakened' with a notice it returns to previous windows intallation. After a while got my windows back, but then it "found new updates" and the whole thing started again. At the end I got notice that updates were succesfuly installed (?). Happy with this info I opened the control panel if there are new updates - there were none.Opened the 'installed updates' page and the 'update History' page - they do not match.Made some screenshots, I'll try to add them here.In the 'installed updates' page I right-clicked at each one, at sone there was an uninstall option, some nothing.The next day, computer On and I wad working on something, a popup notice said there are new updates and countdown to restart started, pressed on 'later' and the notice gone. Continued to work, suddenly computer started rebooting, the whole process described above started all over again. I restored with Macrium image made some days ago, in the control panel disabled updates option, same in the task manager. End of story untill now.So now I ask you for some explanations about such behavior, and howto stop auto-restart, if it happens again.Windows is 10 pro 1511 32 bit, and I do not have the installation CD. I do not want to reinstall windows because I have also office installed and many other programs which I use.Answers will be appreciated.
    Thanks

PS. Please forgive me for the long story, but have to give the whole 'picture'.

:)

Motim, Jun 20, 2017
  2. ChadStott Win User

Defender gone crazy

suddenly my defender message constantly keeps popping up saying a virus has been found and when I run a scan it says there are no viruses. It wont stop and I don't know what to do it keeps popping up making that noise and its aggravating as ****. can someone
    tell me what is going on or what I can do? thanks.

I'm on windows 10

Moved from Insider

ChadStott, Jun 20, 2017
  3. E51 gone crazy

My E51 also started going crazy about a month ago. I am now pretty sure that it was because the battery was dying/dead: it became obvious eventually when the phone could not start but was caught in a loop of endlessly trying. Although the old battery appeared
    fully charged, it just lacked enough 'oomph' to load the system software and let the phone start up. For a while, the phone would start if you had the charging cable connected as well as the battery fully recharged, but in the end, even that combination was
    not enough.

But by the time I did replace the battery, either because of some system corruption caused by the unexpected consequences and weird behavior during the battery dying, or by my own fruitless efforts to fix things by changing settings at random, my phone was
    pretty messed up. Anyway, the phone was not completely fixed by the new battery. Eventually I had to do a hard reset, wiping everything from the phone's memory, as well as a reformat of the internal memory card. After painfully reinstalling all programs and
    data from scratch, it seems to have recovered its sanity, touch wood, and has been on an even keel for the last month.

LIke mine, many E51s were bought ~two years ago, which is about the life of a battery. I bought a genuine Nokia replacement battery on Amazon for near $30.

But it is a great phone since the latest firmware and there is nothing to replace it yet by Nokia in the USA market.

michaelwe---01, Jun 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Computer gone 'crazy'

You say you received some updates, restart, then another bunch of updates, restart.

But you haven't stated whether any of these groups of updates were the same or different. That's quite important- was it repeating the same updates?

I'm going to hazard a wild guess.

This was a failed attempt to upgrade your PC to a later build.

This was a successful attempt to upgrade (there would be no updates listed).

This was your PC updating the new build.

If that is true (and I have no way of being certain given the limited information - no specific details of which updates were applied in each of the above sequences) - your PC had upgraded and updated.

If so, then unfortunately, by restoring your image, you've undone all that work.

Does that sound right?

Ways to control updates:
    1. Use Active Hours. Set a time period in which restarts will not occur. That's available in Setttings.
    2. Set updates to Notify only. (See e.g. Winaero's free tweaker with full description of the group policy/registry change). That means no download unless you say so.
    3. If you use Pro, set Defer feature updates.
    That means you don't get build upgrades fro some months.

But given that you have an old build, actually you should be upgrading, in the hope that upgrading won't cause you particular difficulties.

iso's always available for free download.

dalchina, Jun 20, 2017
  5. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    Thanks for the prompt answer.
    Correction: On the first "update", list of updates is on screenshots I posted, they are from the first 'run' and they do not match, some of the so-called 'successfull' installed (the bigger screenshot), are not on the smaller screenshot.
    Right-click on some 'updates' in the smaller list responded with 'uninstall' and some did nothing.
    My guess: 'uninstall' option applies only to something which is actually installed.
    After some attempts to restart, I received the 'big list' of 'succesfull' installations.
    On the next day there were no downloads and no list at all, it just forced the restart, remained black screen for more then 40 minutes and nothing happened. Only then I restored with previous image.
    Hope this makes some answer to your questions.
    Thanks again.

Motim, Jun 20, 2017
  6. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    Since the auto-update has no options to select which updates to install, and the auto-update caused my lot of troubles as described in previous posts, I will try to download the updates from MS library according to the list on previous screenshots, and try to install them one by one to see which one makes the troubles.
    I only ask you : When the files are on hand, how to install them.
    Answers will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Motim, Jun 22, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    Are you planning to stay with windows 1511 or upgrade to 1703 if possible?

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

1) winver (in the pop up about windows > view your windows version and build > type this information into the thread)

2) sfc /scannow

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) chkdsk /scan

When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on copy > paste into the thread

Also open control panel and run the windows update troubleshooter:
    Click on advanced to make sure apply repairs automatically is checked.
    And click on run as administrator.
    When it finishes click on view detailed information.
    For anything fixed or not fixed please post an image into the thread.

zbook, Jun 23, 2017
  8. Motim Win User

Computer gone 'crazy'

Hello,
    Thanks for your answer.
    I'll ask, what is so good with this 1703 version,better then the present I have ?
    As instructed, ran the tests except the update troubleshooter which I'll run soon.
    Other tests done, here attached screenshots of each one as well as Winver.
    After the troubleshooter I'll post the resulst - if any.
    But now I have 9 update files downloaded from MS center, shell I install them manually one by one ?
    Answers will be appreciated
    Thanks

Motim, Jun 23, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    All of the updates can be performed at one time. Make sure you are not on a metered connection.
    If there are any update failures please post the KB# and error code.

zbook, Jun 23, 2017
  10. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    Thanks for the answer.
    Have not received any opinion about results of the tests as I sent.
    Here are attached screenshots of the troubleshooter findings (?) as you instructed.
    Later I will start installing the updates, also attach here a list of the downloaded updates, I intend to install the updates offline since I have the update files in a folder
    Thanks

Motim, Jun 23, 2017
  11. zbook New Member
    The test results so far are fine with sfc scannow, dism restorehealth, and chkdsk scan.
    The choice for windows versions is personal. There are multiple threads in this forum. This is some very basic information:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000824
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ows-update-faq

Upon second thought why not perform one windows update at a time and see how it goes. It seems that way you are less likely to get stuck in a loop or at least you will know which update was problematic.

If necessary you can generate the cbs and windows update log

Place the computer in clean boot before making the updates:

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands:

1) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

2) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

3) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows-10.aspx

zbook, Jun 23, 2017
  12. Motim Win User
    Hello and many thanks,
    Disable everything ? what about the antivirus ? Then I have to make the updates offline ?
    Thanks again

Motim, Jun 24, 2017
  13. Motim Win User

Computer gone 'crazy'

Hello,
    This is a question to Mr. 'zbook':
    Hello again,
    Following your recent answers about how to update my system (not done yet), I started reading according to the links you entered in your last answer, and there I found a list of updates, "Window 10 update history" here is the
    link:"https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...y-version-1511"
    and I want to ask, does the whole list apply to my system, because many of them are missing in my list.
    As you know, my system is 1511, and checked build is 10586.318, is it possible from this large list only one
    applies ?
    Answers will be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Motim, Jun 24, 2017
  14. zbook New Member
    The 1511 version of Windows 10 is old. There have been two versions of Windows since 1511. They are 1607 and 1703.
    So there is lots to update.

There is a tool that is used to analyze bsod, crashes, debugging, that can be used to gather logs so we can see the computer environment. It will include msinfo32, event logs etc. Please use this tool to create a zip file: BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums
    If you have the option to set the default language to English please do it before creating the zip files so that we can read the files.

zbook, Jun 25, 2017
  15. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    I have installed manually 7 updates so far, one issued an error and not been installed (attached error screenshot),
    not one of them asked for a reboot. When done, I restarted computer, looks fine.
    Ran the BSOD tool, attached the zip file. (ADMIN-PC-Mon_06_26_2017_170635_31.zip).
    By the way, no option to select language - but it is in English.
    Hope this will help to solve some problems.
    Now I'll wait with updates untill get answers after 'developing' the findings in the zip file.
    Thanks a lot

Motim, Jun 25, 2017
Thema:

Computer gone 'crazy'

1. Computer gone 'crazy' - Similar Threads - Computer gone 'crazy'

2. Windows menus gone crazy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows menus gone crazy: As found in an older thread, I'm having the same issue as below:E_ZalmaCreated on October 14, 2020Windows menus "going crazy" after some timehttps://youtu.be/80f5EebL8zsAs the video shows, after some time all of the windows menus and appsbesides file explorer and task menager...
  3. Windows menus gone crazy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows menus gone crazy: As found in an older thread, I'm having the same issue as below:E_ZalmaCreated on October 14, 2020Windows menus "going crazy" after some timehttps://youtu.be/80f5EebL8zsAs the video shows, after some time all of the windows menus and appsbesides file explorer and task menager...
  4. Windows menus gone crazy

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 7 gone crazy!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 gone crazy!: Hello,Up to around 3 weeks ago, I was enjoying my computer system with good old Windows 7 on it. Playing games, working on docs etc., until one day I turned on the computer to find my desktop completely changed and Windows 7 service pack 2 completely missing.I tried to system...
  6. Windows 7 gone crazy!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 gone crazy!: Hello,Up to around 3 weeks ago, I was enjoying my computer system with good old Windows 7 on it. Playing games, working on docs etc., until one day I turned on the computer to find my desktop completely changed and Windows 7 service pack 2 completely missing.I tried to system...
  7. windows screen gone crazy

windows screen gone crazy: hi my grey computer has started something weird. lines allover the place on the display and not working. i stepped on it and I'm think it could be the data cable or the display. the pc is a toshiba with win 10 plz help thx...
  8. PC gone crazy

PC gone crazy: Hi, Yesturday, I've installed an app for my printer and when it finished, my PC began to not respond to my clicks on closing or opening windows browser, start menu and so on. I dicided to physically shutdown my PC, but when I started up my PC this morning some app wouldn't...
  9. Keyboard has gone crazy. Help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard has gone crazy. Help.: Was working the other day. Toshiba laptop. Couldn't log in because the keyboard was typing long blocks of gibberish after hitting one key. Finally got in with onscreen keyboard. Hitting space bar once types "7kp77k7k k7 7k7 7k7 7 7k" Hitting the a key types in...
  10. Downloading gone crazy

Downloading gone crazy: Since accepting updates to Windows 10, about two weeks ago, downloading has gone berserk. It just keeps repeating over and over until I have to close my computer to stop it. Help!...