Windows 10: Computer hangs/lags when downloading from Steam

Discus and support Computer hangs/lags when downloading from Steam in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; This started happening yesterday. Whenever I download a game from steam after a couple of minutes my whole system starts to hang (mouse lags, audio... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ackthatkid, May 3, 2016.

1. Computer hangs/lags when downloading from Steam

This started happening yesterday. Whenever I download a game from steam after a couple of minutes my whole system starts to hang (mouse lags, audio lags, programs lag) and I get high CPU usage in windows explorer, Avast, System Interrupts, and Steam. I've read a couple places that it may be Avast scanning every single file, but I've disabled all functionality down to just the scanner and even disabled the shield and still the hangs happen.
    I'm not sure if it is just Steam, since the same thing happened when downloading a driver from Geforce Experience, but when downloading a 1 GB test file from thinkbroadband.com no hanging occurs. I know Win10 just updated on me yesterday so I think that could be a suspect.
    My system is plenty powerful and has never had a problem handling downloading (multiple files) and still playing games/streaming video. I could really use some help on this, it's the first time my system has run annoyingly slow since I built it a year and a half ago. Also, I have had programs running at 99% CPU before and never had such a slowdown like this and it isn't even reaching a full 99% now.

I've updated my ethernet driver, graphics driver, ran a ccleaner scan, ran an mbam and avast scan, reinstalled avast (lag happens without an antivirus too), have tried downloading to all of my separate disks and get the same slowdown. None of my hardware is showing as running at full capacity in performance monitor.

:)

ackthatkid, May 3, 2016

2. Severe window lag with windows 10

I make youtube intros a lot... and I downloaded a template for a user and started to suffer extreme window lag when dragging windows. But, I don't thing it is a virus as the window lag comes after a couple days... I don't know if it is in fact a virus or
    just because a lot of background programs are running... It especially lags me when I receive a steam message. I have scanned with my antiviruses and found nothing, and have tried cleaning my computer with CCleaner. I don't know what to do. Any idea? It also
    takes forever to open dropdown menus.

[Moved from Virus & Malware]

WonderingUser, May 3, 2016
  3. Johnbk34 Win User
    Need help fixing high "System" CPU usage when downloading things from Steam and Battlenet

This never used to happen until a couple of months ago. Whenever Steam, or Battlenet are downloading something, my computer starts to lag really bad. I go into task manager, and 75-100% of my CPU is being used, most of which is coming from the app the
    is downloading something (Steam, or Battlenet), and 'System'. It took me forever to find a solution for this problem for the Steam problem, but I eventually did find a solution, it requires me to go command prompt, and type "bcdedit /set useplatformclock false",
    and then restart my computer. It totally fixes the problem on Steam... But only temporarily. It seems to reset back after a few days (or a few restarts), and then I have to do the process over again. Is there a permanent way to fix this problem? Like make
    the "bcdedit /set useplatformclock false" last forever, instead of just resetting after a few restarts? Also, it that solution doesn't seem to work as good for Battlenet as it does Steam. Please help!

Johnbk34, May 3, 2016
  4. Computer hangs/lags when downloading from Steam

Well... I'm not sure why this was moved to gaming I'm not having any problems with games. It is most definitely a technical issue it just so happens to be with a gaming service.

ackthatkid, May 3, 2016
  5. Well I fixed it, turns out I set a system level variable when following a tweak guide for saints row 2. I ran the command
    Code: bcdedit /set useplatformclock true[/quote] to fix a speedup bug in the game. Setting the value back to false solved my hanging issue.

So I guess the issue in the end was somewhat related to gaming (though I still don't think I should have been moved here *Tongue)

ackthatkid, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Computer hangs/lags when downloading from Steam

1. Computer hangs/lags when downloading from Steam - Similar Threads - Computer hangs lags

2. Download steam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download steam: I keep trying to download steam on windows 11 but it says "search the Microsoft store" instead https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-steam/772f7a78-638f-4633-84b7-5578d2500a10
  3. Download steam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download steam: I keep trying to download steam on windows 11 but it says "search the Microsoft store" instead https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-steam/772f7a78-638f-4633-84b7-5578d2500a10
  4. BSoD when downloading steam games

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BSoD when downloading steam games: I have just installed a new ssd to my pc. It was working fine till i started to download my games to new disc. I am usually leaving my pc open overnight if i am downloading a big sized game. I had no issue with my old drive. I still have no issue when i directly download...
  5. Computer hanging when waking from startup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer hanging when waking from startup?: Hi, I've recently found myself with an issue on my computer. I like to use sleep mode instead of turning it off because then I don't have to deal with 15 programs opening on startup. However, now whenever I wake it up from sleep and go to the login page it types gibberish...
  6. windows freeze when downloading games from steam

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows freeze when downloading games from steam: hello, this problem happens only when i download games from steam. when the games start to download, it runs fine for a while, and then the computer start to lag and finally freeze stand still, even the ctrl + alt + del didn’t work, so i have to shut my pc down using the...
  7. input lag ONLY in tf2 from steam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    input lag ONLY in tf2 from steam: so im having input lag in my keyboard and its only in tf2 and im in a laptop please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/input-lag-only-in-tf2-from-steam/6aa5068a-db74-4e12-bbee-c99a111a5162
  8. Download hangs when completed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Download hangs when completed: When downloading "files", and it completes full download it hangs for about to a full minute, before it opens for installation. I am using Windows 10 version 1903......
  9. Downloading help from steam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading help from steam: In my computer I have 2 hard drives. one small and one big. The small one was default when i got my computer. The game that needs updated is downloaded on my small drive and I'm wonder if i can make the update download on my bigger drive... If i need to do the update in the...
  10. BSOD when downloading games on steam

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when downloading games on steam: I just got a new computer built and got a new monitor along with it but a problem has arose. I can use the computer but when something that required a lot of RAM or just a lot of priority to open for example "Steam" the software in which you can download games and such...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer lags when downloading