Windows 10: Computer hangs on startup for ages after migrating to new mobo/cpu

Discus and support Computer hangs on startup for ages after migrating to new mobo/cpu in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I recently upgraded my mobo/cpu in my desktop and ever since this has happened, Windows hangs on startup for anywhere between 10-30 minutes on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SpikinNike, May 28, 2020.

1. Computer hangs on startup for ages after migrating to new mobo/cpu

Hello,

I recently upgraded my mobo/cpu in my desktop and ever since this has happened, Windows hangs on startup for anywhere between 10-30 minutes on the logo and spinning dots screen. On my old PC this screen wouldn't show for more than a second.

My windows activation is set at "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account", so I felt that I wouldn't have any issues just putting my SSD with Windows on it straight into the new mobo and all would be well after a few driver updates. After I changed hardware, I began to get random crashes with new error codes every crash. I have updated every driver possible in Device Manager and done a variety of command-line actions to fix any issues /sfc scannow, etc.

I have now got the computer to where I no longer receive random crashes, but Windows still hangs for ages on the startup screen. I feel like I have exhausted every option or idea I have come across on the internet so I am hoping I might be able to get an answer here which doesn't involve a full reinstall of Windows.

Any help you could possibly provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

SpikinNike, May 28, 2020

2. Changing my MOBO and CPU a

I'm doing PC upgrades and changes entirely for my new mini-itx build.

I'm not sure about how the process would work, but what are the appropriate steps I need to undertake before making my changes?

• My personal data and files are backed up to my Onedrive, and have nothing to lose in terms of data.
    • I have an additional copy of Windows 10 (but would prefer not to use it in-case I do another PC build).
    • My MOBO and CPU upgrades are polar opposites of my current hardware:
      • OLD HARDWARE
        • Intel i5 6500
        • AsRock Killer MOBO
      • New Hardware
        • AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
        • Asus Strix X-470
    This is my first time doing a particular change so guiding steps would be greatly appreciated! Things like how to wipe my hard-drive and reinstall Windows, etc.

Chris Anguiano, May 28, 2020
  3. Amol S. Win User
    Changing my MOBO and CPU a

You will have to buy windows license if you change the motherboard, unless you made the computer originally in the first place, or bought a license key.

Amol S., May 28, 2020
  4. Avedis53 Win User

Computer hangs on startup for ages after migrating to new mobo/cpu

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, May 28, 2020
Thema:

Computer hangs on startup for ages after migrating to new mobo/cpu

1. Computer hangs on startup for ages after migrating to new mobo/cpu - Similar Threads - Computer hangs startup

2. Migrating OEM Windows License to new Mobo

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrating OEM Windows License to new Mobo: Question is pretty self explanatory. Can I migrate a Windows 10 OEM license if I swap out my motherboard in my computer? I'm trying to upgrade my CPU and I need to upgrade my mobo to make it compatable....
  3. "Windows is not activated" After installing new CPU/Mobo

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Windows is not activated" After installing new CPU/Mobo: I upgrade my computer's CPU & Mobo from the AMD FX series, to the AMD Ryzen series. Prior to this, I did the typical back up of files and what not; because, I knew that I would obviously have to re-install windows. I created a windows boot disk to a USB stick, so now I'm...
  4. Reactvation after MOBO and CPU replacement.

Reactvation after MOBO and CPU replacement.: A few days ago I attempted to perform the cu update from 1903 xxxxx.418 to 1909 using the files and procedure from uudump. Downloading and creating the ISO all went well. Mounted the ISO on my SSD and initiated the upgrade. It was proceeding as it should. At some point my pc...
  5. Migration to a new computer

Migration to a new computer: I have a Windows 10 OS on my current computer. I bought a new computer with Windows 10 installed. I want to migrate files/apps/programs from the old computer to the new one in the simplest way possible without investing in any transfer software. Many of my files/documents are...
  6. Windows key deactivated, after new mobo and cpu.

Windows key deactivated, after new mobo and cpu.: I get this message to activate windows but when I do it says that I "don't have a valid digital license or product key" error code 0x803f7001 70209
  7. Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade

Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade: I'm updating my wife's Home PC to a new CPU and mobo (old had only 4G DDR2 memory and was slower than molasses). This PC was originally Win 7 Home and I used the free upgrade facility to go to Win 10 Home. This PC is listed as one of my devices under my account at...
  8. Computer Hangs at Startup After Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Hangs at Startup After Shutdown: My system "hangs" after I Shut Down and then start back up. It doesn't occur when I Restart the system. * It "Hangs " when it gets to the black screen with the blue Windows logo in the center. I've waited a half an hour and remained hung. The "round working dots (for lack...
  9. Migrating to new computers

Migrating to new computers: We need to migrate our data and programs to new computers. One source computer runs XP, the other runs Win 10 Pro x64 (winver 1703); both destination computers run Win 10 Pro x64. What's the best way to go about it? I understand there is software designed to help. 88869
  10. Migrate to new computer

Migrate to new computer: My daughter just upgraded her Surface Pro 2 to a Surface Pro 4. Is there an easy way to migrate all her info/programs/data to the new computer? 66290

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc hangs on startup