Windows 10: Computer hangs up/freezes when running certain apps

Discus and support Computer hangs up/freezes when running certain apps in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello A few weeks ago my computer started completely freezing. When those freezes occur the computer is totally unresponsive and requires a reboot,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nitrome, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Nitrome Win User

Computer hangs up/freezes when running certain apps

Hello

A few weeks ago my computer started completely freezing. When those freezes occur the computer is totally unresponsive and requires a reboot, however they only happen when running certain programs.

Windows Version number : 1903
    When does it happen?
    • Playing youtube videos (takes a few minutes to freeze on average)
    • Starting certain games (freezes on startup)
    • Answering discord calls
    And i discover new sources all the time so i doubt this is a complete list.

What did i try so far?
    • Updating the drivers (didn't try to update the BIOS yet but reset it to default)
    • Sfc / chkdsk
    • OCCT (both CPU and GPU test, neither overheated/froze the computer)
    • memtest x86 (4 passes 6 hours, no errors)
    • Swapping GPU (RX-480)

By this point i was a bit lost so i tried using windows event viewer to no avail.

As a last attempt i tried to install windows on a new harddrive but the computer froze during installation.

I'm completely lost and don't know whether my hardware is failing or if it's some kind of software issue.

:)

Nitrome, Mar 26, 2020
  2. Jess Can Win User

Some devices may hang or freeze when using certain apps, such as “Hey Cortana” or Chrome, after installing the Windows 10 April 2018 Update

Microsoft is aware that some devices running the Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803) may hang or freeze when using certain apps, such as “Hey Cortana” or Chrome.

If your device freezes when using an app, try one of the following steps to recover Windows without needing to restart:

1. Try a Windows key sequence to wake the screen.
      If you have a keyboard connected, simultaneously press the Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B. If you’re on a tablet, simultaneously press both the volume-up and volume-down buttons, three times within 2 seconds.
      If Windows is responsive, a short beep will sound and the screen will blink or dim while Windows attempts to refresh the screen.

1. If you’re using a laptop, close and open the laptop lid.
    Microsoft is working on a solution with the goal of including it in the next regular monthly update, currently targeted for a release date of May 8, 2018.

Jess Can, Mar 26, 2020
  3. Lonnie_L Win User
    Some devices may hang or freeze when using certain apps, such as “Hey Cortana” or Chrome, after installing the Windows 10 April 2018 Update

Microsoft is aware that some devices running the Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803) may hang or freeze when using certain apps, such as “Hey Cortana” or Chrome.

If your device freezes when using an app, try one of the following steps to recover Windows without needing to restart:

1. Try a Windows key sequence to wake the screen. If you have a keyboard connected, simultaneously press the
      Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B. If you’re on a tablet, simultaneously press both the volume-up and volume-down buttons, three times within 2 seconds.
      If Windows is responsive, a short beep will sound and the screen will blink or dim while Windows attempts to refresh the screen.
    2. If you’re using a laptop, close and open the laptop lid.

Microsoft is working on a solution with the goal of including it in the next regular monthly update, currently targeted for a release date of May 8, 2018.

Lonnie_L, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Computer hangs up/freezes when running certain apps

Computer freezing running Windows 10.

Hi Caleb,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to perform Clean boot by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

You can open the system configuration window in Windows 10:

Step 1: Using
    run command.

• Press Windows Key + R keys on the Keyboard.
    • Type msconfig.msc and press Enter.

Step 2: Using
    Cortana.

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type
      msconfig
    • Select the top most search result.

Follow the steps from 3 under How to perform a clean boot
    for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 from the link below (The steps for clean boot suggested in the link below for
    Windows 8/8.1 is applicable for Windows 10 as well):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Start the computer in normal mode refer the section,
    How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    from the link above.

Refer to the article about Windows 8.1, Windows 8 or Windows 7 hangs or freezes
    (Applies to Windows 10 also) and check if it helps.

Write back to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Computer hangs up/freezes when running certain apps

1. Computer hangs up/freezes when running certain apps - Similar Threads - Computer hangs freezes

2. Computer suddenly hang/freeze

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer suddenly hang/freeze: These days my laptop keep hanging/freezing suddenly when I am using it. There is also a bzzzz-ing sound too everytime it hangs. What could be the problem and how do I fix this? This annoys me a lot since it occurs at least 3 times a day everytime I turn on my computer. Due to...
  3. Computer suddenly hang/freeze

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer suddenly hang/freeze: These days my laptop keep hanging/freezing suddenly when I am using it. There is also a bzzzz-ing sound too everytime it hangs. What could be the problem and how do I fix this? This annoys me a lot since it occurs at least 3 times a day everytime I turn on my computer. Due to...
  4. windows 10 hanging and freezing when booted up

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 hanging and freezing when booted up: i am a user windows 10 but whenever i start it by entering the login password the window keeps hanging again and again the start menu does not respond and "this pc" takes at least 20 seconds to open please tell a solution to my problem : : the windows is up to date it is not...
  5. Certain Apps Will Not Run

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Certain Apps Will Not Run: This problem just recently began, and for some unknown reason this issue only happens with my Chrome and Discord apps, they literally just will not run. It says in my taskbar and task manager that they are running and when I hover over them I can see the screen of what you'd...
  6. Computer freezing/hanging.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer freezing/hanging.: My computer has recently started hanging and freezing randomly. i would be doing light tasks like shopping and surfing the web, and it would completely freeze. Ctrl+alt+Del, double pressing Esc, And Alt Tab all don't help. i have currently tried: Taking out and cleaning my...
  7. PC Freeze/ Hang up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Freeze/ Hang up: I've been trying to figure this one out for going on a few years now and I feel like i'm close to a possible cause. What has started all of this was my PC kept getting stuck at the 30% Windows update mark. Still haven't been able to update yet. I am forced to hard boot when...
  8. Computer running slow and freezing up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer running slow and freezing up: Hello everyone, I could sure use some help. For the last week my computer has been freezing up. It doesn't matter what site I'm on or whether I'm writing in a document and the system has started running slow when it is working. The mouse won't work and I end up just shutting...
  9. Computer freeze up when running Photoshop CC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freeze up when running Photoshop CC: I originally posted this same problem a few days ago, and thought the problem was resolved, but it is back again. I am using a HP Pavalon with 16 GB (edit) of RAM which is running Windows 10 with the latest update. Normally the computer runs fine. However, when running...
  10. Computer freezing/hanging on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer freezing/hanging on startup: Whenever I turn my computer on it will either freeze or hang on the startup screen with the logo and the dots. I've had Windows 10 for around 2 months but I've never had this problem until a few days ago. I've tried start-up repair, system restore and clean booting but they...