Windows 10: Computer hangs when I try to open a file

Discus and support Computer hangs when I try to open a file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently my Windows 10 computer started hanging when I try to open a file. For example, in Word I click Open and immediately an empty navigation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PhilNominon, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Computer hangs when I try to open a file

Recently my Windows 10 computer started hanging when I try to open a file. For example, in Word I click Open and immediately an empty navigation window opens. EMPTY! And the application says Not Responding if I try to click anything else. The empty window persists for 30 or 40 seconds and eventually is populated with the file directory and I can then open my file.

Doesn’t seem to matter what program, Word, Excel, Outlook, Corel Draw all do this. Same lock up, if I right click a file to rename, hangs for a while before I can eventually continue.

I can’t figure it out. Help!

:)

PhilNominon, Nov 26, 2020
  2. Tenforo Active Member

PowerPoint file crashes PowerPoint upon opening

since this happens in some of the computers only, suggest that you open the file on working computer and copy everything and paste to a new powerpoint file.
    most of the time it works to me. *Smile Computer hangs when I try to open a file :)

Tenforo, Nov 26, 2020
  3. Tenforo Active Member
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Tenforo, Nov 26, 2020
  4. "open with" and opening of files slow

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you made any changes on your computer, prior to this issue?

To fix issues with Word documents opening slowly, I suggest you to attach a different template to the document and check if that helps. Follow the below steps to attach a templates.

Steps:-

1. Open Word application.
    2. Click on File and select Options.
    3. Select Add-Ins from the list.
    4. Under Manage Select Templates and click on
      Go.
    5. In the pop up, type Normal in the Document template.
    6. Click on Ok.

To fix issues with Adobe files opening slowly follow the below troubleshooting steps and check if that helps.

Steps:-

1. Open Adobe application.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. Select Preferences option.
    4. Tap on General.
    5. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Nov 26, 2020
Thema:

Computer hangs when I try to open a file

1. Computer hangs when I try to open a file - Similar Threads - Computer hangs try

2. Win 10 hangs when I try to show the network computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 hangs when I try to show the network computers: When I hit Network Win 10 hangs and nothing is displayed.Peter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-hangs-when-i-try-to-show-the-network/ad790fc5-cab8-4371-9787-6b8344556a44
  3. Win 10 hangs when I try to show the network computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 hangs when I try to show the network computers: When I hit Network Win 10 hangs and nothing is displayed.Peter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-hangs-when-i-try-to-show-the-network/ad790fc5-cab8-4371-9787-6b8344556a44
  4. File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens: File Explorer keeps hanging when launching or when resizing the window. Some times it will un-hang by itself after a while if left alone, otherwise it will crash. I had an issue where Windows applications such as Task Manager or Settings where taking too long to launch from...
  5. Explorer hangs when opening a zip file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer hangs when opening a zip file: It typically remains unresponsive for 5-10 seconds until it finally display the contents of the zip file. Extracting files is also relatively slow. This is on a i7-U6500 with 16 GB LPDDR3 laptop, so that should not be the problem. I have no add-ons or extensions to Explorer...
  6. File Explorer hangs when I try to open Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer hangs when I try to open Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents: This has been happening for the last 2 days and it's extremely annoying. When I locate the file I want in Explorer, and it's likely stored in my Dropbox folder, Explorer will hang and I have to "End task" from task manager. However, if I open Word/Excel/Powerpoint and...
  7. Windows explorer hangs when trying to open a word or excel file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer hangs when trying to open a word or excel file: HI Team I am facing a problem while trying to open an excel file or word document from windows explorer. If I try to double click/press enter after selecting the file name, windows explorer doesn't respond. I have to forcefully close it. Steps followed Open windows...
  8. My Computer Got HANGED when opened

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Computer Got HANGED when opened: Hi, My desktop configuration is: Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Processor: Core I5 8400 Ram: 16GB, 3200 Bus GUP: Gtx 1050ti SSd: 120GB HDd: 1TB OS: Windows 10 Pro My problem is: Last 1 years , I am using this very good. But today, after opening my desktop, 1/2 mins later...
  9. “This PC” hanging when I try to open it. Says “working on it…”

in Windows 10 Support
    “This PC” hanging when I try to open it. Says “working on it…”: Well, since last update, I've been having this problem. I actually had it in the past and suddenly, it stopped. But looks like now it has come again to haunt me. What happens is, after I log in, after maybe one hour or so, and then try to open "This PC", it hangs, saying...
  10. Explorer hangs when trying to open share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer hangs when trying to open share: I am trying to access a share on my desktop computer from my laptop. I can connect to the share and the share appears on the left hand side in Explorer, but Explorer hangs a lot when I try to get into the share or do other operations such as changing a folder name. Sometimes...