Windows 10: Computer has less space on hard drive after reinstalling windows?

Discus and support Computer has less space on hard drive after reinstalling windows? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just recently reinstalled windows (to deal with a problem I'd been having with ridding my computer of Mcafee), however after the installation, my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Esa8, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Esa8 Win User

Computer has less space on hard drive after reinstalling windows?

I just recently reinstalled windows (to deal with a problem I'd been having with ridding my computer of Mcafee), however after the installation, my computer has only 120 GB of space on the C: drive and before I had a terabyte. Any insight into why this may be and how I should address it?

Thanks!

:)

2. Jobber Win User

Reinstalled Windows XP; Hard Disk Drive(CComputer has less space on hard drive after reinstalling windows? :) Still Has 251 GB of Used Space

Due to a missing or corrupt System\32 file, I had to reinstall Windows XP with my manufacturer's Recovery disk.

I knew this would wipe out my access to all my files and computer programs, and it did.

Starting fresh again with Windows XP, I decided to defragment the disk drives, perform an Error Check, and scan for any viruses or spyware.

To my amazement, all the old files and programs I had before reinstalling Windows are somewhere still on the computer's C: Drive!!!

So I did a Disk Cleanup and compressed some of the old files.

However, these files and programs are still taking up 251 GB of space, over half the space of my computer's capacity of 451GB.

I only have 214GB of free space left.

I was not able to uninstall or remove or delete the old files and programs before I reinstalled Windows XP; my operating system was not working at all.

Questions:

So, my questions are:

1) Is there anyway to access the old files and programs after reinstalling Windows XP???

(My understanding is it is basically impossible to do so).

2) If I cannot access the old files and programs, how do I get rid of them and free up the 251 GB of Disk Space on my C: Drive???

Jobber, Oct 31, 2018
  3. little cat, Oct 31, 2018
  4. Computer has less space on hard drive after reinstalling windows?

space in hard dist for update windows 10

Hello ManolisTsitkanos,

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    • What is the exact error message that you're getting when performing an update?

Meanwhile, I'd suggest following the steps in this article
    to help you free up drive space on your Windows 10 device.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

Computer has less space on hard drive after reinstalling windows?

1. Computer has less space on hard drive after reinstalling windows? - Similar Threads - Computer has less

2. Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. It is fairly old, bought new around 2007ish. It came with Windows 7 as the original OS. Over the years, it has updated to newer versions all on its own. It's now running Windows 10.A couple of weeks ago, it was attempting to update to the newest...
  3. Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. It is fairly old, bought new around 2007ish. It came with Windows 7 as the original OS. Over the years, it has updated to newer versions all on its own. It's now running Windows 10.A couple of weeks ago, it was attempting to update to the newest...
  4. Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive space: My C: Drive is Highlighted,+but full,and i cannot add anything to it.... I have an E: Drive that shows over 931 GB of space,but it is Grey-Not highlighted...seems to be dormant....How do i activate it/add to it ? Thanks John R....
  6. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive space: I have 16 GB of unused hard drive space, yet I get an error indicating that I don't have enough harddrive space to download the upgrade. How much space is required? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-space/37e9202e-eb44-4989-bc99-1b0e6172dcee
  7. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive space: My computer has a 950 gig hard drive. Somehow there is about 860 gig of temporary file useage and I can not see where the space is used at even after using the temporary file clean up function....
  8. no space on hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    no space on hard drive: hello, I have not much space left on hard drive but I don't know what is taking so much space please advice ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-space-on-hard-drive/5d048c6b-e63d-4b69-a5f0-a24668607148
  9. Does less space in hard drive means slower computer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does less space in hard drive means slower computer?: If the bar in Windows hard drive space is red, does it slows down the computer to run any software? What can slows down the computer? Too many programs installed? 126205
  10. Does less space in hard drive means slow computer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does less space in hard drive means slow computer?: If the bar in Windows hard drive space is red, does it slow down the computer to run any software? What can slows down the computer? Too many programs installed? 126205

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after reinstalling windows the hard drive less