Windows 10: Computer has missing icons on desktop and unresponsive/loading taskbar...

Discus and support Computer has missing icons on desktop and unresponsive/loading taskbar... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey! I'm not too sure if this problem occurred after hitting "Update and Shut Down," or if there is some other factor that caused this. When I turn... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dronnam, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Dronnam Win User

Computer has missing icons on desktop and unresponsive/loading taskbar...

Hey! I'm not too sure if this problem occurred after hitting "Update and Shut Down," or if there is some other factor that caused this.

When I turn on my computer, it takes me straight to the desktop, but all of my icons and programs are missing... and when I hover my mouse over the taskbar it shows the "loading" animation. I've tried hitting Shift + Clicking on Restart at the loading screen, but I have been unable to load a previous version or system recovery; it also said that the computer had an error or was unable to be Reset when I tried this.

Maybe this might be a virus? I have no idea.

Command Prompt seems to be working fine, so if it would be possible I feel like it could be fixed through this...

Please don't suggest or tell me to go to my Control Center or anything similar, because I can't do this... even on Safe Mode.

I could try to reinstall Windows too, I just don't know how to verify what version of Windows I have, and how to do this with my USB.

:)

Dronnam, Oct 19, 2018
  2. O0mix0O Win User

ALL icons missing/blank (desktop, taskbar, explorer)

Hi all,

• - Had the laptop hooked up to the TV last night via HDMI
      - Unplugged, then closed lid - putting it to sleep
      - Turned on today, no icons whatsoever.

- Tried restarting the laptop
      - Tried restarting 'explorer.exe'

Any tips for getting them back? It's annoying the hell out of me!

Thanks in advance!

Also:
    When I open the explorer when uploading or downloading something, the icons are there..

Here's a pic:

Computer has missing icons on desktop and unresponsive/loading taskbar... [​IMG]

Computer has missing icons on desktop and unresponsive/loading taskbar... [​IMG]

O0mix0O, Oct 19, 2018
  3. Desktop Icon in taskbar is missing

The Desktop icon in the taskbar is missing. Normally it is on the far right, but it has been replaced by the notifications icon.

I use the desktop icon and would like it back. At one time in one of the older Windows, you could show the desktop with a right click on the desktop. "show desktop" appeared.

Maybe they should bring that back.

Nantucketbob, Oct 19, 2018
  4. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Oct 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer has missing icons on desktop and unresponsive/loading taskbar... - Similar Threads - Computer has missing

2. Missing icon in taskbar when change desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing icon in taskbar when change desktop: Has anyone experienced this too? When moving desktops in Windows, some of the icons on the taskbar sometimes disappear, sometimes they appear again....
  3. Missing icon in taskbar when change desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing icon in taskbar when change desktop: Has anyone experienced this too? When moving desktops in Windows, some of the icons on the taskbar sometimes disappear, sometimes they appear again....
  4. Desktop unresponsive after computer has been idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop unresponsive after computer has been idle: One thing I've noticed since some time back now is how I often find my Windows 11 desktop being unresponsive after I haven't used the computer for a while.What happens is when I move the mouse cursor to for instance open a folder I have on my Desktop, the folder icon isn't...
  5. Desktop unresponsive after computer has been idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop unresponsive after computer has been idle: One thing I've noticed since some time back now is how I often find my Windows 11 desktop being unresponsive after I haven't used the computer for a while.What happens is when I move the mouse cursor to for instance open a folder I have on my Desktop, the folder icon isn't...
  6. Missing taskbar and Icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing taskbar and Icons on desktop: Within the last week my desktop changed. I lost all links I had posted and lost the taskbar. What appeared is the display one used to get when clicking the WINDOWS icon, bottom left. New computer, Windows 10 32 bit. How do I remove the current dislay on desktop & restore...
  7. Desktop and taskbar not loading

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop and taskbar not loading: When I booted my pc up this morning, I logged in and my desktop would not load my apps, and my taskbar wouldn't either. My taskbar also gives me a spinning cursor whenever I hover over it and I cannot navigate to or open any apps to fix this....
  8. taskbar missing and desktop icons missing_black background no icons

in Windows 10 Support
    taskbar missing and desktop icons missing_black background no icons: My taskbar is missing and my icons on the desktop are missing as well the background is dark kindly help*Shock 24989
  9. Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more...

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more...: Hi, My computer's desktop is blank (black) with no desktop icons. [img] My task bar icons are missing. My windows button doesn't open. I can not access settings (even using CTRL R -> ms-settings: OR right-clicking task-bar. It "times out"). There is "no...
  10. Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed: This morning when I booted up my desktop, all of my icons on the desktop were missing, although the shortcut is still there and works. The icons in the taskbar now have a generic looking icon. Right clicking on the start menu no longer brings up the menu and when I go to file...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black desktop and unresponsive task bar