Windows 10: Computer Icon wearing a hat appears in system tray

Discus and support Computer Icon wearing a hat appears in system tray in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have odd behavior suddenly where a computer icon appears in my system tray, sometimes several, and the computer is wearing a hat. I have reverse... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MangoKeith, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Computer Icon wearing a hat appears in system tray

I have odd behavior suddenly where a computer icon appears in my system tray, sometimes several, and the computer is wearing a hat. I have reverse image searched this icon, and found one other forum thread on it, but no answer has been given to what it is. The only things I have installed since I noticed this happening were Node.Js & npm, Chocolatey, and SourceTree. Any information at all on what this icon indicates would be helpful, because I have no idea. It very closely resembles some of the SSH icons you'd see in PuTTY, but could not find it in their documentation to see if I can figur

:)

MangoKeith, Jun 19, 2022

2. Disappearing System Tray icon

I have a situation where my Macrium Reflect "backup-in-progress" icon stops being displayed. I've reported this to Macrium, but I'd like to better understand what is going on ... including how System Tray (a.k.a. notification area) icons are displayed.

I'm running Win 10 2004 and (if it matters) Macrium Reflect Home 7.3.5289.

This problem regularly occurs on only 1 of my 4 computers, and appears to be associated with Remote Desktop access and/or disconnected mode.

On "attended" computers (i.e., not using RDP access) the backup icon is always displayed, either in the System Tray or in the list of hidden icons, when MR runs a backup. But access via RDP seems to mess this up. I can reproduce the problem on any (well, at least 2) of my computers by the following scheme:

1. Start with the computer in a "Locked" state.
    2. Connect to the computer using Remote Desktop.
    3. Manually start a scheduled backup. The icon appears in System Tray.
    4. Disconnect the Remote Desktop connection. This puts the computer in a Locked state but the backup runs to completion.
    5. Wait for the computer to enter Sleep state.
    6. Wake the computer with "Wake on Lan" processing and connect with Remote Desktop again.
    7. Manually start another backup. This time the icon is not displayed.
    8. Disconnect Remote Desktop and log in locally.
    9. Start another backup. The icon is still not displayed.
    10. Reboot and start another backup. The icon is displayed.

I know nothing about the Windows notification processing so this my be a really dumb question, but is there something trying to display a Systems Tray icon while Windows is running disconnected that would make Windows flag the icon as unusable? I know that can't be universal since I have most of my System Tray icons seem bothered by this.

pokeefe0001, Jun 19, 2022
  3. How to recover hidden icon in System tray on Windows 10?

Hi Callum,

As you are facing issues with un-hiding the icon in System tray, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know which is the icon you have deleted from the system tray for better assistance?

I suggest you to try the below steps to add the icons to Taskbar and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key, click on Settings.
    • Click on System> Notifications & actions.
    • Click on Select which icons appear on taskbar (to select the icons that appear on Taskbar)
      and also click on Turn system icons on or off

Hope it helps. If the issue still persists, let us know with brief description for further assistance. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 19, 2022
  4. Computer Icon wearing a hat appears in system tray

Windows Defender Icon not appearing on system tray

I am a Windows 10 user. I uninstalled Norton AV after I received advise to do so from the Microsoft community experts. I did remove it and activated Windows Defender. But the windows defender
    icon is not visible in the system tray. I tried various means. I am not an IT expert. So didn't succeed. Can someone suggest me a method using which the system tray would show the windows defender icon?

My concern is, Norton icon used to be seen and whenever there was an issue with system security, the icon would either turn red or appear with warning signs. That assisted me to work and resolve the issue.

I would want the windows defender to help me identify and warn. Please help. Thanks.

BalakrishnanK Nair, Jun 19, 2022
Thema:

Computer Icon wearing a hat appears in system tray

1. Computer Icon wearing a hat appears in system tray - Similar Threads - Computer Icon wearing

2. Computer Icon wearing a hat appears in system tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Icon wearing a hat appears in system tray: I have odd behavior suddenly where a computer icon appears in my system tray, sometimes several, and the computer is wearing a hat. I have reverse image searched this icon, and found one other forum thread on it, but no answer has been given to what it is. The only things I...
  3. Computer Icon wearing a hat appears in system tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Icon wearing a hat appears in system tray: I have odd behavior suddenly where a computer icon appears in my system tray, sometimes several, and the computer is wearing a hat. I have reverse image searched this icon, and found one other forum thread on it, but no answer has been given to what it is. The only things I...
  4. strange task tray icon. computer with a cowboy hat

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    strange task tray icon. computer with a cowboy hat: Hey I am getting this strange icon in my task bar. The last time it appeared was while / after unzipping a file. When I hover over it, it disappears.Does anyone know this?...
  5. Computer icon in system tray says 'Not Connected'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer icon in system tray says 'Not Connected': I have installed Office 365 on my computer. However, when I go to activate it on Word, it says it can't because I'm not connected to the internet. This is a problem with my device that I can't figure out how to fix. I am connected to WiFi and can access anything online....
  6. System tray not appearing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    System tray not appearing.: My system tray has not been appearing for a month or so. My taskbar where the system tray should be is empty. see image [ATTACH] When I check settings to show them, the options have been grayed out and I cannot change them. [ATTACH] I have tried regedit and looking for...
  7. Windows Defender Icon not appearing on system tray

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Icon not appearing on system tray: I am a Windows 10 user. I uninstalled Norton AV after I received advise to do so from the Microsoft community experts. I did remove it and activated Windows Defender. But the windows defender icon is not visible in the system tray. I tried various means. I am not an IT...
  8. System Tray Icon

System Tray Icon: I have a vision problem and the Safely Remove Icon is very hard for me to see. I would like to change the icon to something more visible. I can't seem to find it in the registry. Thank you....
  9. system tray icons

system tray icons: I received an update to Win 10 and ever since the update, I am only able to see two icons on the system tray at the same time. For example, I now have the speaker icon and the wifi "fan" icon on the system tray. I would like to also have the battery icon on like I've always...
  10. Change appearance of the Action Center Icons in System Tray

Change appearance of the Action Center Icons in System Tray: I find the simple flat Windows 10 icons for the Action Center in the System Tray, for example, [img] or [img] , very difficult to see and differentiate. I know that one can change the appearance of icons for other items in the system tray but I have not been able to...