Windows 10: Computer in Continual Restart after update

Discus and support Computer in Continual Restart after update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; One of my computers received the May 2004 update over the weekend. When I woke it up, there was a message that the computer needed to restart. Should I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gator5000e, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Computer in Continual Restart after update

One of my computers received the May 2004 update over the weekend. When I woke it up, there was a message that the computer needed to restart. Should I restart it now or later. Foolishly, i said OK to the restart now. Now the blue screen saying "Restarting" has been on for 15-20 minutes. The hard drive light is illuminating once every 5 seconds or so. The screen does not say almost there nor does it give a percentage of completion. It just says Restarting.

Is there anything I can do? Will shutting it off and restarting be catastrophic?

Thanks for any thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I took a chance and hard powered it off. Waited a couple of minutes and powered it back on. I am now seeing this message: Working on updates. 100% complete Don't turn off your computer.Took a few minutes but it then said restarting and now it appears to be restarting again. Went to a screen that said 67% update complete, then 100% complete. Now it's finally on my log in screen. Whew.

:)

Gator5000e, Jul 20, 2020

2. After update computer boots to Bios screen

Hi Denise,

Automatic restart after an update may be caused by a hardware failure. As our initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Press Windows and type "view advanced system settings".
    • Select View advanced system settings.
    • Under the Startup and Recovery section, click
      Settings.
    • Under System Failure, remove the check mark next to
      Automatically restart
      and click OK.
    • Restart your computer.

Get back to us with the status of the issue.

Dennis Mop, Jul 20, 2020
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Computer in Continual Restart after update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jul 20, 2020
  4. Computer in Continual Restart after update

After Windows 10 update computer will not restart

Hi Tony,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer.

What is the error message you get when you start the computer?

I suggest you to start the computer in Safe Mode and check if it works:

If you can't open Settings, get to startup options from the sign-in screen:

• On the sign-in screen, hold the Shift
      key down while you select Power
      > Restart
      (in the lower-right corner of the screen).
    • After your PC restarts to the Choose an option
      screen, select Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options
      > Startup Settings
      > Restart.
    • After your PC restarts, select a startup setting from the list of options by pressing the corresponding number on your keyboard.

Please reply with the results, we are happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

Computer in Continual Restart after update

1. Computer in Continual Restart after update - Similar Threads - Computer Continual Restart

2. Update never finish but it will continue on restarting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update never finish but it will continue on restarting: My update runs forever and never finish. It will restart my computer multiple times and will not stop until I force shutdown my computer. I need my computer for my work so I need to finish it but as soon I check my settings the update never install. I need some Microsoft to...
  3. Update never finish but it will continue on restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update never finish but it will continue on restarting: My update runs forever and never finish. It will restart my computer multiple times and will not stop until I force shutdown my computer. I need my computer for my work so I need to finish it but as soon I check my settings the update never install. I need some Microsoft to...
  4. Update never finish but it will continue on restarting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Continuous restarting on update 3days now

Continuous restarting on update 3days now: Did a shutdown on last download for newer 10 version. Restarted kater said was updating not to turn off. Let do what it was it restarted telling samething. Ok no problem. Now problem been doing samwthing for past 3days. Restarts saying updating....
  6. Computer is continuously restarting after updating windows. How can I fix this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer is continuously restarting after updating windows. How can I fix this?: I decided to update windows as I just got my new laptop. After the updates were installed it said that it needed to be retracted. So I restarted and since then it been restarting continuously. How can I fix this problem? submitted by /u/boardmangetspaid0 [link] [comments]...
  7. Computer Continues to Restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Continues to Restart: My laptop will not go into Safe Mode and keeps giving errors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-continues-to-restart/3568d217-6832-46e2-9b01-c7b3f46dd6ac
  8. Restarted computer to install update, now computer turns on and off continuously

Restarted computer to install update, now computer turns on and off continuously: I'm not sure what update it was, but I told it to go ahead and restart...but it never came back on after the restart. My computer turns on and off repeatedly, I cannot start it in safe mode, I cannot do anything...it just turns on and off over and over every few seconds....
  9. Malwarebytes update keeps freezing my computer and it restarts continually

Malwarebytes update keeps freezing my computer and it restarts continually: I just allowed Malwarebytes to install an update and now computer is freezing up and restarts on its own. How do I uninstall malwarebyte update. I already tried going into updates on the control panel and doesn't show malwarebyte update. Thanks!...
  10. Computer will not restart after update

Computer will not restart after update: After the last windows update my computer kept restarting I decided to restore my computer, but now it will not accept my live.com password. I changed my password and it will still not accept the password. I can now get to the command prompt, but that is the only thing I can...