Windows 10: Computer is Ignoring Restarts When Active Hours End

Discus and support Computer is Ignoring Restarts When Active Hours End in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Opening up a discussion of this issue, I will use a series of numbered steps to follow allow best. 1.) I am running Windows 10 Build 1809. Active... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JackPlatt, Aug 17, 2019.

1. JackPlatt Win User

Computer is Ignoring Restarts When Active Hours End

Opening up a discussion of this issue, I will use a series of numbered steps to follow allow best.

1.) I am running Windows 10 Build 1809. Active Hours are set for 7am-11PM.

2.) I also have "Send notifications when computer needs to be restarted to finish updating" checked.

3.) I will often get a first toaster pop-up about the need to restart about 7PM that evening on Patch Tuesday, sometimes Wednesday.

4.) What's happening is that I go to bed, and the next morning, I find that the updates are still sitting in the query.

5.) Regards to step #4. this can happen for three or four days. Finally, on like maybe the fifth or sixth day, I wake up and I find that the updates installed.

6.) Back when I had 1803, I never had this issue, I would even get a notification in Action Center that "The Computer has been Restarted" and updates were installed. I have never had this notice in build 1809.

7.) Sometimes I will get the notice of "Your Computer will need to Restart Outside of Active Hours, with Action Center luminating about it, but than I click OK and there's nothing in Windows Update to install. (This happened in 1709 and 1803.)

8.) Once therewere updates in the query relating to a need to restart. I did a CTRL+F4 when power came back on because I didn't want to update. When I restarted the machine, the updates in the query were gone and had actually installed two nights before!

9.) I ran the Administrative Command Prompt, Restore Health Check, and System File Checker, as well as check disk, some errors were fixed and than I rebooted, and the computer runs well other wise. It is fast, clean of malware, and has no other issues.

10.) This isn't just me, another user reported seeing FIVE toaster pop-ups about his computer needing to be restarted after Active Hours. I don't think I have had that many.

11.) It seems that if the sensors from any mouse or keyboard inputs are done when not during Active Hours, any reboots will carry on into the next day and maybe subsequent days after that.

Jack

:)

JackPlatt, Aug 17, 2019

2. windows 10 is NOT restarting after a windows update even if is outside of active hours.

It won't immediately reboot the moment the time passes your active hours (that's not how it was designed). You might think it would restart instantly at 5:01 PM if your active hours end at 5, but that's not how it was built. The Active Hours is to
    prevent you from being hassled/interrupted during your work times.

The Active Hours mean "it will never restart during those hours". But it does not mean that it
    absolutely will restart when those hours end.

The restart screen should tell you when the restart is actually going to happen, or also let you 'schedule a time'. But for most users, it is designed to be ignored and out of mind, and you just use your system normally without worrying about micro-managing
    it. Of course if you are an enthusiast or just enjoy it, you can.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 17, 2019
  3. Lenzmic Win User
    active hours, useless apps etc

Thanks for that Martmcd

It was a hypothetical question. I have not suffered any financial loss.

It's just that Active Hours is, in my opinion, a retrograde step. I much prefer the Win 7 approach to updates, where we had the choice of when to install them.

My computer is unattended for some 17 hours per day. Which is why I am caught unawares.) Also some users are active 24/7, MS should take this into account.

Since the last update, I have started to set active hours from 0800 to 2000 then at around 1100 reset active hours to 1100 to 2300, rather tedious but effective.

Thanks for your reply.

Lenzmic, Aug 17, 2019
  4. Computer is Ignoring Restarts When Active Hours End

Disable Active hours?

Hello Daniel,

If you wish to add more hours or to have an option to turn off the Active Hours, then the feature is currently unavailable on Windows phone. It is best if you can send a suggestion to make the features available using the
    Feedback Hub app. To send a suggestion on your Windows phone, you can follow the steps provided below:

• Go to All Apps, search for the Feedback
      Hub app.
    • Open the menu icon at the top left side.
    • Select Feedback, then at the top right side, tap the
      add
      button (+).
    • Select Suggestionand fill up the box with the details needed.
    • Select the right category and then Submit.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask the community.

Michael Rey, Aug 17, 2019
Thema:

Computer is Ignoring Restarts When Active Hours End

1. Computer is Ignoring Restarts When Active Hours End - Similar Threads - Computer Ignoring Restarts

2. Active Hours for Restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Active Hours for Restarts: I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need...
  3. Active Hours for Restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Active Hours for Restarts: I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need...
  4. Stop windows update from ignoring active hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stop windows update from ignoring active hours: Hi,At 2PM my computer restarted without my consent to try and fail, 0x800f0922 to install an update KB5003173. I just lost 2 hours of work. And it restarted again at 2:20 PM, still without consent and still without managing to install that update. Why did Windows update...
  5. Computer Not Restarting Outside of Active Hours Build 1909

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Not Restarting Outside of Active Hours Build 1909: Guys, Ever since build 1803, I have had intermittent issues with my computer not restarting once Active Hours have ended. My Active Hours are set from 7AM to 1 AM, and around Patch Tuesday, or a day or so later, I correctly get a notice in Action Center that my PC needs to...
  6. My laptop has been on the restarting screen for hours on end now.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My laptop has been on the restarting screen for hours on end now.: I have tried Ctrl+alt+delete but that didn't do anything at all. Right now I am just trying to let it run out of battery. submitted by /u/Sahil0327 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fi4wak/my_laptop_has_been_on_the_restarting_screen_for/
  7. Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting: My laptop is often left in my work bag overnight, or other places where having said laptop running for hours is not convenient or downright bad for the system. If I get hoe from work and I don't use the laptop that evening, it stays in my backpack all night. There have been...
  8. Restart computer now or wait one hour.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Restart computer now or wait one hour.: Hello everybody, I keep getting Windows will update. Restart computed now or wait one hour. How can I stop it. Don Cole 141857
  9. Windows 10 Downloads Ignoring Active Hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Downloads Ignoring Active Hours: How can I stop Windows 10 from performing it's very large Windows Updates download during normal business hours? I have 'Active Hours' set to non-business hours but Windows 10 will still download massive amounts of data over a limited WAN connection. One Windows 10 system...
  10. Delaying restart for updates beyond 'active hours'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delaying restart for updates beyond 'active hours': Hi, with the anniversary upgrade, an active hours period of up to 12 hours is provided, after which, assuming one's PC is on, it will restart if so required for a Windows update. I realised that programs such as 'Don't Sleep' which optionally block shutdown, hibernate,...