Windows 10: Computer is slow because of updates, scans, etc.

Discus and support Computer is slow because of updates, scans, etc. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; How do I keep my computer from doing update work (downloading, install, searching, etc.) when I need to use my computer? It also works on scans and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ed 72, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Ed 72 Win User

Computer is slow because of updates, scans, etc.

How do I keep my computer from doing update work (downloading, install, searching, etc.) when I need to use my computer? It also works on scans and other "house-keeping" tasks. How can I set my computer to only work on these when I am not using the computer?

:)

Ed 72, Oct 14, 2019
  2. Mayra Aqu Win User

Updates slowing computer performance

Hi,

Listed below are possible causes why Windows is running slow:

• Too many application installed.
    • Virus and malware.
    • Corrupted system files.
    • Outdated drivers.

For us to assist you with the concern, we suggest following the steps on this
    article

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Mayra Aqu, Oct 14, 2019
  3. Slow Computer

Hi Sheree,

One of the most common reasons for a slow computer are programs running in the background. Other factors that can contribute to the issue are memory space, malware infection, outdated software, and processor overheating. To improve your computer's performance,
    you can check the tips listed on this link. We suggest that you also try to follow the suggested steps.

Feel free to post back if you have further questions.

Lov Dollente, Oct 14, 2019
  4. Mithin_EJ Win User

Prevent Windows Updates and Virus Scans from slowing down computer

Hi VSE-JLindquist,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. May I know the security software installed on your PC?
    2. What is the version of Windows 10 you are using? You can refer this article to

Check for operating system information in Windows 10.

3. May I know the make and model of your system?

If you have any third party antivirus, I would suggest you to disable the third party antivirus and use windows defender. Check if you are encountering with same issue.

Windows Defender is software that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software by detecting and removing known spyware from your computer.

For Preventing Windows Updates and Virus Scans from slowing down computer, I suggest you to Change the active hours in the settings, follow this article on

Keep your PC up to date
    , and check if that helps.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mithin_EJ, Oct 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Computer is slow because of updates, scans, etc. - Similar Threads - Computer slow updates

2. Slow When Scanning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Slow When Scanning: Whenever I run a full scan on my PC, my PC becomes unbearably slow. It becomes so slow that even Google Meet completely freezes. Is there anything I can do to minimize this?...
  3. Is Windows slowing down my computer because I didn't update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is Windows slowing down my computer because I didn't update?: This has happened to me a few times now, and I haven't found anyone talking about it. I've been postponing the latest update for Windows 10, because my computer would have to reboot and I'd rather keep the programs opened I've been working with. But slowly but surely, the...
  4. problem with microsoft malicious etc scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    problem with microsoft malicious etc scan: When I run the recent downloaded program as it gets to the end it rapidly goes up fo 58 items but at the end it reports nothing found. Something is wrong somewhere. Ron Musk * Moved from Research/Eyes First...
  5. slowness/scan

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    slowness/scan: I have left dell and got a Lenovo which im very happy with. My question is please, my wife has a dell inspirion 15 3000 series. When bought it was windows 8.2, when the free windows 10 upgrade was offered I ran the test that was provided and it was deemed this laptop would...
  6. slowness/scan

in Windows 10 Support
    slowness/scan: I have left dell and got a Lenovo which im very happy with. My question is please, my wife has a dell inspirion 15 3000 series. When bought it was windows 8.2, when the free windows 10 upgrade was offered I ran the test that was provided and it was deemed this laptop would...
  7. Slow start up etc

in Windows 10 Customization
    Slow start up etc: Slow sign in plus have to restart several times before I can get to startup page. Installed new drivers that were renewed but still have the problem with starting up. Can I get answers from this year and not from the past 3 or 4 , that didn't give me any answers that took...
  8. Computer slow downs crashes bsod etc.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer slow downs crashes bsod etc.: So lately I have been getting a ton of bsod's mostly driver_irql_not_less_or_equal and it doesn't tell me what failed. My computer has also been having constant 100% disk usage and I can barely do anything on my computer now because it keeps lagging and everything takes...
  9. Prevent Windows Updates and Virus Scans from slowing down computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent Windows Updates and Virus Scans from slowing down computer: I have a laptop that sees infrequent use. Sometimes it doesn't get used for a week or two at a time. As a result, every time that we need to use it, it's a huge hassle because we can't get any work done. The computer immediately realizes that it hasn't scanend for updates...
  10. Slow computer: slow typing: slow opening files etc., recovery etc etc - Windows memory...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Slow computer: slow typing: slow opening files etc., recovery etc etc - Windows memory...: The subject is all about how my PC is performing, however when I carry out a memory diagnostic on basic it's pretty fast, on standard a little slower, on extended it stops at (Running test pass 1 of 2: 21% complete - Overall test status: 10% complete) it sit at this from...