Windows 10: Computer keeps dropping Internet connection

Discus and support Computer keeps dropping Internet connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I bought a used computer and since I have attached it to my network I have had nothing but problems. First it seems as thought it was acting as a DHCP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by superwindow, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Computer keeps dropping Internet connection

I bought a used computer and since I have attached it to my network I have had nothing but problems. First it seems as thought it was acting as a DHCP server somehow as some devices when connecting to my network would pick up the IP address of this new computer as the default gateway. I went into device manager deleted the network adapter and let it reinstall (not sure if that is correct)

Now it is constantly losing Internet connection and getting it back. It is hard wired, running Windows 10.

Here is what ipconfig says:

Computer keeps dropping Internet connection [​IMG]

Computer keeps dropping Internet connection [​IMG]

Not sure what to do next, but it cuts in and out every 2 minutes or so now.

:)

superwindow, Aug 14, 2017

2. internet connection keeps dropping out

Hi Andre,

ASUS K52F

Thanks,

Simon

SimonCummings, Aug 14, 2017
  3. John Ado Win User
    internet connection keeps dropping

Hi Scott,

Let's isolate the issue to assist you better. Can we verify if this is only happening when you are installing Windows updates? Do you also experience the issue when downloading files from the web?

For initial troubleshooting, let's run the Network troubleshooter to help us diagnose the issue. Type
    Network troubleshooter in the search box on the taskbar and click
    Identify and repair network problems. Follow the prompt. If the troubleshooter doesn't find anything, let's run the networking commands in a elevated command prompt window. Press
    Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin). Then, do the following:

• Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
    • Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
    • Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
    • Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
    • Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Let us know how it goes.

John Ado, Aug 14, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

Computer keeps dropping Internet connection

If I understood this right... You didn't perform fresh Windows install?

When getting used computer, the first thing should be to wipe the drive clean and perform clean install of Windows.

If you really don't want to clean install (booting with Windows obtained from Microsoft... , while installing, delete all partitions and create new one), then at least reset Windows. Here are tutorial made by Brink: reset-windows-10

AndreTen, Aug 14, 2017
  5. I bought this computer from a friend with a bunch of settings and setup exactly how I want, but if there is no where to look for a setting that can be causing this than I will tackle this project.

superwindow, Aug 16, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    if it was acting as DHCP server something is running on the system removing the adapter won't stop it let's see what's going on

Please download and save FRST 64bit or FRST 32 bit to your Desktop.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST.exe

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe

Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    Make sure that Addition option is checked.
    Press Scan button.
    It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
    Please copy and paste log back .
    The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe).

Samuria, Aug 16, 2017
  7. AndreTen Win User
    If this computer is part of some special project, then telling us what it is would greatly help *Wink

Follow Samuria's advice and it will show most of it

AndreTen, Aug 16, 2017
  8. Computer keeps dropping Internet connection

OK, I will get that all done.

I use the computer to do crypto-currency mining. In this case Burstcoin which mines off storage space. Shouldn't have an impact on the network settings.

It is just about halfway through plotting more hard drive space so I won't be able to restart for 9 hours. I will post all the logs after that.

Thanks!

superwindow, Aug 16, 2017
  9. Here are the logs:

FRST.txt Addition.txt

superwindow, Aug 17, 2017
  10. Bumping now that I have posted the required docs

superwindow, Aug 22, 2017
  11. AndreTen Win User
    Sorry about that @superwindow. Setting up mining computer scared me off *Wink Don't have any kind of experience what have to run and what not.

That ccboot.exe from (Youngzsoft) is kind of proxy software, and if not properly configured could cause some mess. But have no idea, if you have to run it or not...

otherwise, I would disable WiFi adapter and IPv6

Good luck

AndreTen, Aug 22, 2017
  12. Nope, I don't need to run it at all. I will uninstall and disable the items suggested.

superwindow, Aug 22, 2017
  13. AndreTen Win User

OK, I'll follow this thread.

Check network cable, while you're at it, and possibly assign fixed IP address to your PC on router.

AndreTen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer keeps dropping Internet connection - Similar Threads - Computer keeps dropping

2. driver keeps failing and dropping internet connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    driver keeps failing and dropping internet connection: Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc. - Net - 9/16/2018 12:00:00 AM - 12.0.0.725 Qualcomm Atheros Communications - Bluetooth - 9/17/2018 12:00:00 AM - 10.0.0.725 I want to uninstall this, ever since this install my computer loses all connections to any wifi network. The...
  3. Internet keeps dropping

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet keeps dropping: My internet connection keeps going off and on line. I have restarted my computer and reset the router, troubleshoot the connection and it comes back with no problems. Still getting dropped connections...
  4. Internet connection keeps dropping in Windows 10

Internet connection keeps dropping in Windows 10: I'm using windows 10 and Verizon wifi. I'm not a tekkie so can't tackle complicated issues. My router is a year old. It sits 3 ft away from my PC. Probably 25 times a day I lose wifi on the pc, but not on my laptop. Can you give me any ideas as to why this is happening...
  5. Internet Connection keeps on dropping

Internet Connection keeps on dropping: I just got a new PC and use an ethernet cable for connecting to the internet. Well the internet keeps on losing connection every 20 seconds. I tried restarting my router, my PC and I also unplugged and plugged the cable multiple times but nothing seems to have fixed the...
  6. Internet connection keeps dropping out

Internet connection keeps dropping out: With out warning connection is lost cause the default Gateway is not available according to the checker. Still trying to sort that out and machine keeps crashing and freezing Any help would be grateful...
  7. Internet connection keeps dropping

Internet connection keeps dropping: My internet connection keeps dropping. I have changed my network to private, changed my hardware settings to not allow computer to turn off my network card, I have updated my driver for my network card. The problem only happens on this windows 10 computer, all of my other...
  8. Computer keeps dropping internet although it shows connected

Computer keeps dropping internet although it shows connected: I am running Windows 10 1803 with latest updates. Recently started losing internet connection although the computer shows that I am connected with the internet. I lose the internet both when connected through LANs and when connected through WI-FI. Other computers and...
  9. Ethernet keeps dropping internet connection

Ethernet keeps dropping internet connection: This has been driving me nuts for months, please help! I am running Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), up to date, I have a Dell and their software is keeping all drivers up to date too. I'm trying to use ethernet rather than WiFi for gigabit speeds across my network, however, the...
  10. Internet Connection Keeps Dropping

Internet Connection Keeps Dropping: I appreciate that this is a common Internet topic but I simply can't find a solution. Before upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 I ran the check which advised that my system is compatible and then updated it. Everything ran fine for about a day, but since then my Wifi Internet...