Windows 10: Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...

Discus and support Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; The title is pretty self explainatory. I could be doing anything and then the screen just freezes. Already performed a memory check and nothing was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by YoukaiJSGB, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...

The title is pretty self explainatory. I could be doing anything and then the screen just freezes. Already performed a memory check and nothing was wrong, tried sfc /scannow and it said it fixed something two of the several times I ran it ~5, but it keeps just doing it. Any ideas?Also, I found this while looking through event manager:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000133 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000501, 0x0000000000000500, 0xfffff8054451c340. A dump was s

:)

YoukaiJSGB, Dec 1, 2022

2. Computer not booting to desktop, stuck at Restarting screen

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting in Community.

The issue might occur if the system is not Shut down properly. As you have already tried restarting the system several times, I suggest you to perform a Power Drain by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Turn Off the computer and remove the power cable.
    • Long press the Power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Plug in the power cable and switch on the computer.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 1, 2022
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to turn off computer at the Welcome screen using the power button.

Ideally, if no user has logged in to the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, I would suggest you to check the settings for power button. Refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Power Options.
    2. Click on Additional power settings.
    3. Now, click on Choose what power button does from the left pane.
    4. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    5. Select Shut down from the drop down for
      When I press the power button.

If you are using Windows 10 Pro, you may also want to check the Group Policy Settings, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Power Management\Button Settings.
    4. On the right pane, double click on Select the Power button action (plugged in), click on
      Enabled and select Shutdown from the drop down for
      Power Button Action.
    5. Repeat step 4 for Select the Power button action (on battery).
    6. Restart the computer.

If a user has logged in to the computer and then logs off from the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, if a user is logged in to the computer and locks the computer using the
    Windows key + L combination, the power button will not shutdown the computer. You will have to use the power button on the lock screen to shut down the computer.

If you do not see the shutdown button, please refer the article Shutdown:
    Allow system to be shut down without having to log on

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to provide a feedback in the
    Feedback Hub. The Feedback hub lets you tell Microsoft
    about any problems you run in to while using Windows 10 and send suggestions to help us improve your Windows experience.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 1, 2022
  4. Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...

When I press the power button sleep, hibernated, or power down don't work my screen goes off but not my pc

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

To assist you better, I would like to know when exactly you had received this error. Are you able to boot the computer?

The following steps detail how to change what happens when the power button is pressed.

By default the power button will tell the computer to shut down, if it is not set to shut down, please follow the below steps.

• In the Windows search box enter ‘Power Options’ and click on it when it appears in the list.
    • On the left of the window, click on the ‘Choose what power buttons do’ link
    • Under ‘When I press the power button’ choose the option you want to change it to
      Shut Down.
    • Click ‘Save changes’ to save the changes.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

After performing the power troubleshooter, please perform the steps that has been provided above.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Dec 1, 2022
Thema:

Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...

1. Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,... - Similar Threads - Computer keeps freezing

2. The computer often gives a black screen or freezes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The computer often gives a black screen or freezes.: In addition to my current video card RTX 3060Ti , I bought new GPU, ram and motherboard. I installed the system, but every 3-4 hours during the day, the system either freezes or gives a black screen. I converted PCIe4 to PCIe 3, installed old software, updated the bios, but I...
  3. The computer often gives a black screen or freezes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The computer often gives a black screen or freezes.: In addition to my current video card RTX 3060Ti , I bought new GPU, ram and motherboard. I installed the system, but every 3-4 hours during the day, the system either freezes or gives a black screen. I converted PCIe4 to PCIe 3, installed old software, updated the bios, but I...
  4. Computer freezing every so often

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezing every so often: I have noticed my computer freezing every so often. It happens more often when I am playing certain games. However I have noticed several events happening around the same time as the freezes. They are Events 129 and 153. I have run a memory check and storage check on the...
  5. Computer freezing every so often

Computer freezing every so often: I have noticed my computer freezing every so often. It happens more often when I am playing certain games. However I have noticed several events happening around the same time as the freezes. They are Events 129 and 153. I have run a memory check and storage check on the...
  6. Computer freezing every so often

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...

Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...: The title is pretty self explainatory. I could be doing anything and then the screen just freezes. Already performed a memory check and nothing was wrong, tried sfc /scannow and it said it fixed something two of the several times I ran it ~5, but it keeps just doing it. Any...
  8. Computer Completely Freezes Often

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Completely Freezes Often: My computer completely freezes very often (once every 1-2 days). When it freezes, I can do nothing. I cant move my mouse, I can't interact with the with the computer using the keyboard, it's just completely frozen. I have already factory reset my computer and wiped all my...
  9. BSOD Often & freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Often & freezes: My computer has been crashing the past few weeks since installation and either freezes or BSOD. Until today the BSOD has frozen on 0% and not given me dump files, despite being set up to. It crashed today and I now have a minidump file - please see attached. Thanks in...
  10. Keyboard often freezes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard often freezes: After upgrading to Windows 10 my Logitech K520 wireless keyboard often freezes when I am typing on the internet. I press a key (any alpha or numeric key), and nothing happens. No strike occurs. Must cancel app and boot system to get keyboard working again. This happens...