Windows 10: Computer keeps shutting down but remains on (fans/lights all running)

Discus and support Computer keeps shutting down but remains on (fans/lights all running) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I've tried literally everything I can think of so I'm hoping someone can help me. My computer recently started shutting down while in sleep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Redicul0us, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Computer keeps shutting down but remains on (fans/lights all running)

Hello,

I've tried literally everything I can think of so I'm hoping someone can help me. My computer recently started shutting down while in sleep mode, or more becoming unresponsive. I'd come back and tap the keyboard to wake the screen and nothing happened. The computer was still obviously running. All lights and fans were running, keyboard still lit but nothing would wake it, even holding the power button wouldnt turn it off.

But it's only happen once n awhile so I didnt think too much about it. Now the episodes are frequent, at least once a day but today it's doing it /constantly/ after some digging and checking the reliablitlity report, I saw it failed to update back in august, so I'm running windows10 version 1809 and it REFUSES to update. It downloads, gets ready to install, starts installing and gets anywhere between 7%-66% and computer soft shuts down and goes into unresponsive mode.

It only remains on now for extended periods of time in safe mode. I've tried updating I'm safe mode but when I go to settings and click update, it closes! I cannot get update and security to open in safe mode.

I've tried using scf, cmd, powershell, windows update assistant and media creator tool to try and update and all failed or didnt do anything.

I'm really at a loss at what to do. The computer was made in march, here are my parts:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX GT 29.5 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter

:)

Redicul0us, Sep 29, 2019

2. Computer does not go into shutdown / hibernate / sleep mode properly, the power light remains lit and the fan continues to run

Hi!

My laptop is an HP Pavilion 15 notebook. Since I installed W10 my computer does not go into shutdown / hibernate / sleep mode properly, the power light remains lit and the fan continues to run so I have to do a hard shutdown or sign out and from there shut
    it down.

Can anybody help?

Thank you very much!

David Anthropology, Sep 29, 2019
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Fan keeps running after upgrade to Windows 10

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Install all pending Windows and driver updates in your PC. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Please refer to the following Wiki article created by Andre Da Costa
    on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the steps suggested.

CPU fan noise after Windows 10 install

Do let us know if fan still keeps running. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Sep 29, 2019
  4. Computer keeps shutting down but remains on (fans/lights all running)

The light on the power button stays on even after shut down.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per your description, I understand that the light on the power button stays on even after shut down.

We will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may arise due to various reasons:

• System not properly shut down or might be in sleep mode.

• Power cord connected to the device.

• Change in the settings.
    I would appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• Did you make any recent changes to the settings?

• Does the CPU fan spins after the shutdown?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, (if you are using a laptop).

Unplug the charger from the lap top and check if the issue persists and also try to shut down from the lock screen.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

Computer keeps shutting down but remains on (fans/lights all running)

1. Computer keeps shutting down but remains on (fans/lights all running) - Similar Threads - Computer keeps shutting

2. My fans and lights keep running after shutdown.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My fans and lights keep running after shutdown.: I recently updated to windows 11 and then started experiencing shutdown problems. Fans and lights stay running. I have turned off fast startup, the pci express setting in power, checked drivers and believe all are up to date and done a system scan in command prompt with no...
  3. After computer shut down, fans and lights are still on and running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After computer shut down, fans and lights are still on and running: HI, Recently, my computer no longer completely shuts down after using the Windows Start Menu / Power / Shut Down option. Windows shuts down, the screen goes blank but the computer stays on i.e. power light is on and fans are running. Here's what I've done so far to try to...
  4. After computer shut down, fans and lights are still on and running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After computer shut down, fans and lights are still on and running: HI, Recently, my computer no longer completely shuts down after using the Windows Start Menu / Power / Shut Down option. Windows shuts down, the screen goes blank but the computer stays on i.e. power light is on and fans are running. Here's what I've done so far to try to...
  5. Pc fans and lights still on after shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc fans and lights still on after shut down: Hi So I am having a problem with my pc where when i shut it down my fans and lights are still on and the only thing I am able to do is hold down my power button till it turns off....
  6. Asus Laptop Fan Keeps Running When Shut Down

Asus Laptop Fan Keeps Running When Shut Down: I don't when it started, but the cooling fan runs at high speed every time I am running on battery and shut down. The battery eventually is drained, and then the fan stops. It does NOT happen when plugged in and shut down. I have tried every suggestion that I can fins online,...
  7. shut down but cooling fan still and signal light ON all time.

shut down but cooling fan still and signal light ON all time.: Dear sir, When shut down my laptop, Still cooling fan and Airplane mode light ON, mute on/off light ON... I have already update all driver but do not solve this problem...Hp elitebook g2 840 model..please sir help me.....
  8. Fan and power lights remain turned on after shutting down PC

Fan and power lights remain turned on after shutting down PC: When I turn off my computer, the screen goes back as normal, but the lights remain turned on and the fan doesn't stop. If I hold down the power button for 5 seconds, it powers off, but I want to avoid doing so everytime. I've read a lot of similar questions, but none of...
  9. All HDD keep running after shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    All HDD keep running after shut down: After shut down all HDD keeps running (1 internal and 2 external) and computer becomes unresponsive. This is something new after 4 months without to many problems. 35927
  10. Fan still running after shut lid and shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Fan still running after shut lid and shut down: Hey guys, I have noticed this problem come up on my Dell 7537 (Check out my profile for details) when I close the lid to put the computer to sleep, the HDD light turns off, but the fan continues to run, even after several hours. When I open the lid back up, it is just a...