Windows 10: Computer Locked by Scammers

Discus and support Computer Locked by Scammers in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've just got a laptop in that's running Windows 10. The owner thought he was dealing with his broadband provider as he has been having trouble with... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by alfarom, Feb 3, 2021.

1. alfarom Win User

Computer Locked by Scammers

I've just got a laptop in that's running Windows 10. The owner thought he was dealing with his broadband provider as he has been having trouble with his internet. However, it turns out it was a scam and he allowed them access to his laptop. When they asked him to login to his bank account he realised what was going on but the scammers then locked his computer. So now you can login but just get a message saying LOCKED. It then logs out after a minute or two. I've tried using a cmd prompt to see what that shows but it says it is encrypted with BitLocker which the customer says he hasn't setup.

I've included a screen shot of the locked screen.

Anything that can be done or has he lost everything?

:)

alfarom, Feb 3, 2021
  2. CarolLJ Win User
    CarolLJ, Feb 3, 2021
  3. locked out of computer by phone scammer

I have been locked out of my desktop by a phone scammer. He had info about my computer that lead me to believe he was genuine. I stupidly allowed them to remotely access my computer. When they asked for $ to "renew my firewall", I declined. Finally
    shut computer off to escape. Now I cannot get back on. What can I do now?

RichardTate1949, Feb 3, 2021
  4. stocktiki Win User

Scammer locked PC with Syskey startup password

My older, non-computer savvy Dad was just taken by the oldest trick in the book. Hoping someone can help out.

System: Toshiba Laptop. Windows 10 Home.

Scammer from "AOL" calls my dad and says his computer is corrupted. My Dad (sadly) gave him remote access. Scammer installed a password using Syskey startup. Now, on startup, Dad gets a black screen with message "This computer is configured to require a password in order to start up. Please enter the startup password below."

He's tried to get into the F8 menu by turning on PC and pressing F8, but the system goes straight into the password.

Can anyone help? Is there an easy fix I can help my Dad do remotely by talking him over it the phone?
    Computer Locked by Scammers [​IMG]

stocktiki, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Computer Locked by Scammers - Similar Threads - Computer Locked Scammers

2. scammers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    scammers: Does Windows support have a telephone number 844-959-4947 or was I scammed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scammers/fc90eb4b-2655-4f9f-824f-d016c17d5ccf
  3. scammers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    scammers: Does Windows support have a telephone number 844-959-4947 or was I scammed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scammers/fc90eb4b-2655-4f9f-824f-d016c17d5ccf
  4. How do unlocking a computer after scammer has locked it?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do unlocking a computer after scammer has locked it?: How do unlocking a laptop after scammer has locked it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-do-unlocking-a-computer-after-scammer-has/cbfc2326-6f7f-40c7-80b6-b06844d55a22
  5. scammer

scammer: I was trying to get on amazon and a warning page popped up that told me multiple accounts were being hacked into. How can I make that not pop up/do I forever need to just remember not to click that? It was the same exact message that another person had commented and written...
  6. Scammer accessing my computer

Scammer accessing my computer: He said he worked for MS said my anti virus had expired, He said he needed to access my PC to install the new software. It took me 15 mins on the phone with him to make up my mind, weather or not to give him access, to my computer, but I did! MORON Any ways The...
  7. scammers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    scammers: Has anyone ever been contacted by "My Expert Advice"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scammers/42e9f388-4590-4af9-8852-4415ebf9ca99"
  8. Scammers

Scammers: Some time ago I received a phone call a man with a gruff Asian voice told me to turn on my computer because there was a fault . I thought it was Virgin Media and did as he asked . (I should have realised Virgin don't call you) He took over remote support look at all these...
  9. scammers

scammers: I allowed a scammer into my computer, what can i do to undo it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/scammers/6c445d29-0d92-49ce-84ee-4f537787cb2d
  10. Scammer locked PC with Syskey startup password

in Windows 10 Support
    Scammer locked PC with Syskey startup password: My older, non-computer savvy Dad was just taken by the oldest trick in the book. Hoping someone can help out. System: Toshiba Laptop. Windows 10 Home. Scammer from "AOL" calls my dad and says his computer is corrupted. My Dad (sadly) gave him remote access. Scammer...