Windows 10: Computer lost saved state upon waking from sleep

Discus and support Computer lost saved state upon waking from sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Rather occasionally, like around 4-5x a month, when I wake my laptop from sleep, no previously running applications will be running and the desktop is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nabbyG, Jun 2, 2017.

1. nabbyG Win User

Computer lost saved state upon waking from sleep

Rather occasionally, like around 4-5x a month, when I wake my laptop from sleep, no previously running applications will be running and the desktop is clean as if it was rebooted. There is no BSOD as well.

Any ideas on how to narrow down the issue ? Cheers *Smile

Edit:
    I tried running Driver Verifier as per the tutorial, but upon reboot a BSOD due to iorate.sys occurred. It seems like Driver Verifier didn't get a chance to verify anything *Shock

:)

nabbyG, Jun 2, 2017

2. Windows 10 sleep/wake BSOD

Still getting the BSOD upon wake from sleep... Machine will not record a .dmp file and I suspect it is because, as I originally stated, the drive is getting lost when put into sleep mode.. rendering the machine incapable of logging anything or performing
    any function other than a hard restart. What should I do now?

DKflip1981, Jun 2, 2017
  3. KevinEA Win User
    Computer reboots instead of wakes from sleep

This made no difference. Upon trying to wake the computer, it goes into BIOS. The Windows boot drive is absent in the BIOS boot order list, so I have to turn the computer off, then reboot. Upon booting, any windows that were open prior to sleep are now
    closed (i.e., it is a cold boot, not a wake from sleep).

KevinEA, Jun 2, 2017
  4. Computer lost saved state upon waking from sleep

Hi nabbyG.

Could you share what windows version and build you are running?

Any chance that your computer is going from sleep to hibernate and then not waking from hibernation correctly, thus the reboot.

As a test you could shut hibernation off. This will disable Windows Fast Startup but it is just a test.

At a command prompt(admin)

powercfg -h off

to re-enable same command just with the word "On" (no quotes)

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 2, 2017
  5. nabbyG Win User
    Windows Version 1607 , build 14393.119

Okay thanks, I have disabled hibernation and see if the issue reoccurs again or not *Smile

When you say going from sleep to hibernate, you are meaning that the computer enters hibernation while it is in sleep state ?

nabbyG, Jun 2, 2017
  6. Yes. It sleeps so long then to save power it enters the next level of power savings, hibernation.

Some machine don't hibernate well. Not sure why it would start this behaviour but this relentless driver updating processes from Windows could be involved (or not).

Caledon Ken, Jun 2, 2017
  7. nabbyG Win User
    Ah that makes sense now. I have noticed that sometimes when I return to my sleeping laptop after a long time, my laptop will not be asleep, but displaying the login screen. I suppose this is due to sleep --> hibernation process not being successful.

nabbyG, Jun 3, 2017
  8. Computer lost saved state upon waking from sleep

That could be.

One other thing to check is what happens when you machine BSOD's. This maybe the failure you don't see. Not saying your machine is BSOD'ing.

I set my machines to not automatically restart after a BSOD. To do this

Press Windows Key +R, type sysdm.cpl, enter, click Advance tab, click on “Setting” in Startup and Recovery section. Remove check mark from “Automatically restart”.

If you have a BSOD you will have to shut down and then power on.

Now the fact that your machine is at the log in screen could also mean it was awakened and not a BSOD. If you login then you can ask Windows who gave the command to wake up. At a command prompt(admin)

powercfg -lastwake

Lots of machines don't sleep as well as they should. Even small vibrations with sensitive mice can issue the wake up call.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Computer lost saved state upon waking from sleep

1. Computer lost saved state upon waking from sleep - Similar Threads - Computer lost saved

2. PC Restarts Upon Waking From Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Restarts Upon Waking From Sleep: My computer restarts when I wake it from sleep. I am confident this is not a hardware issue as everything works as it should on Linux. I disabled restart when there is an error, and when I wake it, the peripherals do not light up, or appear to connect at all. I already tried...
  3. PC Restarts Upon Waking From Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Restarts Upon Waking From Sleep: My computer restarts when I wake it from sleep. I am confident this is not a hardware issue as everything works as it should on Linux. I disabled restart when there is an error, and when I wake it, the peripherals do not light up, or appear to connect at all. I already tried...
  4. PFN_List_Corrupt Right Upon Waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PFN_List_Corrupt Right Upon Waking from Sleep: Unfortunately as of late I'm getting the "PFN_list_corrupt" error on almost every wake up from sleep. I had 2 external HDD's plugged in thinking maybe those were the issue, however it still persists when unplugged. I did a check on my main SSD with seemingly no issues, also...
  5. PFN_List_Corrupt Right Upon Waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PFN_List_Corrupt Right Upon Waking from Sleep: Unfortunately as of late I'm getting the "PFN_list_corrupt" error on almost every wake up from sleep. I had 2 external HDD's plugged in thinking maybe those were the issue, however it still persists when unplugged. I did a check on my main SSD with seemingly no issues, also...
  6. PFN_List_Corrupt Right Upon Waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  7. Wake up from Sleep state

in Windows 10 Support
    Wake up from Sleep state: I have a annoying issue: my PC (Win10 64 bit, version 1909, - desktop HP) [img] is wake up from Sleep mode randomly, without any apparent user intervention. Of course, I checked in my command line powercfg -devicequery wake_armed, and as response I got NONE. However, my...
  8. Freeze or Blue Screen Upon Wake from Sleep

Freeze or Blue Screen Upon Wake from Sleep: After upgrading to NVMe m.2 SSD, I have been experiencing freeze or blue screen upon wake from sleep. Sometimes the machine loads the background with no login prompt or date/time information, and sometimes the machine goes to blue screen. I reset; normal startup. I have...
  9. BSOD upon waking from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD upon waking from sleep: Attachment 133661 A new laptop with Windows 10 freezing when waking from sleep. BSOD: irql not less or equal. Please help.. Thank you very much! 83616
  10. Problems waking from sleep state

Problems waking from sleep state: Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64 has an issue waking from sleep. Moving mouse/pressing keyboard wakes the computer, and once desktop displays, the mouse and keyboard does not function and ethernet has red X. Mouse is wireless (USB transceiver) and switching USB ports will...