Windows 10: Computer Management/Disk Management hangs on disconnecting USB drives

Discus and support Computer Management/Disk Management hangs on disconnecting USB drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently acquired a Lenovo ThinkPad T480 and notice the Computer Management - Disk Management console is prone to hanging whenever I disconnect USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by icelava, Jun 10, 2019.

1. icelava Win User

Computer Management/Disk Management hangs on disconnecting USB drives

I recently acquired a Lenovo ThinkPad T480 and notice the Computer Management - Disk Management console is prone to hanging whenever I disconnect USB drives. I have to kill the process externally by way of the unresponsive dialog prompt.

Computer Management/Disk Management hangs on disconnecting USB drives 461ca1f1-3d15-43cf-aa7c-0443d8a4c9af?upload=true.jpg

My other computers seem to be able to deal with disconnects and dynamically update Disk Management just fine. Is this is problem with the OS or laptop hardware?

:)

icelava, Jun 10, 2019
  2. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Jun 10, 2019
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jun 10, 2019
  4. henryvo1 Win User

the usb disk drive is shown in "Disk management" but NOT in File manager

the usb disk drive is shown in "Disk management" but NOT in File manager

please help

henryvo1, Jun 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Computer Management/Disk Management hangs on disconnecting USB drives - Similar Threads - Computer Management Disk

2. No visibility in Disk Manager of USB backup drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No visibility in Disk Manager of USB backup drive: I bought a 2.5 inch 1Tb drive to serve as a recovery device. It is connected via a SATA/USB adapter to a USB port on the rear panel of the PC. It is not visible in File Manager, the Disk Managaer aplet, Device Manager, nor is it appearing in the UEFI BIOS. The BIOS settings...
  3. Disk Management Hangs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Management Hangs: Hi, so the problem is I was shrinking my drive to create another partition. Then I accidentally exit disk management, and when Iied to open it again it just says "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service". So then I tried to cancel the shrinking process of the drive in "Defragment...
  4. Disk Managment hanging when I plug in my USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Managment hanging when I plug in my USB drive: I recently bought a handful of USB drives so I could have more space on my computer, but they're caused at least one problem, so I had two plugged in and when I opened disk managment to do something, it hung on Loading Disk Configuration Information, (...
  5. disk management on remote computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk management on remote computer: Hi, in Disk Management (W10) I don't see an option for connection to remote computer. Just wondering is it possible by another means... Thanks. 150008
  6. USB drive not appearing in This PC but visible in Disk Management

in Windows 10 News
    USB drive not appearing in This PC but visible in Disk Management: [ATTACH]If your USB drive is not appearing in This PC, but it is visible in the Disk Management panel in Windows 10, then this post […] This post USB drive not appearing in This PC but visible in Disk Management is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Disk management shows no media for usb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk management shows no media for usb drive: I just got a new usb drive, plugged it into my computer, and tried formatting it to ntfs. I got an error that said something like "formatting is taking too long; disk could not be formatted" but i dont remember exactly what it said. now whenever i plug in the drive, it shows...
  8. Computer Management/Disk Management hangs on disconnecting USB drives

Computer Management/Disk Management hangs on disconnecting USB drives: I recently acquired a Lenovo ThinkPad T480 and notice the Computer Management - Disk Management console is prone to hanging whenever I disconnect USB drives. I have to kill the process externally by way of the unresponsive dialog prompt. [ATTACH] My other computers seem...
  9. Drive is not showing in disk management but showing in my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drive is not showing in disk management but showing in my computer: While expanding my C drive it may delete Ubuntu U drive on my computer,but the space is not unallocated by that drive. Now i want to completely delete that volume (U) but it is not showing in disk management. Also it is shown in my computer but it is not opening and also not...
  10. Usb drive appears in disk management when no usb drive exists

Usb drive appears in disk management when no usb drive exists: In disk management I have disk 4 has removeable drive and the icons appears in desktop. I can eject this and the icon disappears & is removed from disk management but when I restart the PC the disk & icon re-appear although I have no usb sticks inserted in the machine. 71493