Windows 10: Computer messed up after moving files across drives

Discus and support Computer messed up after moving files across drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was trying to free up space in my C drive, so i moved the 'User' folder into the D drive and then tried deleting it from the C drive. Now my desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BrettRussell2, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Computer messed up after moving files across drives

I was trying to free up space in my C drive, so i moved the 'User' folder into the D drive and then tried deleting it from the C drive. Now my desktop background is black (like the pic I had there is now gone, I can still see the display, obviously since I'm here) and I can't access any programs or apps. I really need help fixing this for school since I'm in college.

:)

BrettRussell2, Sep 4, 2019
  2. KomouPoji Win User

how to copy files from the CD to the Computer drive

Hi Hankriegler,

I would suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click file explorer from the list.

• Select the CD/DVD drive and hit Enter.

• Select the files you want to copy from the CD/DVD, then select the drive where you want to paste or save.
    I hope the information is helpful.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Sep 4, 2019
  3. RolandJS Win User
    Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all

After getting all back in working order, may I offer a safer-way suggestion? Instead of moving folders/files; copy them from source to target one group at a time, or one huge file at a time. If no error, do the next copy on your list. Test one or more AVI or MP4 files to ensure the probability that all is well. Then, delete the now-duplicated folders/files from the source hard-drive. I too have been "burned" now and then by a Move operation that went sour somewhere; the Biggies got copied now, "smallies" can be moved.

RolandJS, Sep 4, 2019
  4. Computer messed up after moving files across drives

exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Sep 4, 2019
Thema:

Computer messed up after moving files across drives

1. Computer messed up after moving files across drives - Similar Threads - Computer messed moving

2. Messed up moving location of Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Messed up moving location of Desktop: I had a laptop with a small 500GB SSD main drive c:\I installed another 2TB SSD as drive d:\I put all my stuff on d:\, in folders not in the root. There's a lot of stuff!I like to use the Windows Desktop as a working area but some of it is bulky so I wanted to move it to...
  3. Messed up moving location of Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Messed up moving location of Desktop: I had a laptop with a small 500GB SSD main drive c:\I installed another 2TB SSD as drive d:\I put all my stuff on d:\, in folders not in the root. There's a lot of stuff!I like to use the Windows Desktop as a working area but some of it is bulky so I wanted to move it to...
  4. Drive is messed up

Drive is messed up: I don't think this requires much elaboration to be honest.I don't understand what's happening here. I highlighted all the files including greyed out ones and clicked properties. It stops here at 280gb despite my PC saying only 182gb is free whereas it should be 600gb+...
  5. Drive is messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive is messed up: I don't think this requires much elaboration to be honest.I don't understand what's happening here. I highlighted all the files including greyed out ones and clicked properties. It stops here at 280gb despite my PC saying only 182gb is free whereas it should be 600gb+...
  6. Drive is messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Moving Game from drive D to C messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Game from drive D to C messed up: I downloaded a game Forza Horizon 5 on my hdd Drive D and wanted to move it to drive C. I wanted to try the move feature I saw when I went to uninstall the game from the add or remove programs section of settings so I did. I went to move it to C and left it. An hour later I...
  8. Moving Game from drive D to C messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Game from drive D to C messed up: I downloaded a game Forza Horizon 5 on my hdd Drive D and wanted to move it to drive C. I wanted to try the move feature I saw when I went to uninstall the game from the add or remove programs section of settings so I did. I went to move it to C and left it. An hour later I...
  9. Moving Game from drive D to C messed up

10. C drive is messed up?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C drive is messed up?: I think I screwed up my C drive. I somehow deleted it, then copied it from a jump drive. It did say C/windows. Then I renamed it C:/drive. When I click on C drive I'm using the dark theme all programs listed on main page in center are grayed outcan't hardly read them. When...