Windows 10: Computer Name change after Clean Install

Discus and support Computer Name change after Clean Install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just 'Clean Installed' my system - mainly to resolve the integrity issues being reported when I ran sfc /scannow. Seems to have resolved the issue as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ashleyg, Oct 30, 2019.

1. ashleyg Win User

Computer Name change after Clean Install

Just 'Clean Installed' my system - mainly to resolve the integrity issues being reported when I ran sfc /scannow. Seems to have resolved the issue as those integrity issues are now no longer being reported.

Now running at Win 10 Pro 64-bit, V1903 b18362.449

My 'Computer name' / 'Full computer name' has changed in the System Properties.

I changed it back to its previous name with which I am familiar - so it aligns with my reference notes etc.

Questions:
    - Are there any implications of changing it back to the original system generated name?
    - On what is the default Computer name generated ie. is it totally random or based on system serial number or something?

Thanks

:)

ashleyg, Oct 30, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Oct 30, 2019
  3. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Oct 30, 2019
  4. Computer Name change after Clean Install

name changes??

If you desire a name change please do the following:

• Ask yourself if you really need a name change.
    • Make sure you have a good reason.
    • Know what you want your new name to be before you request a name change.
    • Send Urlyin a PM containing a decent explanation of your reason as well as your desired name.

Polaris573, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

Computer Name change after Clean Install

1. Computer Name change after Clean Install - Similar Threads - Computer Name change

2. Change the name of the computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change the name of the computer: May I know how can I change the name of my computer?I took it to have maintenance and they set my computer name as 'user' but I want to change the name.Thank you....
  3. Change the name of the computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change the name of the computer: May I know how can I change the name of my computer?I took it to have maintenance and they set my computer name as 'user' but I want to change the name.Thank you....
  4. Change computer name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change computer name: What happens if I change the name of my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-computer-name/c6754c42-6398-4b42-9d1a-3f7d644fe917
  5. change name of computer

change name of computer: Need to change name of computer and sign on screen. Any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-name-of-computer/4d3706d2-64d8-44ba-b0cb-5a8b442c451d
  6. Change user name created automatically during clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change user name created automatically during clean install: I have done a clean install of Win10 to a new SSD on my laptop. I was not given an opportunity to enter a username and I now see that the username that install created is not correct. How do I change it?...
  7. Changing computer name

Changing computer name: Hello I recently purchased a new hp laptop computer for my business. My coworker set up the computer not knowing what i needed computer name to be and also logged into Microsoft through it. My question is do i need to return computer to factory to change the computer and...
  8. Changing the computer name?

Changing the computer name?: Hello everyone, I need help with changing my username on the computer. now the reason i want to do it because my username is on my language and because of that the computer cant locate games or installation programs. and i know there is a option to change in the settings....
  9. C:\Users account name question after clean install

C:\Users account name question after clean install: Due to problems, I just did a clean install of Win 10. Got a surprise in that under C:\Users it created three defaultuser folders and a main named one in the style of "robertj" (not the real one). So I changed the latter under user profile to what I expected, i.e., just my...
  10. Changed user folder name on clean install

Changed user folder name on clean install: Hi Has anyone else had the clean option, drop the last character of their user folder during the install? Example, my user folder was called Julian on 8.1 Therefore c:\Users\Julian\Desktop blah blah blah.... Well now its c:\users\julia\xxxxxxx Somewhat annoying......

Users found this page by searching for:

1. problems after windows 10 change in computer name