Windows 10: Computer Name is confusing

Discus and support Computer Name is confusing in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 64bit ProfessionalTwo days ago, a chat rep from Microsoft accessed my computer, Quick Assist, to help me out with a problem. He... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Robert H Snow, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Computer Name is confusing

I'm using Windows 10 64bit ProfessionalTwo days ago, a chat rep from Microsoft accessed my computer, Quick Assist, to help me out with a problem. He was helping me with the "Remote Desktop connection. Not only did the fix not work, but I ended up with some peculiar results regarding my login screen.My login screen displays the computer name as ram02 it should be RAMN3When I enter Start-Settings, the name is also displayed as ram02.When I type in the search box, View your PC Name RAM3 is displayed. I'm including two images that might help to determine why I have two different names. It

:)

Robert H Snow, Jan 24, 2023

2. Computer Name is confusing

I'm using Windows 10 64bit Professional

Two days ago, a chat rep from Microsoft accessed my computer, Quick Assist, to help me out with a problem. He was helping me with the "Remote Desktop connection. Not only did the fix not work, but I ended up with some peculiar results regarding my login screen.

1. My login screen displays the computer name as ram02 ( it should be RAMN3)
    2. When I enter Start-Settings, the name is also displayed as ram02.
    3. When I type in the search box, View your PC Name RAM3 is displayed.

I'm including two images that might help to determine why I have two different names. It should only be RAM3

Bob

Computer Name is confusing 8cbdb9fd-0b0a-4b4f-8e1f-1aa253ad5b48?upload=true.png

Computer Name is confusing 421b0e01-9401-4e55-80f1-63b36d0bc178?upload=true.png

Robert H Snow, Jan 25, 2023
  3. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Jan 25, 2023
  4. Computer Name is confusing

Computer Name is confusing

Hello, how are you?

The two fields are not the same information.

The Device Name shown in the computer's specifications is actually the computer's name.

However, the name displayed in the Windows settings is the name of your local user in Windows.

Paloma Bianchini, Jan 25, 2023
Thema:

Computer Name is confusing

1. Computer Name is confusing - Similar Threads - Computer Name confusing

2. Computer Name is confusing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Name is confusing: I'm using Windows 10 64bit ProfessionalTwo days ago, a chat rep from Microsoft accessed my computer, Quick Assist, to help me out with a problem. He was helping me with the "Remote Desktop connection. Not only did the fix not work, but I ended up with some peculiar results...
  3. Computer Name is confusing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Name is confusing: I'm using Windows 10 64bit ProfessionalTwo days ago, a chat rep from Microsoft accessed my computer, Quick Assist, to help me out with a problem. He was helping me with the "Remote Desktop connection. Not only did the fix not work, but I ended up with some peculiar results...
  4. used computer, confused permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    used computer, confused permissions: To much of my dismay, I have found that the windows.old file was from the last person who had this computer. After having this problem and following these instructions...
  5. used computer, confused permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    used computer, confused permissions: To much of my dismay, I have found that the windows.old file was from the last person who had this computer. After having this problem and following these instructions...
  6. used computer, confused permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows and Microsoft Account name confusion

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows and Microsoft Account name confusion: My computer has an account name that sometimes shows up as a way to log in to my computer. But I also have a Microsoft Account Name that I actually use to log in to my computer. I don't understand why. I can't delete the first one because it doesn't show up in my account...
  8. I'm so confused with the names of Microsoft Office

in Microsoft Office and 365
    I'm so confused with the names of Microsoft Office: Here are some names I've encountered when I am looking for deals on the internet Office Professional 2019 Office 2019 Professional Plus Office Home and Student 2019 Office Home and Business 2019 Looks like there are more names... What are their differences? In fact all...
  9. Confused computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confused computer: Make a file ending in .pub open in Microsoft PUBLISHER, not to Adobe Acrobat that ends in .pdf. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/confused-computer/9358268e-f4b2-4f21-82bf-74435375823a
  10. Robocopy Destination Naming Confusion

in Windows 10 Support
    Robocopy Destination Naming Confusion: My command is: Code: ROBOCOPY C:\Users\mikei\Documents J:\HP.Files /MIR /XD "C:\Users\mikei\Documents\FeedbackHub" "C:\Users\mikei\Documents\Cyberlink" /v /tee /ts /log:"I:\log.HP.temp.txt" [/quote] Have I made an error again? Earlier I tried to run a similar command as...