Windows 10: Computer name

Discus and support Computer name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I changed the computer name on my new Dell XPS and the computer now shows that as its name, however, the old name is still showing up as a network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StevenKosek, May 18, 2021.

1. Computer name

I changed the computer name on my new Dell XPS and the computer now shows that as its name, however, the old name is still showing up as a network device. Of course when you click on it, you get a not found message. How do I get rid of this?

:)

StevenKosek, May 18, 2021

2. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, May 18, 2021
  3. taward Win User
    One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, May 18, 2021
  4. Computer name

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, May 18, 2021
Thema:

Computer name

1. Computer name - Similar Threads - Computer name

2. Computer set up with a Microsoft account name that doesn't exist

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer set up with a Microsoft account name that doesn't exist: I'm setting up a new computer for the first time it has Windows 11. I was asked to enter my Microsoft account name - I entered my Google email by mistake. The system is asking me give my password for this and I can't because it doesn't exist as a microsoft account. It can't...
  3. Computer set up with a Microsoft account name that doesn't exist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer set up with a Microsoft account name that doesn't exist: I'm setting up a new computer for the first time it has Windows 11. I was asked to enter my Microsoft account name - I entered my Google email by mistake. The system is asking me give my password for this and I can't because it doesn't exist as a microsoft account. It can't...
  4. Computer name not showing, reverts to "This PC"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer name not showing, reverts to "This PC": I'm using Window 11 Pro Version 23H2 Build 22631.3007, and I customized the computer name. When I check the Properties, under System >About, the custom computer name shows correctly, but the desktop icon says "This PC". Anyone know why it's doing that? How can I get it to...
  5. Computer name not showing, reverts to "This PC"

Computer name not showing, reverts to "This PC": I'm using Window 11 Pro Version 23H2 Build 22631.3007, and I customized the computer name. When I check the Properties, under System >About, the custom computer name shows correctly, but the desktop icon says "This PC". Anyone know why it's doing that? How can I get it to...
  6. Can somebody tell me why I cannot name my own computer taker of souls

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can somebody tell me why I cannot name my own computer taker of souls: Don't need 6,000 characters but just wondering why an entity would assume that they had the right to tell me what I can name my computer I can't name my computer taker of souls and I don't care if it's dumb or not it's what I want to do just curious if anybody knows why I...
  7. Can somebody tell me why I cannot name my own computer taker of souls

Can somebody tell me why I cannot name my own computer taker of souls: Don't need 6,000 characters but just wondering why an entity would assume that they had the right to tell me what I can name my computer I can't name my computer taker of souls and I don't care if it's dumb or not it's what I want to do just curious if anybody knows why I...
  8. Changing the primary user on Windows 10 computer - I'm still left with my old user name at...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing the primary user on Windows 10 computer - I'm still left with my old user name at...: I have a PC running Windows 10, I wanted to pass the computer to another family member and wanted to remove myself from the machine. I set the other person up as an administrator, changed my user status to a non-admin member, restarted the machine, logged into the new user...
  9. Changing the primary user on Windows 10 computer - I'm still left with my old user name at...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the primary user on Windows 10 computer - I'm still left with my old user name at...: I have a PC running Windows 10, I wanted to pass the computer to another family member and wanted to remove myself from the machine. I set the other person up as an administrator, changed my user status to a non-admin member, restarted the machine, logged into the new user...
  10. Changing the primary user on Windows 10 computer - I'm still left with my old user name at...