Windows 10: Computer naming restrictions in a Windows domain

Discus and support Computer naming restrictions in a Windows domain in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is a computer name in a Windows server 2012 domain allowed to consist of only numerics i.e. "1234567". It seems to work OK, as my machine got a name... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Uno Junghans, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Computer naming restrictions in a Windows domain

Is a computer name in a Windows server 2012 domain allowed to consist of only numerics i.e. "1234567".

It seems to work OK, as my machine got a name based on its internal service tag, which is normally a mixture of letters and numbers, however this particular machine only had numerics. In the RFC-1123 an earlier limitation on DNS naming of having to start with an alfa character seems to have been lifted.
    We have an internal product, who's installer is complaining about the machine / host name is only consisting of numbers.

:)

Uno Junghans, Mar 11, 2019

2. Windows 'domain'?

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your concern in the Microsoft Community. Follow these steps to find the domain name:

• Press the Windows key + R then choose System.
    • The name of your computer will be listed as the Full computer name.
    • The domain your computer belongs to will be listed as the Domain. If, instead of Domain, you see Workgroup, your computer
      is not a member of any domain.

If you have any questions or things you'd like to clarify, feel free to ask.

Marvin Barc, Mar 11, 2019
  3. robos Win User
    Getting a domain name...

Just simple 3 steps to make your website glow to millions…
    Step 1: Sign up now and get a FREE domain!
    Step 2: Design your new website in minutes!
    Step 3: You are live! Share your life online!

Click here…

robos, Mar 11, 2019
  4. Computer naming restrictions in a Windows domain

I can't log in and domain problems

Hi Tucker,

There are several factors which might have affected the log in issue, namely: a restriction set by the network domain administrator, if your computer is connected to a network domain; or a recent update or program installed prior to the issue. To help you
    resolve the log-in issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Were there any changes made prior to the issue, or before the PC was reset?
    • Are you using a PC connected to a network domain?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you have done in an attempt to resolve the issue?

We look forward to your prompt response.

Vanessa Oca, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

Computer naming restrictions in a Windows domain

1. Computer naming restrictions in a Windows domain - Similar Threads - Computer naming restrictions

2. Restrict Laptop to Domain Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restrict Laptop to Domain Login: Hi all, I wish to link an account to only allow domain login for a laptop for my workplace, ie prevent them from logging in with any Microsoft account and force them to use their domain account. I have tried following the instructions here, Join a Computer to a Domain, but I...
  3. Restrict Laptop to Domain Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restrict Laptop to Domain Login: Hi all, I wish to link an account to only allow domain login for a laptop for my workplace, ie prevent them from logging in with any Microsoft account and force them to use their domain account. I have tried following the instructions here, Join a Computer to a Domain, but I...
  4. Restrict Laptop to Domain Login

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Domain Computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Domain Computers: I need to get an alert if i join or disjoin a computer from my domain. any body who has an idea is welcome to share. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/domain-computers/107527a3-8f6a-47db-bcb0-e67d63f9f73d
  6. Domain Computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Domain Computers: I need to get an alert if i join or disjoin a computer from my domain. any body who has an idea is welcome to share. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/domain-computers/107527a3-8f6a-47db-bcb0-e67d63f9f73d
  7. Computer name and domain change.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer name and domain change.: Hello, I am using a brother printer dcp l-5500 dn after changing my pc name in the domain and pc options from admin to ws-kris, the printer still sees after reboot the same old admin name for my pc. Has anyone before encountered a similar problem before and if yes do you...
  8. Computer Domain

Computer Domain: I work IT for a company. A user had their old Laptop start to kick the bucket. I replaced said laptop with a different laptop that had been in use by another individual in the past. The laptop works great, though there is one issue, when using admin credentials or ".\user" on...
  9. Domain Name

Domain Name: Hi I am running Windows 10, on both my PC and LAPTOP, and want to connect them as home or work group. How do I do this and how do I find my domain name please. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/domain-name/bc451822-c98e-4ed5-bd33-86bd29d176fb
  10. Join a machine to domain with an existing computer name without notification?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Join a machine to domain with an existing computer name without notification?: As far as i remember from my last job, when you are trying to join a machine to a domain with an existing computer name, you should receive a notification and are not allowed to do that. In this new company, it seems, when you join a machine to a domain with an existing...