Windows 10: Computer needs to be restarted after long periods of idle

Discus and support Computer needs to be restarted after long periods of idle in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Every morning when my computer has been idle overnight my computer has black screen with the applications still open, but its 'glitched out' in terms... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Alex_C1, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Computer needs to be restarted after long periods of idle

Every morning when my computer has been idle overnight my computer has black screen with the applications still open, but its 'glitched out' in terms of when i grab a window and drag this leaves a trail of windows all over the screen. The task bar is gone, and the only thing I can do is alt delete and restart my computer. I'm not sure what aspect of my computer this could be from? I have the latest windows update, Ryzen 2600 cpu.

Anyone have any fix ideas? Should i just shut my computer off during long periods of idle?

submitted by /u/Alex_C1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Alex_C1, Jun 16, 2020

2. Computer crashes and restarts periodically

Hello Kurt,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

What is the make and model of your computer?

What is the anti-virus program on the computer?

I suggest you to try the following steps:

Uninstall and Reinstall the Graphics Card Drivers.

Step 1: Uninstall the Graphics Card
    Drivers

• Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

• Click on “Device Manager” from that list.

• Search for the Graphics Card
      from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers
      from the computer.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and then restart the computer if prompted.
    After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Step 2: Go to the Computer or Graphics Card
    manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the
    Graphics Card model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you

Ruth Buruga, Jun 16, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - I have to reboot if computer sits idle for a short period

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things:

• How long the computer is in idle state?
    • Does the computer hangs when it is in idle state?
    • Are you getting any error message?
    • Are you getting any prompt to restart the computer?

Please do let us know with more information regarding this issue, so that we can assist further on this.

Karthicka_R, Jun 16, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Computer needs to be restarted after long periods of idle

PC restarted by itself when it was idle how can i check why in

Hi, as I said, predicting the relevant event id's for a restart that occurred for unknown reasons is not straightforward. Try searching for 'What is the event id for a restart' for example, and you'll see what I mean.

I can only suggest you inspect the events around the period of interest , looking for a log off, shut down, restart... and if necessary using the link I posted to identify them. Trying to work out why a PC restarted just from the event viewer could be extremely time consuming, depending on the number of events.

If you're lucky and there are few, then it may be feasible to discover something.

First you'd need a list in time order - note that if you simply open the Event Viewer, the reports are categorised,which make tracking something through time impossible. as you know the time period, you could try this:

Computer needs to be restarted after long periods of idle [​IMG]

But easier is to get this free program (title top left) which lists events in order:

Computer needs to be restarted after long periods of idle [​IMG]

Much easier: look at your update history for that day: does it show an update being applied? If so, what is it? Does that update require a restart?

dalchina, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Computer needs to be restarted after long periods of idle

1. Computer needs to be restarted after long periods of idle - Similar Threads - Computer needs restarted

2. Computer lagging for a period of time after every boot / restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer lagging for a period of time after every boot / restart: I have noticed that my computer will lag for a period of about 30 minutes each time I power it up or restart it. The lag is evident in characters appearing slower than normal when typing, as well as glitchy mouse cursor movements. When audio is played, the audio is also...
  3. Computer lagging for a period of time after every boot / restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer lagging for a period of time after every boot / restart: I have noticed that my computer will lag for a period of about 30 minutes each time I power it up or restart it. The lag is evident in characters appearing slower than normal when typing, as well as glitchy mouse cursor movements. When audio is played, the audio is also...
  4. Computer lagging for a period of time after every boot / restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Wifi stops working after sleep and long idle periods.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi stops working after sleep and long idle periods.: I have and Asus ROG Strix Laptop specifics are below, the wifi adapter goes dead after sleep or long periods of 'idle'. Idle as in, doing a backup using file history but not actually using to laptop. I have done a clean reinstall of the factory windows and allowed windows to...
  6. Wifi stops working after sleep and long idle periods.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi stops working after sleep and long idle periods.: I have and Asus ROG Strix Laptop specifics are below, the wifi adapter goes dead after sleep or long periods of 'idle'. Idle as in, doing a backup using file history but not actually using to laptop. I have done a clean reinstall of the factory windows and allowed windows to...
  7. Windows 10 BSOD when computer idle for long periods of time. Minidump files included

Windows 10 BSOD when computer idle for long periods of time. Minidump files included: My computer has recently been getting a Blue screen crash. However, I almost can not remember a time when it has crashed on me while in use. Instead, it consistently happens when the computer is idle for long periods, which, I often need as I remote desktop to this PC from my...
  8. Computer restarting when idling

Computer restarting when idling: I have had a series of problems following recent Windows 10 Updates. Everything seems to have slowed down. The most recent issue is that my PC is restarting whenever I leave it idling for any length of time. Can anyone help?...
  9. BSOD after 5 minutes of idle period

BSOD after 5 minutes of idle period: I run it with Driver verifier... Here is the minidump file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsmlV167rgkYgpx4LdY0oEBs0DGQ9Q NFO file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsmlV167rgkYgpxxbT_NgPU-ISncKg And some previous dumps. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsmlV167rgkYgpx5OAww_hlaaw2G7A It is a brand...
  10. Auto Shutdown Computer after idle period

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto Shutdown Computer after idle period: I need some help in creating a task in Task Manager that will automatically force stop programs and shut down the computer after it has been idle for one hour. I have created a task that will shut down at a specific time, but I need something that can run multiple times...