Windows 10: Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.

Discus and support Computer no longer recognizes hard drives. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Computer froze and i had to do a "hard reboot" and now won't load. Can get to DOS prompt when couldn't do system repair or restore and now system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by drmitchellkahn, May 17, 2020.

1. Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.

Computer froze and i had to do a "hard reboot" and now won't load. Can get to DOS prompt when couldn't do system repair or restore and now system cannot find either hard drive.

:)

drmitchellkahn, May 17, 2020
  2. BookValue Win User

Hard drives no longer recognized

After upgrading to Windows 10, I connected a secondary hard drive to try and access some older files. The machine booted up but didn't recognize the drive. I turned it off, disconnected the secondary drive, but the machine no longer recognizes any hard drive
    when I try to boot it. The primary drive is not shown in the BIOS. I tried connecting a different drive but that was also not detected. I tried using a Windows 10 iso file on a flash drive to do a repair, but it failed saying there was no viable drive.

I connected another blank drive to the computer and attempted to do a fresh Windows install but the drive was also not recognized.

Any ideas on what to try next?

BookValue, May 17, 2020
  3. Nofsdad Win User
    No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive

Since receiving the Win 10 Home upgrade my computer no longer recognizes the DVD drive. It doesn't show in Device Manger or in the device list in This PC although it does spin up if you insert media into it. I've tried all the suggested remedies except messing with the registry and nothing works. This is one of several problems I've had with device drivers since the upgrade.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    AMD FX-4130 3.80Ghz
    8Gb Installed memory

Nofsdad, May 17, 2020
  4. Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.

Hard Drive no longer recognized

Enter BIOS setup via Dell F2 key to see if hard drive is detected anywhere. Normally it would be listed by its Serial which you can google to get the make/model. If it's not listed then the next step is indeed to reseat it to see if you can get it to
    register.

I found this video which will show you how to carefully remove the hard drive and then reseat it as tightly as possible:

If you can get the hard drive recognized again and it won't start you can run the built-in Dell drive diagnostics or the HD maker's
    HD Diagnostic extended CD scan followed by a full

Disk Check
    from the booted Windows 10 Installation Media or Recovery Drive Command Line. This will
    confirm the condition of the drive with certainty.

If this fails then I would replace the hard drive with an SSD which is the best upgrade you can give the PC or Windows, then do a

Clean Install Windows 10
    and have a PC that's lightning fast as long as you stick with the steps given.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, May 17, 2020
Thema:

Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.

1. Computer no longer recognizes hard drives. - Similar Threads - Computer longer recognizes

2. Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive: Earlier today my pc crashed, upon restarting my computer booted from my hard drive rather than my ssd, showing old files, wallpapers etc. When looking on device manager, my ssd can be seen by my pc, however when looking in file explorer there is nothing to be seen. Is there...
  3. Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive: Earlier today my pc crashed, upon restarting my computer booted from my hard drive rather than my ssd, showing old files, wallpapers etc. When looking on device manager, my ssd can be seen by my pc, however when looking in file explorer there is nothing to be seen. Is there...
  4. Hard drives are no longer recognized after SSD exchange?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drives are no longer recognized after SSD exchange?: Hello everybody! I have exchanged my SATA SSD for a NVMe SSD, I also have 2TB HDDs. With the SATA SSD everything worked fine, when I switched to the NVME, the HDD harddisks were not recognized anymore, I will find them in the Bios in the Disk Manager. Even when I didn't...
  5. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: My second Hard Drive is not recognized. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-recognized/e93a541f-2e22-4896-88ab-3c2042aec8a6
  6. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: Hey, I got a new hard drive today and for some reason I am unable to add it to my already existing ssd drive that my pc desktop currently runs on. I have tried going into create and format hard disk partitions and allocating the “unallocated disk” but there isn’t any drive...
  7. External hard drive not recognized in My Computer

External hard drive not recognized in My Computer: I have a USB External hard drive which is not showing up in My Computer although it was formerly. What can I do to correct this or access my data on it. I'm using Win10 with the latest updates. Thanks....
  8. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: suddenly my external hard drive is not showing up in my pc however i can see it in devices and printers how can i fix this problem without losing all the information on my hard drive?...
  9. Computer Doesn't Recognize Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer Doesn't Recognize Hard Drive: So, I know that this isn't a specific Windows error, but I'm really troubled right now. Basically, my baby brother hit my computer really hard, and everytime I turned it on, it went in a loop. I tried reinstalling Win 10 via USB Stick, but when I got to the Disk partition...
  10. Computer does not recognize external hard drive

Computer does not recognize external hard drive: Hi all,I googled this but I really can't find an answer,hear goes.I have 2 seagate external hard drives with all my movies and tv shows.I plug it into my dvd player and watch them on my smart tv.I bought a new one which says seagate external expansion drive.It is not...