Windows 10: Computer non-responsive. No BSOD or visible error. Mouse still moves

Discus and support Computer non-responsive. No BSOD or visible error. Mouse still moves in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Folks, I've had Windows 10 for a while now, and i've had this problem the entire time. I am having trouble finding a trigger, so this may be a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DarethMortuus, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Computer non-responsive. No BSOD or visible error. Mouse still moves

Hi Folks,

I've had Windows 10 for a while now, and i've had this problem the entire time. I am having trouble finding a trigger, so this may be a little vague and I apologise for that in advance.

My main purpose for my machine is Photoshop and Lightroom, as I am a photographer. Parts are as follows;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte (Will come back with model number)
    CPU: i7 4790k (Not overclocked)
    RAM: 32gb of 1600Mhz (will come back with brand)
    Video Card: Asus GTX960 Turbo 2gb
    HDD: 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD , Seagate Barracuda 2tb, 120gb SSD (will come back with brand) note: issues were apparent before 120gb HDD was installed.

Essentially, the issue is described as in the title. At seemingly random intervals, my computer will not respond to any inputs. The mouse still moves freely across the screen, however there is no reaction to anything else. Additionally, Photoshop will, seemingly at random, slow down to an absolute crawl (this is usually followed by the non-responsive state).

In checking, my drivers are all up to date and after other checks with programs like CCleaner, CHKDSK, Ram Check, and even Kaspersky, there are no issue with my machine.

To my great frustration, I don't know enough to know if there is anywhere that will give me a report on what the issue(s) may be, except to say that I had this set up (ex the 120gb SSD) running on Windows 7, and it was immaculate.

:)

DarethMortuus, Jan 9, 2017

2. Computer is frozen But mouse still moves

Thank you for your help but, I can't click or type anything.

ElizabethHendricks, Jan 9, 2017
  3. Computer is frozen But mouse still moves

My computer is frozen on the home screen. I can move the mouse around but I can't click anything. The loading sign will sometimes pop up but it doesn't do anything. The keyboard is unresponsive. Nothing will open.

Does this problem seem familiar to anyone? If so, how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

ElizabethHendricks, Jan 9, 2017
  4. Win10Pro Win User

Computer non-responsive. No BSOD or visible error. Mouse still moves

Hi,
    I could be absolutely wrong but to me it looks like a hardware or RAM-related prolbem, rather than a Windows issue. It could also (highly improbable, but who knows) be the incompatibility of your PS version with Win 10.
    Finally I would use Kaspersky Rescue Disk to check if a malware ddn't do any harm to your OS.

Do you use any USB hubs?

Win10Pro, Jan 9, 2017
  5. EdTittel Win User
    If you have access to another PC on your local area network, you might try using Remote Desktop Connection to access that machine when the screen goes black. If it lets you in and behaves itself, that's a profound clue that there's an issue with your graphics driver. If it doesn't let you in, or doesn't behave well, you can use tools like Task Manager to see what's bogging down the CPU, or Reliability Monitor to see if errors are impeding system performance.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 9, 2017
  6. Unfortunately, I only have access to a Macbook Pro on the network.
    I've done the built in windows RAM check, there are no issues with the RAM. Two separate hard drives are also showing the same issue.
    I had the issue last night and I was clever enough to have task manager up and waiting when it happened. There was movement of processes up and down for memory usage (my selected sort field), nothing was using more than 10% CPU time at worst and total RAM usage was at around 20%, which makes sense as I had Lightroom open, culling down photos.

DarethMortuus, Jan 10, 2017
  7. Probably just coincidence, but it sounds exactly like an intermittent problem I've had since installing Win10 (followed by a couple clean installs). An already running application (like a browser or email client) will usually continue running, but will once in a while get sluggish and eventually freeze. No new applications will start. Ctrl-Alt-Del is ignored, but if the I was smart enough to have started Task Manager prior to the hang-up it continues working and shows nothing unusual.

If I have enough patience to wait, eventually everything goes back to normal - sometimes in less that 5 minutes; sometimes more than 30 minutes. At that time all the applications that I tried starting (by clicking desktop icons, for instance) start up.

So just out of curiosity, have you waited to see if it would free up?

pokeefe0001, Jan 10, 2017
  8. Computer non-responsive. No BSOD or visible error. Mouse still moves

No, that is a good idea. Though, usually when it happens, I am in the middle of editing photos or the like for a client, which cannot wait.

DarethMortuus, Jan 10, 2017
  9. I just recently found a tool that might help shine light on out problems (even if they are totally unrelated).
    Process Monitor

It monitors and logs all I/O and registry activity. Unless you are really up on Windows internals (which I am NOT), the data collected may not be at all meaningful, but it will show what activity is going on while you are locked out. (Unless, of course, it is also locked out and won't let you view and save the log.) It maintains an in-memory log - minimum 1 million records, default 199 million records. The amount of time that represents varies widely depending on the activity, but I'm seeing from 5 to 20 minutes of activity with the "History Depth" set to 1,000,000.

I have no idea if this can be set to run automatically at startup (I don't see why not.), but I have confirmed that the history depth setting is saved so you don't have to remember to set it each time you reboot.

The obvious downside is that this utility must have a significant impact on performance.

pokeefe0001, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Computer non-responsive. No BSOD or visible error. Mouse still moves

1. Computer non-responsive. No BSOD or visible error. Mouse still moves - Similar Threads - Computer non responsive

2. Mouse cursor not visible, not moving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse cursor not visible, not moving: Hello, Since I turned on my pc this morning my mouse cursor has pretty much disappeared. Moving my mouse around, right and left clicking doesnt work. Reconnecting my mouse makes the disconnect and connect sounds play, trying different usb ports did not help.However, if I...
  3. Mouse cursor not visible, not moving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse cursor not visible, not moving: Hello, Since I turned on my pc this morning my mouse cursor has pretty much disappeared. Moving my mouse around, right and left clicking doesnt work. Reconnecting my mouse makes the disconnect and connect sounds play, trying different usb ports did not help.However, if I...
  4. Mouse cursor not visible, not moving

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. The mouse cursor is not visible and i have to move the mouse to make it visible

The mouse cursor is not visible and i have to move the mouse to make it visible: When i turn on my Windows 10 laptop, and the desktop is fully loaded, the mouse cursor isn't showing. If I want to make the mouse cursor visible, I have to move the mouse. The cursor won't become visible before I move the mouse. Why is that? How can I make the cursor visible...
  6. The mouse cursor is not visible and i have to move the mouse to make it visible

in Windows 10 Customization
    The mouse cursor is not visible and i have to move the mouse to make it visible: When i turn on my Windows 10 laptop, and the desktop is fully loaded, the mouse cursor isn't showing. If I want to make the mouse cursor visible, I have to move the mouse. The cursor won't become visible before I move the mouse. Why is that? How can I make the cursor visible...
  7. Computer freezes but mouse still moves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes but mouse still moves: My computer has been freezing to where all my apps don't respond if I open any game BUT destiny 2 on the lowest settings. By freezing I mean I'm able to move my apps and minimize but can't close them. Also in discord my voice calls all stop taking audio and nothing with in...
  8. Computer is frozen But mouse still moves

Computer is frozen But mouse still moves: My computer is frozen on the whole screen. I can move the mouse around but I can't click anything. This happened a few times now. In the past, I pressed the reboot button of the computer then everything was back. But I had a bad result after restarted the computer. The Word...
  9. Computer freezes but mouse still moves and computer is still on

Computer freezes but mouse still moves and computer is still on: Hello, My PC keeps freezing up where nothing will work -- Office apps might open but not close, other files/folders won't open if clicked on. Yet my mouse will still move and my PC is still "on". I have brand new parts in my PC -- new RAM, new graphics card, new...
  10. Slow or non responsive computer

Slow or non responsive computer: Click on a link and nothing happens. App like Scatter hold up poker doesn't boot, or very slowly boots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-or-non-responsive-computer/a61738d5-2bac-4f66-b097-8a079a42e49d