Windows 10: computer not completely shutting down

Discus and support computer not completely shutting down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I recent got a new Dell Inspiron 3670 Desktop with windows 10 Aug 30th and I have had five crashes involving hours on the phone with Dell Tech... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by treborpowers, Nov 30, 2018.

1. computer not completely shutting down

Hi, I recent got a new Dell Inspiron 3670 Desktop with windows 10 Aug 30th and I have had five crashes involving hours on the phone with Dell Tech support and hours reinstalling my programs. I think I know what the problems is. When I turn off the computer the power light stays on and the disk drive runs for from 10 to 30 seconds. I am in the habit of turning off the power strip (surge protector). Occasionally I have turned off the power strip while the power light and internal hard drive light is on or flashing. I think this is what fried my computer. I understand this is because of the "fast startup" option. I have tried not using this option and it takes much longer to shut down and much longer to start up. What I have settled on is the following. I have made a sign and put it on my serge protector that says, "Wait!!" and I do as it says, namely I wait until the computer power light is off and if I am in a hurry I simply walk away and come back later and turn it off. Recently I lost a fairly new dishwasher to a power serge so not turning off the power strip in not an option. It is possible my computer crashes were caused by something else but this is my best guess. If someone else had had a similar experience I would love to hear about it. Thanks, for listening.

:)

treborpowers, Nov 30, 2018
  2. Ernie San Win User

Windows 10 is unable to complete shut down

We suggest doing these troubleshooting steps below:

Method 1. Hard Reset

• Shut down your computer.
    • Remove the cable and wires connected to your computer.
    • Press the Power button for 10 seconds to completely drain your device.
    • Check if there's any changes.
    Method 2. Shutdown trick.

• Press Windows key.
    • Press and hold Shift.
    • Click the Power icon.
    • Select and click Shutdown.
    Let us know the outcome.

Ernie San, Nov 30, 2018
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond computer not completely shutting down :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Nov 30, 2018
  4. Paulieg Win User

computer not completely shutting down

My new Vista computer sometimes unexpectedly shuts off. Any suggestions?

OK, first complete your system specs, as it will help us diagnose your problem. Second, can you be a bit more descriptive about the "shut off"? Does it go through the windows shut down procedure, or does the power just shut off completely?

Paulieg, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

computer not completely shutting down

1. computer not completely shutting down - Similar Threads - computer completely shutting

2. Computer shut down

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer shut down: HelloI had downloaded AMD graphic and my computer started acting up. It would shutdown within 5 min.I managed to uninstall amd graphics.Then I was doing an reset of the computer. But at 36% it automatically shut down .Please help me what should I do?...
  3. Computer Shut Down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Shut Down: What is the advantage of using the sleep option as opposed to the shut down option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shut-down/041f86fc-afa8-4c66-aa1c-c9aa74bb13e2
  4. Computer Shut Down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Shut Down: What is the advantage of using the sleep option as opposed to the shut down option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shut-down/041f86fc-afa8-4c66-aa1c-c9aa74bb13e2
  5. My computer won't reboot and won't shut down completely

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My computer won't reboot and won't shut down completely: I just receive a HP 14u G6 ZBOOK laptop workstation with Windows 10 Pro 2004 operating system. Everything runs OK, but when Windows downloaded all the updates and download the 202H Windows 10 Pro update, the problems started. 1. Every time that I want to restart the...
  6. Computer keeps completely freezing, requires shut down to use.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer keeps completely freezing, requires shut down to use.: My computer keeps essentially hard crashing out of no where and i need to turn off my power bar to restart it. Any help is appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-keeps-completely-freezing-requires-shut/2e901082-ee6f-41df-bdda-0ff3d031bcd8
  7. Won't shut-down completely ..?

in Windows 10 Support
    Won't shut-down completely ..?: Hi All My HP laptop certainly won't shut-down . I have to hold the power button to do it .. ? So far I did reset the window .. but still messes up Please help .. Thanks 164789
  8. Computer shutting down before an update is complete

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer shutting down before an update is complete: Whenever I select the option to "Update and Shut Down" my computer shuts down before the update begins or can complete. It shuts down within 1 or 2 minutes. I am unsure of how to fix this problem. Please let me know, thanks!...
  9. Computer Shutting Down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer Shutting Down: Hello - can anyone help with this problem please? My computer is shutting down periodically, but its getting more regular. On some days it can shut down several times in the day, and then go for several days without shutting down. Things I've checked; The load is usually...
  10. Automatically shut down computer after backup completes

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Automatically shut down computer after backup completes: Hello, Is there a way I can have Windows automatically shut down the computer when the backup finishes? 88306