Windows 10: Computer not going into sleep mode when idle, even after checking power management settings

Discus and support Computer not going into sleep mode when idle, even after checking power management settings in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi! Our family laptop is not going into sleep mode when idle. It also sounds like it is processing something all the time even when not used. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DannyDanny3, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Computer not going into sleep mode when idle, even after checking power management settings

Hi!

Our family laptop is not going into sleep mode when idle. It also sounds like it is processing something all the time even when not used.

I already checked the power management options see attachment 1.

Next, I used a diagnostics tool to pinpoint what it is that prevents the computer from going into sleep mode see attachment 2.

Unfortunately, I am not getting any wiser from those results, so wouldn't know what the next steps could be.

I'm at a loss. Anyone who knows how to solve this problem?

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards.

PS: The attachments are in Dutch. Sorry about that! I can translate it if needed.

Computer not going into sleep mode when idle, even after checking power management settings [​IMG]

Computer not going into sleep mode when idle, even after checking power management settings [​IMG]

:)

DannyDanny3, Apr 5, 2021

2. Computer stopped going into sleep mode

Hello, Kiran.

My computer is up to date and I didn't change any settings prior or after the update

I tried step one, but I haven't wait the time required for the computer to go into sleep mode. I did change the 30 minute wait to 10 minutes. So, I'll wait and see what happens

Yan Carlos Cruz, Apr 5, 2021
  3. Jonas Flo Win User
    Bluetooth still on while idle

Thanks for following the steps. Now, the settings won't take effect if you are only using normal PC idle mode. Normal functionality of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi settings are to stay connected even if PC is idle. With the settings that you have created, we would
    suggest that you set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or
    Hibernate
    once idle. In this way, the settings "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" should take effect.

To set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or Hibernate when idle, please follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel, set view by: Small
      icons.
    • Look for Power Options.
    • Click on Change when the computer sleeps on the left pane.
    • Set a timer.

Please try it out. Hope it helps. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Apr 5, 2021
  4. Erika Aro Win User

Computer not going into sleep mode when idle, even after checking power management settings

High Idle power consumption

Hi,

A laptop in idle still drains the battery. It can be one of the lists below are the reasons why your discharging faster.

• The power plan is on High-Performance. It consumes more energy because it maximizes the computer's usage. Toggle it as Balanced by going to Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options.
    • Too many background applications running. We can check this by going to Windows Settings > System > Battery saver > Battery usage by app. You can set adjust the settings of your battery there as well. Also, please follow the tips on the window on how you
      can manage your battery.
    • You use the second graphics card as your display to an external monitor.
    • Using sleep mode instead of hibernate mode. Hibernate mode is advisable to use when stepping away from the device for very long.

In addition to this, you can run the automatic troubleshooter to
    find and fix problems with your computer's power settings to conserve power and extend battery life

Feel free to post back if you need further help.

Erika Aro, Apr 5, 2021
Thema:

Computer not going into sleep mode when idle, even after checking power management settings

1. Computer not going into sleep mode when idle, even after checking power management settings - Similar Threads - Computer going sleep

2. computer randomly going into sleep mode while in use, power settings are fine

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    computer randomly going into sleep mode while in use, power settings are fine: This started recently, my computer started randomly going into sleep mode while i am using it. I checked my power settings and the turn off display and go into sleep mode are all set to never, i also ran a virus scan and there was nothing. How do I fix this?...
  3. computer randomly going into sleep mode while in use, power settings are fine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer randomly going into sleep mode while in use, power settings are fine: This started recently, my computer started randomly going into sleep mode while i am using it. I checked my power settings and the turn off display and go into sleep mode are all set to never, i also ran a virus scan and there was nothing. How do I fix this?...
  4. computer randomly going into sleep mode while in use, power settings are fine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 Power > Sleep settings not working - PC will not go into sleep mode after set times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Power > Sleep settings not working - PC will not go into sleep mode after set times: Hi, Just got a brand new PC and upgraded to Windows 11 as part of the setup. On Windows 11 the PC will not go into sleep mode. I have tried several suggestions but don't want to change much since a brand new PC with little change or installs. Is this a know bug and will MS...
  6. Windows 11 Power > Sleep settings not working - PC will not go into sleep mode after set times

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Power > Sleep settings not working - PC will not go into sleep mode after set times: Hi, Just got a brand new PC and upgraded to Windows 11 as part of the setup. On Windows 11 the PC will not go into sleep mode. I have tried several suggestions but don't want to change much since a brand new PC with little change or installs. Is this a know bug and will MS...
  7. Computer not going into sleep mode when idle.I have tried from power management

Computer not going into sleep mode when idle.I have tried from power management: I want to the PC to sleep I have changed the timing from 10 mins to 1 min but it does not go to sleep.I have updated my PC but still the problem persists.Tried the advance settings also but alas it did not work...
  8. Computer not going into sleep mode when idle, even after checking power management settings

Computer not going into sleep mode when idle, even after checking power management settings: Hi! Our family laptop is not going into sleep mode when idle. It also sounds like it is processing something all the time even when not used. I already checked the power management options. Next, I used a diagnostics tool to pinpoint what it is that prevents the...
  9. Laptop going to sleep when asked not to in Power and Sleep settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Laptop going to sleep when asked not to in Power and Sleep settings: Hi My laptop, which is running windows 10 version 1803 OS build 17134.320, is going to sleep/hibernating, every time when the battery gets to 6% power-or some times less. The power light remains on with the screen turning off and, if I then press the power button ,it wakes...
  10. Laptop going to sleep when idle (power options set to "Never")

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop going to sleep when idle (power options set to "Never"): When plugged in, this Toshiba laptop goes into sleep mode at roughly two minutes of idle time. When plugged in, I have the power options set to "Never". This just recently began occurring. Any ideas? 57465