Windows 10: Computer not recognizing headset and mic input, and mic not working

Discus and support Computer not recognizing headset and mic input, and mic not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My laptop is a Dell Latitude E5540, and my headset is the PDP LVL 40 headset. It has a 3.5mm TRRS jack, so it is supposed to have the input for the mic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kmz_ozo, Mar 10, 2021.

1. kmz_ozo Win User

Computer not recognizing headset and mic input, and mic not working

My laptop is a Dell Latitude E5540, and my headset is the PDP LVL 40 headset. It has a 3.5mm TRRS jack, so it is supposed to have the input for the mic on it. I plug this into my computer, no pop-up dialog shows up. Adding on to that, I checked Settings and found that the only Input and Output listed is "Speakers High Definition Audio Device", which I believe is the default. It doesn't list my headset even when plugged in. While I can hear very well with the headset, it does not recognize the boom mic attached to it. Does anyone know how I can solve this? Both my computer and headset work fine, except for it not being recognized for input and output and not providing a mic.

:)

kmz_ozo, Mar 10, 2021
  2. MattKC Win User

Headset Mic and Realtek drivers

Hey so funny thing, like I said, when i plug in my gaming headset vie splitter (mic, headphone), the mic does not work, it is if it only picks up noise, nothing else, like a little whitenoise generator. So after reading some stuff I tried something funny, I actually unplugged my microphone from my headset and plugged it directly via the mic input on my laptop, while headset was plugged in via headphone jack and what do you know, the mic works, so WTF is happening? lol I read somewhere that the realtek manager app is messing everything up and not recognizing headphones or headsets, not sure if it's true, but was wondering if anyone has some thoughts about it.

MattKC, Mar 10, 2021
  3. fireberd Win User
    Headset mic

PC Specs will help us help you.

What is the brand/model of the headset mic combo?

What front panel audio jack(s) do you have? Some are only mic or only headset, some can be either mic or headset whichever is plugged in and some are combination headset/mic.

fireberd, Mar 10, 2021
  4. Helmut Win User

Headset mic

Depends on the specs of your hardware, you have not given enough detail.

PCs are normally separate Headphone and Mic sockets.
    Laptops a Combo socket (TRRS).

Headsets usually come with adapters to cater for both scenarios.

My headset has a Combo plug (TRRS), and an adapter for separate Headphones and Mic sockets.

You can plug the Headset Combo plug in to a Headphone only socket, but the Mic won't work. there is no second R contact.

Helmut, Mar 10, 2021
Thema:

1. Computer not recognizing headset and mic input, and mic not working - Similar Threads - Computer recognizing headset

2. Bluetooth headset with mic mic not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth headset with mic mic not working: In windows 11 I just purchased a Bluetooth headset with mic. I can see in settings that the headset is pared but not the mic. I can hear but not talk. When searching for the device in the mic section it does not seem to be found? Both computer and headset with mic are new?...
  3. Bluetooth headset with mic mic not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth headset with mic mic not working: In windows 11 I just purchased a Bluetooth headset with mic. I can see in settings that the headset is pared but not the mic. I can hear but not talk. When searching for the device in the mic section it does not seem to be found? Both computer and headset with mic are new?...
  4. Headset recognized as Mic instead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headset recognized as Mic instead: I got a new studio headphone Sennheiser brand with no mic. However, when I plugged it in, it's being recognized as a mic instead of as a headphone.I tried looking up on google but they're all for microphones, not headset which frustrated me greatly. So this is my last resort...
  5. Headset recognized as Mic instead

Headset recognized as Mic instead: I got a new studio headphone Sennheiser brand with no mic. However, when I plugged it in, it's being recognized as a mic instead of as a headphone.I tried looking up on google but they're all for microphones, not headset which frustrated me greatly. So this is my last resort...
  6. Headset recognized as Mic instead

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Headset mic not working

Headset mic not working: Hello everybody!I really hope somebody can help me, as I tried everything :I recently bought a Razer Blackshark V2 X headset with a 3.5mm jack. I have a Acer Nitro 5 laptop.When I plug the headset in, the audio is fine although th quality is not that great, but the mic won't...
  8. Computer not recognizing headset mic

Computer not recognizing headset mic: Computer: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series model 7570 Headset: Steelseries Arctis 1 wired Issue: When the headset is plugged into the computer, audio comes out just fine, but the computer does not recognize the microphone. It has worked before with this computer, and works...
  9. Headset mic not recognized by laptop.

Headset mic not recognized by laptop.: I use an Arctis 3 Bluetooth headset to use the mic I need to use the 3.5mm female to dual 3.5mm male. My laptop only has one 3.5mm jack so I bought a dual 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male. I connected my headset to the 3.5mm female to dual 3.5 mm male then I connected the two male...
  10. Headset Mic Not Working

Headset Mic Not Working: I really need some help. I have a Cloud Stinger HyperX headset. So the Microphone was working fine for many months then a few weeks ago it just stopped. It does not show up on my list of Recording Devices anymore. The only Mic I have is the one built in the computer. I...