Windows 10: Computer not responding to Restart or Shutdown via Start Menu

Discus and support Computer not responding to Restart or Shutdown via Start Menu in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Can someone help me out and can we figure out why Windows would not respond to a shut down or restart? I had toi push the power button. Can someone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Power1aj, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Computer not responding to Restart or Shutdown via Start Menu

/u/Power1aj, Oct 4, 2020
  2. LAPIII Win User

Can I rearrange shutdown options in the Start menu and Login screen

The options via the Start menu and Login screen are (in order):

• Sleep
    • Shutdown
    • Restart

I'd rather Shutdown be at the bottom to make it simpler to choose it.

LAPIII, Oct 4, 2020
  3. NickJP Win User
    Shutdown from start menu now restarting

System is Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1607 build 14393.321. Ever since the latest cumulative update to this build, I find that about half the time that I select Shutdown from the start menu, I actually get a reboot instead. If I use the command line shutdown.exe -s instead, so far that has not had the same problem.

Any suggestions on why the problem with shutdown off the start menu?

NickJP, Oct 4, 2020
  4. Computer not responding to Restart or Shutdown via Start Menu

computer will not shutdown or restart.

Try clearing page file at shutdown:
    CAUTION: This dramatically slows down shutdown times but hopefully it solves your problem.
    ImageShack - Deleted photo

Computer not responding to Restart or Shutdown via Start Menu [​IMG]

spearman914, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

Computer not responding to Restart or Shutdown via Start Menu

1. Computer not responding to Restart or Shutdown via Start Menu - Similar Threads - Computer responding Restart

2. Start menu and settings are not responding.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and settings are not responding.: I upgraded with windows 11 22H2, but there was some problem with the drivers so I installed them manually but now my star and some other taskbar icons are not working, also not able to go into settings, there are also no notifications. Start process from task manager is gone...
  3. Start menu and settings are not responding.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and settings are not responding.: I upgraded with windows 11 22H2, but there was some problem with the drivers so I installed them manually but now my star and some other taskbar icons are not working, also not able to go into settings, there are also no notifications. Start process from task manager is gone...
  4. not responding start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    not responding start menu: My start menu is not quite working properly. It will open couple of seconds when I click it and it will freeze. When I click on the apps it will also take some time to respond and sometimes I need to close the apps in the task manager and do it again...
  5. not responding start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not responding start menu: My start menu is not quite working properly. It will open couple of seconds when I click it and it will freeze. When I click on the apps it will also take some time to respond and sometimes I need to close the apps in the task manager and do it again...
  6. not responding start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. shutdown,sleep,restart is missing in start power menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    shutdown,sleep,restart is missing in start power menu: whenever i click on power button on start menu it shows there are no power option currently available https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutdownsleeprestart-is-missing-in-start-power/8136bb96-7481-4404-a2c7-649ff62a20dd
  8. Start Menu not responding? Restart StartMenuExperienceHost.exe in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Start Menu not responding? Restart StartMenuExperienceHost.exe in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]I am sure you must have faced a situation where the Start Menu stops responding. It either doesn’t open or sometimes it just hangs on the screen wide open. Starting with Windows 10 v1903, there is a separate process available [...] This post Start Menu not...
  9. Start menu not responding

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu not responding: Whenever I open the start menu, it works for a few seconds (but can't open any applications) and stops responding and finally closes automatically. The start menu can no longer be used to open any applications. The search bar, if not opened with the start menu opened, works...
  10. Shutdown from start menu now restarting

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown from start menu now restarting: System is Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1607 build 14393.321. Ever since the latest cumulative update to this build, I find that about half the time that I select Shutdown from the start menu, I actually get a reboot instead. If I use the command line shutdown.exe -s instead,...