Windows 10: Computer not seeing a USB drive

Discus and support Computer not seeing a USB drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to make a Windows installation stick but my computer keeps telling me to insert a stick into slot E: even though from the pic you can see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ICIT2LOL, Oct 23, 2020.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Computer not seeing a USB drive

I am trying to make a Windows installation stick but my computer keeps telling me to insert a stick into slot E: even though from the pic you can see it there.
    Any help greatly appreciated

:)

ICIT2LOL, Oct 23, 2020

2. Unable to see info on USB drive

Check if the drive is assigned a drive letter.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Disk drives

Right click the external drive

Click uninstall

Exit Device Manager, restart then check if its detected.

OR

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, Oct 23, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    computer not recognizing usb drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to use USB drive on your computer. I’ll certainly assist you with this.

However, please let us know:

• Do you receive any error when connecting a USB drive?
    • Does this issue occur only with one particular USB or with all the USB drives?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to this issue?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

Error: “USB Device not recognized”
    except for Method 1 and 2.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 23, 2020
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Computer not seeing a USB drive - Similar Threads - Computer seeing USB

2. Windows 11 computer not seeing USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 computer not seeing USB flash drives: I have an Asus computer from 2018 https://www.newegg.com/gold-asus-f510uf-es71-mainstream/p/N82E16834234920 that has windows 11. I haven't used flash drives on it in a while my kids computer. I recently tried to put flash drives in and they were not recognized. I tried...
  3. Windows 11 computer not seeing USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 computer not seeing USB flash drives: I have an Asus computer from 2018 https://www.newegg.com/gold-asus-f510uf-es71-mainstream/p/N82E16834234920 that has windows 11. I haven't used flash drives on it in a while my kids computer. I recently tried to put flash drives in and they were not recognized. I tried...
  4. Recovery USB cant "see" the hard drive

Recovery USB cant "see" the hard drive: I have a HP Pavilion, 2021 model. It is running Windows 11, Came with windows 10.I have an imaging program R-Drive Image that I use for backup of my other pc. When I run the recovery USB on this laptop, the recovery program can't "see" the hard drive. It can only find the USB...
  5. my computer does not see my usb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my computer does not see my usb drive: my computer does not see my usb device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-see-my-usb-drive/d3a46900-232b-4091-8fdd-e7cd4e6ba80e
  6. my computer does not see my usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer does not see my usb drive: my computer does not see my usb device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-see-my-usb-drive/d3a46900-232b-4091-8fdd-e7cd4e6ba80e
  7. my computer does not see my usb drive

8. Computer not seeing a USB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer not seeing a USB drive: I am trying to make a Windows installation stick but my computer keeps telling me to insert a stick into slot E: even though from the pic you can see it there. Any help greatly appreciated 166956
  9. Cant see usb drive

Cant see usb drive: I cannot access my external Seagate USB drive. I can see it in disc management but the change drive letter option is greyed out. I can access other USB drives that I plug into the same port and can access the seagate drive from other computers. I have tried updating the...
  10. Unable to see SOME usb drives

Unable to see SOME usb drives: I have just set up a new HP Envy laptop. I am left with a strange problem about which I am very mystified. I have at least 6 portable drives including a thumbdrive, a WD portable, 3 satas in caddies and 1 ssd in a caddy. All of these are seen immediately on my old desktop....