Windows 10: Computer Not Shutting Down Properly

Discus and support Computer Not Shutting Down Properly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Going to have to look into this tomorrow, but I've noticed a few times recently that when I shut down it seems to shut the OS down and my monitor goes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by STU9000, Jun 17, 2021.

1. STU9000 Win User

Computer Not Shutting Down Properly

Going to have to look into this tomorrow, but I've noticed a few times recently that when I shut down it seems to shut the OS down and my monitor goes off and everything - but the computer stays on. The light on the front stays on and it still makes a noise and I have to then hold the power button to get it to shut down completely. This time I did this and turned it back on and then had to hold the power button to turn it off again before turning it back on a second time, because it didn't come back on. First time I noticed this was a few weeks ago when I came back from a trip outside to find the light on the front still on, and then the other morning I got up and the damn thing had been on all night! I guess it's something running in the background stopping it from shutting down probably. It's fairly new HP Omen gaming computer, and I haven't yet taken the plunge on version 21H1 but maybe that will fix it..

:)

STU9000, Jun 17, 2021

2. win 10 will not shut down properly

Hi Richard,

Usually, this issue occur due to outdated or corrupted device drivers, services or processes which are not shutting down properly, or third-party programs that prevents your computer to shut down properly. For better assistance, we'll be needing additional
    information:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Is this an error message Explorer\windows\settingsync\BackgroundUploadTask? If yes, where are you getting this message?
    • If possible, can you send us a screenshot?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you run the Power troubleshooter as an initial troubleshooting step. To run the Power troubleshooter, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and select Settings.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Power
      and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Jun 17, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Pro (fully updated) will not shut down properly

Hi Chayan,

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • How exactly are you shutting down the computer? Is it from Start menu?
    • Did you try shutting down by pressing and holding the power button?
    • Did you make any recent changes to the computer settings?
    • Did you plug any external device to the computer?
    I would like to inform you that it is bit difficult to pin point on the exact reason behind the issue unless we get the answers for the questions asked above.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to press and hold the power button and check if the computer able to shut down completely.

If the issue persist try unplug plug the charger\power cord from the power source and check if the issue persists, this may also arise due to any fault in the power source.

If the above steps doesn’t work, I suggest you to check if the fast startup option is enabled.

• Access control panel by right clicking on the Start menu.
    • Choose Power options.
    • Select Choose what the power buttons do and check if it is enabled.(Disable it if enabled)
    Please let us know if you are able to shut down the system properly after following the above steps. If the issue persists, please reply with the required information. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 17, 2021
  4. Computer Not Shutting Down Properly

my computer won't shut down properly.

Windows 10 - my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power
    button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions? Thanks In Advance.

RaihanMahmudBD, Jun 17, 2021
Thema:

Computer Not Shutting Down Properly

1. Computer Not Shutting Down Properly - Similar Threads - Computer Shutting Down

2. "Windows not properly shut down"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Windows not properly shut down": New Desktop, Windows 11 all up to date.I check 'Reliability History' occasionallyHave seen this error in the past when the power supply has been switched off without shutting down Windows on other PCs.As per the image I am getting random shut downs but the PC is not shutting...
  3. My computer isn't shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer isn't shutting down properly: Hello...I just installed Ubuntu on my PC alongside Windows 11. I was thinking it was Windows 10. and after the install. I booted Windows 11 and after a while, I tried to shut down the PC. It showed the shut down screen, then after a blank screen, It boots up my desktop and...
  4. My computer isn't shutting down properly

My computer isn't shutting down properly: Hello...I just installed Ubuntu on my PC alongside Windows 11. I was thinking it was Windows 10. and after the install. I booted Windows 11 and after a while, I tried to shut down the PC. It showed the shut down screen, then after a blank screen, It boots up my desktop and...
  5. Windows was not properly shut down

Windows was not properly shut down: Hello I'm Amirali.When Windows shuts down, the power goes out and the system shuts down suddenly. The next time the system turns on for a longer time but no error or warning is displayed. This causes all services and file systems to shut down suddenly; I have no problem with...
  6. Not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not shutting down properly: Hi, My machine, running windows 10 pro, 64 bit, does not shut down properly. I only realised recently that if I press a key, it fires back up. I have shut down in windows using the normal power function as usual and it's not set up to go into hibernation. I think it's been...
  7. Proper Shut Down?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Proper Shut Down?: Hello, I have recently reinstalled my windows 10 pro(not sure if that's important info) after several years. The way I had my win 10 set up previously before this, was that when I go to turn the PC off, it clears everything. closes all apps and when I start it, I know I...
  8. Windows was not properly shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows was not properly shut down: It says "The previous system shutdown at 8:41:12 PM on ‎2/‎14/‎2018 was unexpected." it happen in many times. but it never happen when I plug in the charger....
  9. Not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Not shutting down properly: Hi all *Smile Bit of a strange problem with Windows 10 on my desktop - it doesn't seem to shut down properly. I get the usual 'shutting down' screen, but (sometimes) when it turns back on it's resumes at a stage maybe 30 seconds before I switched it off. For example, if I...
  10. Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!: Since upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, I remain perplexed about this one issue that is plaguing my system: Almost every shut down is reported in the Windows 10 Reliability Monitor as the computer was not shut down properly. This happens on both shut downs and restarts using...