Windows 10: Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close

Discus and support Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all! I have had a Windows Surface Laptop for 2 years now. Recently, when I close my laptop, the screen does not sleep and the screen light can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Sarah Eileen, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close

Hi all! I have had a Windows Surface Laptop for 2 years now. Recently, when I close my laptop, the screen does not sleep and the screen light can still be seen. I have checked the Power Options/System Settings and the computer is set to sleep when the lid is closed.

Since the settings are correct, what else may be causing this issue?

:)

Sarah Eileen, Nov 8, 2019

2. Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

Hi Shari,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.

• Select on Control Panel.

• Click on Power Options. On the left, click on "Choose what closing the lid does". Click on the drop down menu for "When I close the lid" and choose "Sleep" or "Hibernate.

Method 2: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.

Method 3: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to
    reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Nov 8, 2019
  3. JAMES1046 Win User
    computer dosen't **** down or go to sleep when i close the lid.

computer doesn't shut down or go to sleep when I close lid, thus draining my battery over night. my setting set to sleep when I close lid. when left plugged in it still doesn't shut down . any suggestions ?

JAMES1046, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close

Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

JoshuaOsandatuwa, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close

1. Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close - Similar Threads - Computer Sleeping Lid

2. Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.: I am on Windows 10 HP laptop and when I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep or turn off the screen.I have the "When I close the lid" in system settings set to sleep on battery and sleep plugged in. It doesn't work though....
  3. Laptop is going to sleep after closing the lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop is going to sleep after closing the lid: Hello, my notebook is going to sleep, after closing the lid, even that settings are set right - to not performe any action.After that, i can wake up notebook, but the system is very slow, impossible to play games etc. I have to restart notebook with lid closed, and then...
  4. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  5. Laptop Not Going To Sleep After Closing Lid.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Not Going To Sleep After Closing Lid.: My Windows 10 Laptop does not turn off and is still fully functional, everything still working and going after I close the laptop lid. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-not-going-to-sleep-after-closing-lid/57bbc0eb-9103-4c5e-953d-48f2393646c7
  6. computer not going to sleep on lid closing

computer not going to sleep on lid closing: Since update Feb 09/21 KB4601319, OS build 19041.804 and 19042.804, computer no longer enters sleep mode which is configured to happen when the lid closes. Gary...
  7. Computer doesn't sleep when I close the lid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer doesn't sleep when I close the lid: [ATTACH] This problem started recently. Normally when I close the lid, my computer goes to sleep and I have to unlock it. However, it hasn't been doing that lately and I have to manually put it to sleep. I've checked the settings and it's set to go to sleep when i close my...
  8. Computer acts strange after going to sleep closing lid

Computer acts strange after going to sleep closing lid: I am having a problem with my laptop. Its an Asus Zenbook on Windows 10. The issue is often not always, but frequently after I close the lid and the laptop goes to sleep whether it be for 10 min or overnight this causes problems. The main problems are: 1 When I wake up...
  9. Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.: [ATTACH] Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here. My school issued laptop will not go to sleep when i close the "lid". It will only sleep if I click the start button and select sleep, which is fine, however; sometimes I just close it up out of habit, and when I come back...
  10. Closing lid does not put computer to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Closing lid does not put computer to sleep: Brand new Dell XPS-13 with Windows 10 Creators Update My laptop does NOT go to sleep when the lid is closed. PLEASE NOTE the following: Settings>System>Power Options>"Choose what closing the lid does">"When I close the lid">Sleep Sleep is the option. 88530