Windows 10: Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close

Discus and support Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all! I have had a Windows Surface Laptop for 2 years now. Recently, when I close my laptop, the screen does not sleep and the screen light can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Sarah Eileen, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close

Hi all! I have had a Windows Surface Laptop for 2 years now. Recently, when I close my laptop, the screen does not sleep and the screen light can still be seen. I have checked the Power Options/System Settings and the computer is set to sleep when the lid is closed.

Since the settings are correct, what else may be causing this issue?

:)

Sarah Eileen, Nov 8, 2019

2. Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

Hi Shari,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.

• Select on Control Panel.

• Click on Power Options. On the left, click on "Choose what closing the lid does". Click on the drop down menu for "When I close the lid" and choose "Sleep" or "Hibernate.

Method 2: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.

Method 3: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to
    reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Nov 8, 2019
  3. JAMES1046 Win User
    computer dosen't **** down or go to sleep when i close the lid.

computer doesn't shut down or go to sleep when I close lid, thus draining my battery over night. my setting set to sleep when I close lid. when left plugged in it still doesn't shut down . any suggestions ?

JAMES1046, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close

Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

JoshuaOsandatuwa, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close

1. Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close - Similar Threads - Computer Sleeping Lid

2. laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings: Hello all, We use Dell laptops at my office. Power & Sleep settings under 'Sleep' are battery - sleep in 20 minutes, plugged in - sleep Never. Most of our users have the laptops in a docking station (Dell Latitude E-series dock) or use a USB-C/Thunderbolt dock (Dell WD19TB)...
  3. Windows 10 doesn't sleep when lid closed

Windows 10 doesn't sleep when lid closed: How is it that Microsoft has not figured out how to solve this problem for the past 15+ years? I think the code looks something like this: If lid=closed then sleep Of course someone will inevitably reply to this and tell me how it's "not this simple." Yes, jackass from...
  4. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Since the Windows 10 May 2019 update, the laptop cannot wake up when the lid is opened. The power button lights up and fans start up but the screen stays black and the computer doesn't respond to any button (not even the power button which would normally put it to sleep), or...
  5. My laptop continues to sleep when lid is closed.

My laptop continues to sleep when lid is closed.: I changed the options to 'Do Nothing' when I close the lid, yet it still sleeps when I do it. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-continues-to-sleep-when-lid-is-closed/c52cc16f-5f88-4d6d-b3d9-5b0e6014e9a4
  6. Is there a option to Sleep after laptop is unplugged and the lid is closed.

Is there a option to Sleep after laptop is unplugged and the lid is closed.: I have this little quirk that has left me with a dead battery a few times since XP. The situation I'm in is when I have a laptop that's hooked up to a External Monitor/KB/Mouse, then I go to leave, unplug the laptop, stow it, later on arrive with a dead battery. It arrives...
  7. Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode.: I've verified the correct Settings, even run hardware troubleshooter. Any suggestions? DELL Inspiron 5555 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/closing-lid-does-not-put-pc-to-sleep-mode/aed5d80b-574d-4547-8b9a-f41a99e6030d
  8. BSOD when closing computer lid

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when closing computer lid: Hi, every time i close my computer lid, which is supposed to suspend the computer, it instead reboots causing bsod as i can see My computer is an asus n551jx running windows 10. I send the dump file attached thanks for helping Attachment 81023 51042
  9. Computer shuts down when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when lid is closed: My computer doesn't suspend or hibernate when I close the lid no matter which configurations I set on power options. It always shuts down the computer. If I click the power button before closing the lid, it suspends but when I close the lid he shuts down. I've tried to update...
  10. Closing lid does not put computer to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Closing lid does not put computer to sleep: Brand new Dell XPS-13 with Windows 10 Creators Update My laptop does NOT go to sleep when the lid is closed. PLEASE NOTE the following: Settings>System>Power Options>"Choose what closing the lid does">"When I close the lid">Sleep Sleep is the option. 88530