Windows 10: Computer not working when coming out of sleeep

Discus and support Computer not working when coming out of sleeep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I set the Power options in the Control panel for the display to turn off for e.g. 10 minutes. When not using the computer, the screen is put to sleep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aliskander, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Computer not working when coming out of sleeep

I set the Power options in the Control panel for the display to turn off for e.g. 10 minutes.
    When not using the computer, the screen is put to sleep after that amount of time.
    If I then try to get it out of this modus by moving the mouse or tapping any key on the keyboard I get a screen but NO icons on the taskbar and an empty background (no actief apps).
    I can see mouse movements but I can' t d launch any apps.
    when I set the turn off display setting to "never", obviously the computer never went to sleep and everything stays as it should be.

My configuration is as follows:
    Win10 Home Edition
    Intel 64-bit

Is this a known problem and is there a solution?
    Thanks in advance

:)

aliskander, Sep 12, 2015
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Computer boots from start when coming out of sleep mode

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer the below question to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Let’s follow the below methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check the issue.

The power troubleshooter can automatically detect and fix any incorrect power settings. Refer to these steps to run this troubleshooter:

1) Type Troubleshooting in the search box and select Troubleshooting Now select view all option on the left pane.

2) Click on Power troubleshooter and follow the prompts.

Method 2: Reset and restore the power plans to default.

1. Click “Windows Key + X”, and then click on command prompt.

2. In the command prompt, type powercfg –restoredefaultschemes and hit Enter.

3. Exit command prompt.

Note: This would reset the power plan settings to default. Any previously customized power plans would be removed.

Method 3: I suggest you to Change Screen and Sleep settings in Current Power Plan in Settings app and see if it helps:

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Power & sleep on the left side, and set the Screen and Sleep settings to what you want for your current power plan.

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Sep 12, 2015
  3. Why is my computer crashing when coming out of sleep mode?

Hello,

Your computer may be crashing due to outdated drivers. This can also be connected to outdated Operating System. To isolate the cause of this and identify if this is a hardware or software issue, we need additional information.

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the error message that you're getting?

We look forward to your response.

Marilou Ser, Sep 12, 2015
  4. davexnet Win User

Computer not working when coming out of sleeep

A couple of things to try, put the cursor in the middle of the screen, left click, then the f5 key.
    If no good, ctrl-alt-del, Task manager/details tab. Sort by name. Is explorer.exe running ?
    If it is, right click and end process.
    Then file/new task - explorer.exe (enter)

It's possible something is going wrong with the power savings (sleep), possibly involving the video driver, or some other device
    connected to the PC. Might have to dig into the event viewer for clues.

davexnet, Sep 13, 2015
  5. I kinda have the same issue.

When I put my laptop to sleep, via close the lid, and try to wake it up again by opening the lid and moving the mouse and using key on the key board, it stays a black screen. The only way I know how to fix this is to to a hard shut down by holding the power button and starting it back up.

I have tried my methods to fix this but nothing seems to work.

hp Laptop
    Windows 10
    Intel (x64 bit)

warrenzz0017, Sep 13, 2015
  6. Gambler71 Win User
    On some of my computers I have had to turn off Hybrid Sleep:
    * right click START button and choose Control Panel
    * Hardware and Sound
    * Change when the computer sleeps
    * Change advanced power settings
    * click + button next to SLEEP
    - Allow hybrid sleep ... OFF APPLY / OK

Restart computer and let the screensaver kick in to test.

If you do not see that setting (usually between SLEEP AFTER and HIBERNATE AFTER) then your computer does not support it and the option is thus not there.

Gambler71, Sep 15, 2015
  7. I have an old compaq that was supposed to be compatible with upgrade, but it's not. This is as advanced a fix I have established since experiencing this upon upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 earlier this summer.

If you have an external monitor you can plug in, I'd be curious to know if it is actually receiving the video feed after waking up, instead of your built in monitor on the laptop. Mine did.

I notice that if I choose to put the laptop to sleep via closing the lid, this issue always happens. However, if I choose to press the sleep button either on the screen itself, or using my Fn+F5 button (sleep for this computer), it goes to sleep just fine and wakes up just fine. That's as far as I've gotten but it took some time to figure this out. I have a feeling I'm just in a holding pattern with this computer until either Microsoft, Intel (graphics card) or HP figure this out and it's solved with an update down the road.

Updating BIOS and trying to upgrade graphics card driver did not do anything to resolve this issue, nor did a hard reset.

paulcstone, Oct 27, 2015
  8. Computer not working when coming out of sleeep

Thank you forthis ing-fo.
    I'll give it a try.
    gabriël

aliskander, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Computer not working when coming out of sleeep

1. Computer not working when coming out of sleeep - Similar Threads - Computer working coming

2. When window 12 come out ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When window 12 come out ?: When will the time period be? What criteria are needed to update Windows 12? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-window-12-come-out/64e18cae-50d6-43d8-962b-f40cea7c46d9
  3. When window 12 come out ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When window 12 come out ?: When will the time period be? What criteria are needed to update Windows 12? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-window-12-come-out/64e18cae-50d6-43d8-962b-f40cea7c46d9
  4. When will Windows 12 come out?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will Windows 12 come out?: Any idea? : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-will-windows-12-come-out/127fcd4a-4611-49b1-a9a8-447a1cb04efd
  5. When will Windows 12 come out?

When will Windows 12 come out?: Any idea? : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-will-windows-12-come-out/127fcd4a-4611-49b1-a9a8-447a1cb04efd
  6. When Is Windows 12 Coming out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When Is Windows 12 Coming out: Hi Microsoft,Just Wondering when Windows 12 is coming out or if there will be a windows 12Kind Regards,Josh https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-is-windows-12-coming-out/2e15e197-93fe-4cb6-be01-053e55d52436
  7. When Is Windows 12 Coming out

When Is Windows 12 Coming out: Hi Microsoft,Just Wondering when Windows 12 is coming out or if there will be a windows 12Kind Regards,Josh https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-is-windows-12-coming-out/2e15e197-93fe-4cb6-be01-053e55d52436
  8. When is winget going to come out?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When is winget going to come out?: That is the only thing that kept me from coming back to Windows, the package manager. I know I can install 3rd party ones but I don't like them very much. submitted by /u/jf4488 [link] [comments]...
  9. Headphones not working, sound comes out of speakers when plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones not working, sound comes out of speakers when plugged in: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 15 500 Gaming laptop with an audio issue. When plugging in any headphones, there used to be a popup that asked which device I just plugged in, which doesn't happen anymore. I have reinstalled the Realtek audio drivers by uninstalling with Driver...
  10. Computer will not come out of sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer will not come out of sleep: My computer will not come out of sleep. When I hit a key or click the mouse, it will power for a moment and then appears to just turn off. I have to push the power button and completely boot up as if it was shutdown. I have checked my mouse/keyboard settings regarding...