Windows 10: Computer occasionally stops using one GPU

Discus and support Computer occasionally stops using one GPU in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My Dell gaming laptop has two GPUs: an Intel card, and a GTX 1060. Every 30 minutes or so, no matter what I'm doing on my computer, it will randomly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Andrew Himelstein, May 18, 2020.

1. Computer occasionally stops using one GPU

My Dell gaming laptop has two GPUs: an Intel card, and a GTX 1060. Every 30 minutes or so, no matter what I'm doing on my computer, it will randomly force the Intel card to do all of the work instead of sharing it between the two cards. The attached picture shows what it reads in the task manager during these "episodes", as I like to call them. Whenever it happens, the Intel GPU will usually max out at 100%, while the 1060 does almost nothing. My will computer run appallingly slow for about 2 minutes and then go back to normal. It can cause YouTube videos to stop playing, games to run anywhere from 1-10 frames per second, my mouse cursor to stop moving, and in some cases my computer will black screen for a little bit.

I've searched the Internet far and wide trying to find a solution, but nothing has worked. I've tried to assign certain apps like games and Google Chrome to only use the NVIDIA GPU in Windows settings, but they will still switch back to the Intel. I've used MSI Afterburner to check the 1060's temperature, but it only gets up to about 180 F during typical use, and in fact it gets cooler every time it has an "episode"... around 160 or so.

To reiterate, as far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with the GPUs themselves. Instead, the computer just randomly decides to put all of the workload on the Intel card which barely handles its typical share anyways instead of utilizing both cards for about two minutes and then goes completely back to normal. I could be in a game and suddenly the framerate will drop to only a few frames a second, then shoot right back up to 100 fps after a couple minutes. I've had this laptop for a little over 2 years now and everything has worked fantastically except for these "episodes". If you have ever encountered this problem or know how to fix it, please let me know because I've found absolutely nothing on the Internet about it.

Specs:

-Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

-CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ @2.80GHz

-GPU 0: Intel HD Graphics 630

-GPU 1: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 1060 with Max-Q Design

-16GB RAM, ~1TB Hard drive, ~100GB SSD

Computer occasionally stops using one GPU d4ec4c43-6305-4760-b95a-1707fa6467cd?upload=true.png

:)

Andrew Himelstein, May 18, 2020

2. Computer freezes and the GPU stops running

So I have just recently made a computer and have installed windows 10 64 bit about 6-7 times now and every single time it results in the bar at the bottom of the screen becoming smaller and freezing and my GPU suddenly stops working. Always works fine for
    the first 10-15 minutes but the same thing keeps happening. I've tried putting it on different drives but it doesn't make a difference. I have checked the fans and they seem to be working well on the CPU cooler and on the case itself. When I try to troubleshoot,
    I cannot reset it and it gives me an error. Any suggestions? Update: I've gone to the command prompt and put in chkdsk/f C: and the computer has found no errors with the drives

mateoruiz5171, May 18, 2020
  3. Printing stopped with November upgrade

Hey Prestonpdx,

I would suggest you check if the print spooler is running. Start/Stop print spooler service. Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key + R, type services.msc
      and press Enter.

• From the list, locate Print Spooler service.

• Double click on the service and select Stop.

• Restart the computer, repeat step 1&2.

• Double click on the service and check if the service is started.
    Get back to us with the updated status, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

SujataMoktan, May 18, 2020
  4. Computer occasionally stops using one GPU

After the power up of the computer, GPU stops working

At First i didn't know what happend but now i know,i saw that when windows comes up GPU works, after it is up, it stops working.

also i looked at the motherboard when i powered up my computer i saw that it was on something like 100 fps there and then it said A2 and after i saw 30 or less fps and the GPU stopped working.

please help me, Thank You

Noam Vardi, May 18, 2020
Thema:

Computer occasionally stops using one GPU

1. Computer occasionally stops using one GPU - Similar Threads - Computer occasionally stops

2. Keys occasionally stop working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keys occasionally stop working.: I have had an issue with my keyboard for a while now: when typing, some of my Keys will stop working. Sometimes the functionality will return but only for a bit. The odd part Is that It mostly only effects the "I" and "K" Keys. And even odder: both Keys will still work If...
  3. Keys occasionally stop working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keys occasionally stop working.: I have had an issue with my keyboard for a while now: when typing, some of my Keys will stop working. Sometimes the functionality will return but only for a bit. The odd part Is that It mostly only effects the "I" and "K" Keys. And even odder: both Keys will still work If...
  4. Computer occasionally bluescreening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer occasionally bluescreening: For the past week, my personal computer has been occasionally blue screening with stop codes: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and most recently DRIVER_IRQ:_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. These usually happen in "bursts" where it blue screens after it restarts from the previous one,...
  5. Computer occasionally bluescreening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer occasionally bluescreening: For the past week, my personal computer has been occasionally blue screening with stop codes: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and most recently DRIVER_IRQ:_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. These usually happen in "bursts" where it blue screens after it restarts from the previous one,...
  6. BSOD occasionally after upgrading GPU to 3070.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD occasionally after upgrading GPU to 3070.: After upgrading my GPU to a 3070 I often get BSOD. I used to get BSOD before upgrading but not as regularly as now. I could be wrong and it could be after something else but I've associated it with upgrading my GPU. The BSOD most of the time point to a driver issue or memory...
  7. Stop using my GPU

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop using my GPU: The programs SearchApp.exe and Textinputhost.exe are using my GPU. Q1. How can I prevent programs that I don't want from using my GPU?Q2. Why are these programs using the GPU, is microsoft mining bit coin on users' computers?...
  8. BSOD occasionally while computer is not in use

BSOD occasionally while computer is not in use: DESKTOP-M2SIV48-(2020-10-26_09-54-03).zip I am getting occasional BSODs on my gaming Win10 PC (version 1909, build 18363.1139). Not sure what may be causing this. Any and all help is appreciated! :) 167126
  9. Optimize for occasional use?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Optimize for occasional use?: I have a (Virtual Machine) Windows install that I use only very occasionally. About once every two month or so. This means that when I actually have to use it, it downloads a ton of updates, scans the entire HD for virus (I use a slow HD because why bother with a fast SSD...
  10. Windows occasionally crashes and computer occasionally freezes.

Windows occasionally crashes and computer occasionally freezes.: I have no idea where to start with this issue. All I know is that my computer will rarely crash and restart itself and when I go to check the reliability report in the action center, the only information it gives me is that "Windows shut down unexpectedly". I don't get a blue...