Windows 10: Computer performance suddenly dipped

Discus and support Computer performance suddenly dipped in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Seemingly overnight, my computer which has been operating very smoothly has suddenly become very choppy and the performance is really bad. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Zach Ang, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Zach Ang Win User

Computer performance suddenly dipped

Hi,

Seemingly overnight, my computer which has been operating very smoothly has suddenly become very choppy and the performance is really bad. I've tried many things, namely a Fresh Start, then uninstalled apps that were contributing a large amount of page errors, Windows 10 is up to date, there is no viruses. Strangely, there was once when my computer crashed and it ran as normal after that, but after shutting it down and turning it back on the next day, it was very slow again. I am at a loss as to how to fix this issue.

:)

Zach Ang, Apr 19, 2020
  2. MoSan1 Win User

I'm new to forums, in general, but I'm at my wits end - any help would be appreciated.

My self-built computer has ran flawless for quite some time until a few days ago. One day it was fine and next day when I booted up the computer started running very slow. It takes a long time to even register mouse clicks, folders take an extended period to
    open from the desktop, programs take long to launch and stutter in performance (games, etc.) so on and so on.

I've done all the usual checks: drivers, viruses, updates but everything checks out. There is nothing unusual in task manager that I can tell - currently CPU 16%, Mem 11%, GPU 6% . Hardware wise, CPU, GPU temps are fine and I ran a memory diagnostic last night
    with no issue (the test literally took overnight). I've also done sfc and chkdsk scans to no avail.

Other things I've tried were a restore point to several days before any issues ever occurred - no luck. I also did a fresh Windows install.

I know for a fact that the night prior to the issues occurring I didn't intentionally download any new software, driver updates, etc.

Again, any help would be appreciated as I can't seem to find what other areas and I check to rule out the cause. I've seen normally that people will post specs and diagnostic details but I'll go out and say I'm dumb in regards to where/how to get those details.

Mobo: MSI z170A M5

CPU: i7 6700k

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080

RAM: 64gb

Win10 installed on a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD

MoSan1, Apr 19, 2020
  3. Periodic Performance Dips

Hi, I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and I was wondering if I could get help with a fairly frequent problem I have been having. I am not sure of the exact cause, but in effect, every 5 minutes, exactly as the clock goes from XX:X4 to XX:X5 or XX:X9 to
    XX:X0, my computer becomes essentially unresponsive for a few seconds. Certain programs, particularly certain video games, continue to function, but do not accept inputs. Looking at the task manager as the dip occurs, I can see that, as the dip happens, Windows
    Explorer goes from eating up less than 1% of my CPU's output to about 10%, but the dip will happen whether or not this increase is enough to push the CPU to 100% capacity.

Uberkill160, Apr 19, 2020
  4. MoSan1 Win User

Yeah i have no clue what is going on. I still need to try and reseat my cpu and also test my psu.

I’m still confused why task manager is telling me performance is ok but both Corsair Link and CPUID are showing 100% utilization when no applications are running

MoSan1, Apr 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Computer performance suddenly dipped - Similar Threads - Computer performance suddenly

2. Sudden Change in Computer Performance - Unable to Identify Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sudden Change in Computer Performance - Unable to Identify Issue: Hello,I built my PC back in December, and everything up to this point has been fine. Recently, maybe a week ago, I noticed some strange behavior: the screen will lag, and the computer freezes for up to a second before the display shows the new state. This includes typing,...
  3. Sudden Change in Computer Performance - Unable to Identify Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden Change in Computer Performance - Unable to Identify Issue: Hello,I built my PC back in December, and everything up to this point has been fine. Recently, maybe a week ago, I noticed some strange behavior: the screen will lag, and the computer freezes for up to a second before the display shows the new state. This includes typing,...
  4. Sudden Change in Computer Performance - Unable to Identify Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer Performance Suddenly Dropped

Computer Performance Suddenly Dropped: Hi everyone,Several days ago I started having performance issues when ever I attempt to play games on my computer. The type of game doesn't really matter, it could be a triple A game or the equivalent of a mobile game, and I will have serious issues trying to play it. I'm...
  6. My computer's performance suddenly tanked.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer's performance suddenly tanked.: It randomly restarted after going to a black screen with a blinking underscorr, worked fine for 20 ish minutes and then rapidly became slower and slower. So slow that it couldn't even run a game like Among Us, or even process a discord call. I couldn't even close any programs...
  7. Periodic Performance Dips

Periodic Performance Dips: Hi, I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and I was wondering if I could get help with a fairly frequent problem I have been having. I am not sure of the exact cause, but in effect, every 5 minutes, exactly as the clock goes from XX:X4 to XX:X5 or XX:X9 to XX:X0, my computer...
  8. Computer performing way below expectations all of a sudden

Computer performing way below expectations all of a sudden: Hello, My computer is performing way below expectations as of recently. I have done almost everything from a system restore, chkdsk, /scannow, scanned for malware with my premium malware bytes, and still no solution to be found. Running tests saying that my CPU has high...
  9. Computer performance suddenly dipped

Computer performance suddenly dipped: #1 I'm new to forums, in general, but I'm at my wits end - any help would be appreciated. My self-built computer has ran flawless for quite some time until a few days ago. One day it was fine and next day when I booted up the computer started running very slow. It takes a...
  10. Sudden Decrease in Performance?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sudden Decrease in Performance?: Ok, first off, I upgraded to the insider preview a long time ago from Win7 Ulti. I can't recall exactly when, but it was sometime between November and January. When I was still on 7, I was having some intermittent issues, and was thinking about wiping, but then I just...