Windows 10: Computer randomly restarts when idle at desktop

Discus and support Computer randomly restarts when idle at desktop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Ever since I upgraded my PC back in October of 2019, occasionally my PC will restart when it's sitting idle. For example, I'll be playing a game, then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SniperSR25, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Computer randomly restarts when idle at desktop

Ever since I upgraded my PC back in October of 2019, occasionally my PC will restart when it's sitting idle. For example, I'll be playing a game, then I'll quit to desktop, walk to the kitchen, hear it restart, walk in and see that it had restarted. Another example is in the morning, I wake up my PC, hop in the shower, come back and see it has restarted.

The weirdest part is it happens only when I'm not there and it's just sitting idle, no applications open or anything. It doesn't restart when I'm gaming, on YouTube, watching Netflix, etc.

I also noticed that sometimes my Lorex Cloud security camera software will randomly close regardless of what I'm doing on my PC. Though, that could be just a software issue.

As for my PC hardware, most major components are new and properly installed. I have about 85GB of free space left on my 2TB SSD so space isn't an issue. My computer has never been prone to overheating, and if that was the case, I'd expect the restart to occur during heavy gaming sessions, not sitting idle at desktop. I did a MBAM scan to make sure no one hacked my computer and is restarting it, sounds silly but why not be safe than sorry.

I looked at the Windows log viewer and it indicated those shutdowns were Event IDs 6008 and said they were just unexpected shutdowns. Didn't really help me narrow anything down. Here is the XML for the most recent one

-<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    -<System>
    <Provider Name="EventLog" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreatedSystemTime="2020-04-20T20:44:44.110638400Z" />
    <EventRecordID>20314</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-CJUDOJM</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    -<EventData>
    <Data>4:43:23 PM</Data>
    <Data>‎4/‎20/‎2020</Data>
    <Data />
    <Data />
    <Data>6136</Data>
    <Data />
    <Data />
    <Binary>E40704000100140010002B001700CB01E40704000100140014002B001700CB013C0000003C000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

PC Specs:

MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming

CPU: i9-9900K water cooled and auto O.C. in BIOS settings

RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB 2x16 DDR4-3200

GPU: EVGA GTX 2080 Ti FTW 3 11GB

SSD #1: Samsung 860 Evo 2TB Drive 1 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

SSD #2: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Drive 2 - Windows 7 64-bit

PSU: Corsair 1000W ATX 12V

Monitor #1: ASUS 27" @ 165Hz with G-Sync Display 1

Monitor #2: ASUS 24" @ 144Hz Display 2

UPS: CyberPower 1500VA

:)

SniperSR25, Apr 20, 2020

2. random restarts

Hi Lili,

Hardware failure or system instability can cause the computer to
    randomly restarts. As our initial troubleshooting step, we suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter on your computer and check if it fixes the issue. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshoot.
    • Under Find and fix other problems look for
      Power.
    • Then Run the troubleshooter.

Update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Marilou Ser, Apr 20, 2020
  3. ilgoldman Win User
    Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused Computer randomly restarts when idle at desktop :confused:*Mad Computer randomly restarts when idle at desktop :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Apr 20, 2020
  4. Computer randomly restarts when idle at desktop

Computer restarting randomly

Hi,

We want to know more about the issue you're having with your PC starting randomly. Please answer the questions below:

• When your PC restarts, are you having any error messages?
    • You said you got the computer fixed, do you remember what changes were made to the PC? Is this before changing the power supply or after?

Your response to our queries will be appreciated.

Robert Caw, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

Computer randomly restarts when idle at desktop

1. Computer randomly restarts when idle at desktop - Similar Threads - Computer randomly restarts

2. Random Restarts When Idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Restarts When Idle: My computer keeps randomly restarting when left idle for a bit. I have attached my .dmp files. Assistance would be greatly appreciated!https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZGwHST52tMmk0JeDmp37KhZA1E0kaT57?usp=drive_link...
  3. Random Restarts When Idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Restarts When Idle: My computer keeps randomly restarting when left idle for a bit. I have attached my .dmp files. Assistance would be greatly appreciated!https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZGwHST52tMmk0JeDmp37KhZA1E0kaT57?usp=drive_link...
  4. Computer restarting at random times when browsing, in idle, but never while in game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer restarting at random times when browsing, in idle, but never while in game.: Hello,Encountering this annoying issue where my PC would randomly restart and it happens now for a few months, every day i use PC, but while i play games it never happens unless i alt tab browsing. It started when i replaced my GPU from 1070 to 4080, but am not sure if GPU is...
  5. Computer crashes randomly or when idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer crashes randomly or when idle: As the title says, my computer has been crashing lately, either a black screen or the image on my monitor freezes, I'm then forced to power off the computer by holding the power button for a bit as it is completely unresponsive. It usually happens when I leave my computer...
  6. Computer crashes randomly or when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashes randomly or when idle: As the title says, my computer has been crashing lately, either a black screen or the image on my monitor freezes, I'm then forced to power off the computer by holding the power button for a bit as it is completely unresponsive. It usually happens when I leave my computer...
  7. Computer crashes randomly or when idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Random restart while idle

Random restart while idle: Hello all! Hope everyone is doing well. Please kindly see attached for the files compiled by the V2 Log Collector: IANP-LAPTOP-(2021-06-27_15-17-13).zip. My Windows Version is: Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1055). Thank you very much, God bless, stay safe and healthy, and have...
  9. Computer restarting when idling

Computer restarting when idling: I have had a series of problems following recent Windows 10 Updates. Everything seems to have slowed down. The most recent issue is that my PC is restarting whenever I leave it idling for any length of time. Can anyone help?...
  10. *Help* Computer Restarts only when Idle

in Windows 10 Customization
    *Help* Computer Restarts only when Idle: Specs i7-9700k GTX 1070 MSI Z390 Gaming Plus 16 GB of Ram HDD Toshiba SDD WDC 600w Bronze PSU So weird problem I have been having. My computer out of the blue has gone on reboot loops. I naturally thinking this was a windows problem gone awry I had deleted the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I9 restart when idle