Windows 10: Computer randomly shuts down, power cycles for the sec then shut down and repeats

Discus and support Computer randomly shuts down, power cycles for the sec then shut down and repeats in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; #1 So I have fixed all the problems I have encountered with my pc for the past 7 ish years, browsing through forums, hit and miss etc. but this is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AstonQuin, Mar 21, 2021.

1. AstonQuin Win User

Computer randomly shuts down, power cycles for the sec then shut down and repeats

[COLOR=rgba124, 146, 146, 1][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba25, 30, 30, 1]So I have fixed all the problems I have encountered with my pc for the past 7 ish years, browsing through forums, hit and miss etc. but this is the first time I am posting to publicly ask for help. I've never encountered this and cant find it anywhere. I have a pc that will randomly shut down out of the blue, and then attempt to boot itself back up, but no longer then 3 seconds into its power up it shuts down again, I can hear an actual clicking sound from the psu everytime it does. My short fix is to leave it alone for a while numerous hours and it might boot again before a couple weeks later it will do the same. Steps I have done: cpu is not overheating, monitored it, reset cmos, clean install of windows, rollback of windows update, updated bios, resat cpu, un plugged and replugged all cables and made sure they were proper connections, regularly clean the inside of dust, changed psu. I have tried more over the while but I cant remember, even took it to a tech shop for the first time, first time I went there they said my motherboard stands weren't right, charged me for it and I went home for it just to happen again apparently they stress tested it and all. Came back the second time, they charged me for it, and said they changed the power button as they thought it was a sticky power button I knew that was a possibility but was pretty sure that wasnt it. Low and behold its happened again.

Note: all parts on this pc are less then 1.5years old, except for the cpu fan and 1 HDD
    Specs: Windows 10, Geforce 1660 super OC 6gb, i5 96ooK cpu, gigabyte Z390 UD motherboard, booting of 860 EVO, Corsair CS650M psu and viper ddr4 steel 16gb 3000mhz RAM[/COLOR]

:)

AstonQuin, Mar 21, 2021

2. Laptop randomly shuts down after latest Windows 10 update

Since the latest update of Windows 10 my computer decides to randomly shut down after every couple of minutes. First the screen goes black, then the sounds stops and after quite a while the power also goes down.

Obviously I though of cleaning the fan with a big vacuum, as suggested on My Windows 10 Computer Randomly Shuts Down . However, after doing this, the shutting down goes even quicker. I cannot even properly log-on before the shutdown takes place.

What should be my next step?

Ps. The computer is quited aged (roughly 3 - 4 years). The battery is dead enough such that I always need to have it plugged in an outlet. It might just be "done for" but I'm hoping to revive it for just a little bit more.

Robin Kramer, Mar 21, 2021
  3. ilgoldman Win User
    Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused Computer randomly shuts down, power cycles for the sec then shut down and repeats :confused:*Mad Computer randomly shuts down, power cycles for the sec then shut down and repeats :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Mar 21, 2021
  4. random Win User

Computer randomly shuts down, power cycles for the sec then shut down and repeats

Computer Shuts Off Randomly

I think you need at least a 450w PSU for that card.. To confirm that you have enough power for the GPU, remove the GPU and then see if your computer still shuts down.

random, Mar 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Computer randomly shuts down, power cycles for the sec then shut down and repeats - Similar Threads - Computer randomly shuts

2. Computer randomly shut down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer randomly shut down.: Hello. I was playing Beyond Blue, on a PC I just recently installed a RX 580 in, and the computer just randomly shut down. I'm trying to figure out why it happened. I'm wondering if the 450 watt PSU isn't enough. I'm using:Intel Core i7-670016GB DDR3-1600 RAMRX 580Event...
  3. computer randomly shuts down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    computer randomly shuts down: computer randomly shuts down while gamingi have a new install of windows 11 and upon trying to trouble shoot it myself this is the information i could find 'The previous system shutdown at 13:38:51 on ‎01/‎09/‎2023 was unexpected.'this has happened at least a dozen times in...
  4. Computer "randomly" shut down

Computer "randomly" shut down: Hello, I have a problem for few days with my computer.When I start it, there a two cases- Sometimes it boots correctly and let me few minutes on the desktop or doing some tasks before shutting down. The screen does not go blue no blue screen of death or classic shut down blue...
  5. Computer shutting down randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer shutting down randomly: For the past month my Surface Pro 6 has been shutting down randomly. I've tried everything I could find but nothing works.I recently checked event viewer and found thisThe process C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe <Computername> has initiated the power off of computer...
  6. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly: My laptop is Lenovo 120s 14iap. Recently it keeps randomly shutting down. I checked event viewer and it shows some error event id 41 63, 6008. I did reinstall windows, updated the driver from windows update, and tried some fix from internet. Here i've managed system event log...
  7. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly: My laptop is Lenovo 120s 14iap. Recently it keeps randomly shutting down. I checked event viewer and it shows some error event id 41 63, 6008. I did reinstall windows, updated the driver from windows update, and tried some fix from internet. Here i've managed system event log...
  8. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. computer randomly shuts down....

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer randomly shuts down....: So my computer randomly shuts down when playing games and i have no clue why but i am checking the windows event viewer and it pulls up a few different warnings and i dont know what they are or what to do..... The application-specific permission settings do not grant...
  10. Computer Shuts Down Randomly

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Shuts Down Randomly: So, my friend was playing an online game (Howrse.com), and this has happened to her several times. It never happens to me while i'm on my computer. I don't play games on my computer. My computer will just shut down randomly. The monitors will go black, but the PC never...