Windows 10: Computer rebooted and my files have “disappeared”

Discus and support Computer rebooted and my files have “disappeared” in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My computer randomly rebooted itself last night and when it started up the screensaver was changed to default and all of my files have seemingly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/shrekwife22, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Computer rebooted and my files have “disappeared”

My computer randomly rebooted itself last night and when it started up the screensaver was changed to default and all of my files have seemingly “disappeared”. After much panicking I found my files in the “Users” folder in “My PC”.

I’ve backed up the files already but my issue now is how do I get my pc to what it was originally? My files aren’t in the files folder anymore, they only appear in users. It looks like all of my browser settings have reset aswell.

I’ve tried the system restore but that didn’t work. I’ve tried rebooting in safe mode, but that just gets me stuck in a black screen. Does anyone have any ideas?

submitted by /u/shrekwife22
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/shrekwife22, Dec 2, 2020
  2. Eric Ber Win User

My files have disappeared.

Hi Maureen,

To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • May we know the location of the file folder that you created that disappeared?
    • Have you tried using the Search box to search for the files that you made?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Taskbar doesn't disappear when entering fullscreen

I tried the Ctrl-Alt-Del and found Windows Explorer. Unfortunately, I didn't choose Restart; I killed the process. (didn't read the instructions well enough!) :-/ ... I did eventually find a way to Restart Windows Explorer, but the problem (disappearing Task bar not disappearing/reappearing as it should/used to) did not solve itself. I then RESTARTED the PC. Still not fixed.

So, I found another answer from microsoft and followed those steps. It worked! (needed the display driver updated.)

Here's that set of instructions:

I suggest you to try updating the Display Adapter drivers check if it works for you.

Follow the steps to update the Display driver:

Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.
    Select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
    Restart the computer after its updated and verify.

Also try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest chipset and display drivers for your computer and install the same.

paisanoglen, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Computer rebooted and my files have “disappeared”

Taskbar doesn't disappear when entering fullscreen

Dude this was a year ago

Forbidden Duck, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

Computer rebooted and my files have “disappeared”

1. Computer rebooted and my files have “disappeared” - Similar Threads - Computer rebooted files

2. All my files have disappeared!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my files have disappeared!: I upgraded to Microsoft 365 Business Premium on Windows 11, and somewhere along the lines all my files have disappeared! Some folders remain also with folders inside but all the files are gone! They're not in the Cloud, I have not deleted or moved them, and by default I...
  3. All my files have disappeared!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All my files have disappeared!: I upgraded to Microsoft 365 Business Premium on Windows 11, and somewhere along the lines all my files have disappeared! Some folders remain also with folders inside but all the files are gone! They're not in the Cloud, I have not deleted or moved them, and by default I...
  4. All my files have disappeared

All my files have disappeared: I turned on my computer, Windows 11 and all of my folders/files are gone. I've tried unhiding everything, checking in my user folder, check my recycling bin etc. Basically all the fixes on every forum I could find. I only have the one user account that I use on my laptop....
  5. All my files have disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my files have disappeared: I turned on my computer, Windows 11 and all of my folders/files are gone. I've tried unhiding everything, checking in my user folder, check my recycling bin etc. Basically all the fixes on every forum I could find. I only have the one user account that I use on my laptop....
  6. Some of my files have disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some of my files have disappeared: So, when I want to use sayyy discord's upload image feature every now and then my downloads folder have disappeared. Like pictured. This happens occasionally and doesn't affect File Explorer, and if it does have Downloads half of my files aren't even there. Funnily enough...
  7. Some of my files have disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some of my files have disappeared: So, when I want to use sayyy discord's upload image feature every now and then my downloads folder have disappeared. Like pictured. This happens occasionally and doesn't affect File Explorer, and if it does have Downloads half of my files aren't even there. Funnily enough...
  8. Some of my files have disappeared

9. All my files have disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my files have disappeared: I turned on my PC this evening and all my saved files and backups have disappeared. Also apps that I have installed have disappeared too. And apps that I have uninstalled have been re - installed. Can someone please tell me how to fix this or what has happened Thank you...
  10. Disappearance of my files from the computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Disappearance of my files from the computer: Hello I do not speak English I hope that the idea you up well (Disappearance of my files from the computer) For the first time since the installation of Windows has been pressure on signout After some time. I wanted to use the computer. The log on again But The...