Windows 10: Computer Restart Requires Holding Down Power Button

Discus and support Computer Restart Requires Holding Down Power Button in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello,We just got a refurbished PC with Windows 10. It has a weird issue that I can not figure out.When you select to do a restart, the screen comes up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by fredjl3, Jul 11, 2021.

1. fredjl3 Win User

Computer Restart Requires Holding Down Power Button

Hello,We just got a refurbished PC with Windows 10. It has a weird issue that I can not figure out.When you select to do a restart, the screen comes up that says "Restarting...", and then the monitor goes black, all the lights turn off, and you can not hear any sounds coming from the PC. However, it never restarts. And furthermore, pushing the power button then doesn't work, unless you hold it down to force the PC off or kill the power to the PC.What in the world do we need to do to fix this and get the PC to restart properly?We have already tried disabling all non-Windows services, try restar

:)

fredjl3, Jul 11, 2021
  2. cmcouwenb Win User

Lumia 625 restarts when holding power button

My Lumia 625 restarts when i push the power button and hold it.

At first the standard screen appears to power off via slide down.

But if i wait en keep on holding de power button the phone will restart.

Does any ony recongise this behavior so is this normal or a bug?

cmcouwenb, Jul 11, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to turn off computer at the Welcome screen using the power button.

Ideally, if no user has logged in to the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, I would suggest you to check the settings for power button. Refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Power Options.
    2. Click on Additional power settings.
    3. Now, click on Choose what power button does from the left pane.
    4. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    5. Select Shut down from the drop down for
      When I press the power button.

If you are using Windows 10 Pro, you may also want to check the Group Policy Settings, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Power Management\Button Settings.
    4. On the right pane, double click on Select the Power button action (plugged in), click on
      Enabled and select Shutdown from the drop down for
      Power Button Action.
    5. Repeat step 4 for Select the Power button action (on battery).
    6. Restart the computer.

If a user has logged in to the computer and then logs off from the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, if a user is logged in to the computer and locks the computer using the
    Windows key + L combination, the power button will not shutdown the computer. You will have to use the power button on the lock screen to shut down the computer.

If you do not see the shutdown button, please refer the article Shutdown:
    Allow system to be shut down without having to log on

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to provide a feedback in the
    Feedback Hub. The Feedback hub lets you tell Microsoft
    about any problems you run in to while using Windows 10 and send suggestions to help us improve your Windows experience.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 11, 2021
  4. Computer Restart Requires Holding Down Power Button

Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Laptop

• Open the Keyboard control panel item by typing keyboard into Start Menu.
    • Click the Hardware tab, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Change Settings button

Note: This step requires Administrator access
    • Click the Power Management tab, and then verify that the Allow this device to wake the computer is enabled.
    • Click OK, and then click OK again.

FreeBooter, Jul 11, 2021
Thema:

Computer Restart Requires Holding Down Power Button

1. Computer Restart Requires Holding Down Power Button - Similar Threads - Computer Restart Requires

2. PC freezes and flashes colors and forced to hold down the power button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freezes and flashes colors and forced to hold down the power button: It started one day after i was done playing minecraft and my pc just froze and flashed colors at my face and i had to hold down the power button.Yes i've done SFC /scannow what ever it wasand dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth but both said "theres no corrupted files...
  3. PC freezes and flashes colors and forced to hold down the power button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC freezes and flashes colors and forced to hold down the power button: It started one day after i was done playing minecraft and my pc just froze and flashed colors at my face and i had to hold down the power button.Yes i've done SFC /scannow what ever it wasand dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth but both said "theres no corrupted files...
  4. NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE When holding down power button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE When holding down power button: Hello, I was getting ready to sleep for the night and I told my little brother to hold down the power button on my hp all in one computer to turn it off and I saw that it wasn’t turning off and got confused and we were brought with a bsod that had an error code of...
  5. NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE When holding down power button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE When holding down power button: Hello, I was getting ready to sleep for the night and I told my little brother to hold down the power button on my hp all in one computer to turn it off and I saw that it wasn’t turning off and got confused and we were brought with a bsod that had an error code of...
  6. NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE When holding down power button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Computer freezing randomly. No blue screen, no error. Have to hold down power button to...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer freezing randomly. No blue screen, no error. Have to hold down power button to...: Usually once a day my computer will crash without warning. The fans don't make a louder noise, CPU or GPU doesn't overheat i've checked using hardware monitor and task manager. My RAM is fine, i ran the memory diagnostics, I ran the diagnostics for my SSD too which has...
  8. No Password prompt, can only restart by holding down button

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No Password prompt, can only restart by holding down button: I’m hoping someone can help me because I’m so incredibly bummed about my laptop right now. I didn’t a reset where I deleted all my files a few days ago, downloaded the basics and when I tried to restart it today after getting some errors, it shows me the screen with the time...
  9. My windows is stuck restarting after canceling update by holding down the power button

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My windows is stuck restarting after canceling update by holding down the power button: As the title says, my windows 10 is stuck rebooting after me cancelling the update by holding the power button. What happens is when i boot the laptop (an Asus Rog Strix), it shows the rog strix logo with the spinning circle, then it says undoing changes made to your...
  10. Holding down keyboard buttons

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Holding down keyboard buttons: Hello everyone. I'm having an issue with a brand new keyboard on my PC. I recently bought Gembird KB-UMGL-01 keyboard and I'm having an issue when holding down a button. For example, whenever I'm playing World of Warcraft if I hold down W to walk forward it acts as if I'm...