Windows 10: Computer restarts during installation of Windows on to m.2 SSD

Discus and support Computer restarts during installation of Windows on to m.2 SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; System specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core PSU: EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W, Semi Modular, EVGA ECO Mode GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Motherboard:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Chowmein4u, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Computer restarts during installation of Windows on to m.2 SSD

System specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core

PSU: EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W, Semi Modular, EVGA ECO Mode

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB

Motherboard: ASRock X470 Master SLI/ac

RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz (PC4-24000) CL16

M.2 SSD: Intel Solid State Drive (SSD), 660P Series, 1 TB

Issue

This is a build I just put together less than a month ago. I previously attached an HDD from my previous build to my new PC, however the HDD recently got corrupted somehow when I booted my PC. After realizing that saving that HDD was a lost cause, I removed it and now I'm trying a fresh installation of Windows on my m.2 SSD. However, while trying to install windows on to this SSD, my computer either BSOD or just restarts mid installation of Windows.

Things I've Tried:

Monitored Temps: Temperatures sit around 53 C for CPU and 31 C for MB

Tested RAM sticks: I removed my dual channel set up and tested them one at a time. Computer boots with either one installed.

Turned OFF CMS support in BIOS

Deleted all extra partitions

Cleaned partition and converted it to GPT

Stayed on BIOS for an hour to see if it would restart over time: Everything seems to be fine when I stay on the BIOS page, but once I begin the installation or set up of windows, thats where things begin to either crash or restart

Tried multiple installations of windows onto USB including both from the standard download to USB and an ISO file converted with Rufus

Conclusion

I'm not really sure what else to test for and have been at this for 3 days. I've only managed to fully install Windows once and actually make it to desktop. However, the computer only manages to stay on for about 2 minutes before crashing or restarting. I have a hunch its the MB but I'm open to anything else I can try before I buy a new one to swap it out. Let me know if there's any more info I can provide that can help debug this.

submitted by /u/Chowmein4u
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Chowmein4u, Nov 9, 2019
  2. bro67 Win User

M.2 SSD no longer being recognized

Yep. It would disable the m.2 since some motherboards have the SATA bus tied to the m.2 port.

bro67, Nov 9, 2019
  3. Thomdoc Win User
    can windows ten be installed on an M.2 ssd?

Can windows ten be installed on an M.2 ssd?

Thomdoc, Nov 9, 2019
  4. Lagged Win User

Computer restarts during installation of Windows on to m.2 SSD

M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.

Ok, this is what happened after all the comments and suggestions, @Dude: Thanx for the video, my mb had non e of those settings, it had the raid/option memory gene or achi. Can only choose one or the other. @Saltgrass, my settings did point out auto and enabled the pcie x4, gen 3. I did an bios flash as suggested, because my bios was not the latest version, after a reformat the m.2 was picked up, still cant install OS onto it as it states legacy not found, removed my dvd rom from the sata port to another, and the drive was found and installed. Only issue now is that it's still not my OS drive but it at least now works and is installed, but on the Intel rst drive the obtain memory gene option to enable is greyed out, and shows as disabled. However the program lists the M.2 and it is working 100%,. I installed overwhatch onto it, it performs perfectly. But will update the intel driver tonight and see if that makes any difference. Seems the bios flash enabled the settings listed by @Dude that was not present pre-flash.

So the m.2 drive works. I can game off it and install omnto it. Can not install windows on it, gene memmory is enabled, pcie x4 is on and on auto detect, Motherbaord lists all the drives connected, motherboard ahs been updated to latest bios. After flash new settings became available, m.2 is now on memmory gene enabled not achi, windows os is enabled and fast boost is enabled, intel rst is installed and lists all the ssds and the m.2, however the m.2 on memmory gene is dissabled and the option to enable is greyed out. Will update the driver as Essenbe suggested of the m.2 and see if anything changes. Thank you all for the help, I can now atleast use my m.2

Lagged, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

Computer restarts during installation of Windows on to m.2 SSD

1. Computer restarts during installation of Windows on to m.2 SSD - Similar Threads - Computer restarts during

2. How to install SSD / M.2 SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install SSD / M.2 SSD?: Ive got a problem. Ive currently got 1 SSD operational with around 450 GB. However, i've got 1 other SSD Which is unallocated and I dont know how to activate it and an M.2 which isnt even showing up. Not only that but I can now figure out the Disk Manager....
  3. How to install SSD / M.2 SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install SSD / M.2 SSD?: Ive got a problem. Ive currently got 1 SSD operational with around 450 GB. However, i've got 1 other SSD Which is unallocated and I dont know how to activate it and an M.2 which isnt even showing up. Not only that but I can now figure out the Disk Manager....
  4. Cannot install M.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install M.2 ssd: Im trying to install a 1tb Cruciual PCIe 3.0 NVME M.2 SSD drive into my HP 225 G7 Notebook. I created a flashable usb using the media creator yet whenever i try to install windows no drives are found. Running the diskpart command only shows my usb stick. Any ideas?...
  5. Cannot install M.2 ssd

Cannot install M.2 ssd: Im trying to install a 1tb Cruciual PCIe 3.0 NVME M.2 SSD drive into my HP 225 G7 Notebook. I created a flashable usb using the media creator yet whenever i try to install windows no drives are found. Running the diskpart command only shows my usb stick. Any ideas?...
  6. Cannot install M.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Nvme m.2 ssd is not detected during window installation

Nvme m.2 ssd is not detected during window installation: i have HP Pavilion gaming ec0100ax laptop with amd ryzen 5 3550h processor.during window installation , my ssd is not showing . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvme-m2-ssd-is-not-detected-during-window/6506c6ef-37bd-4bd4-9729-0398ea4172b0
  8. Nvme m.2 ssd is not detected during window installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nvme m.2 ssd is not detected during window installation: i have HP Pavilion gaming ec0100ax laptop with amd ryzen 5 3550h processor.during window installation , my ssd is not showing . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvme-m2-ssd-is-not-detected-during-window/6506c6ef-37bd-4bd4-9729-0398ea4172b0
  9. Installed m.2 ssd into my computer and it booted but then I restarted it and now it won't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed m.2 ssd into my computer and it booted but then I restarted it and now it won't...: I recently purchased a new NVME m.2 ssd for my PC. So I installed it no bother and then when I went to turn it on, everything booted normally and I was in windows. I noticed it didn't show up in the file explorer, so I decided to restart the pc and go to the bios but when I...
  10. Installed m.2 ssd into my computer and it booted but then I restarted it and now it won't...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed m.2 ssd into my computer and it booted but then I restarted it and now it won't...: I recently purchased a new NVME m.2 ssd for my PC. So I installed it no bother and then when I went to turn it on, everything booted normally and I was in windows. I noticed it didn't show up in the file explorer, so I decided to restart the pc and go to the bios but when I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer not restarting after m2 installation