Windows 10: Computer Restarts Etc. When Shut Down from Start Menu

Discus and support Computer Restarts Etc. When Shut Down from Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OS: Windows 10 Professional 64 bit, v. 1903, build 18362.476 Hi all. Yesterday when I wanted to shut down my computer (Start > on/off > shut down... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JeppeArne, Nov 18, 2019.

1. JeppeArne Win User

Computer Restarts Etc. When Shut Down from Start Menu

OS: Windows 10 Professional 64 bit, v. 1903, build 18362.476

Hi all.

Yesterday when I wanted to shut down my computer (Start > on/off > shut down comp.), it did not shut down, but restarted and asked for password. I then tried again to shut down the compter (Start > on/off > shut down comp.), and it actually shut down. I subsequently started the computer (pressed Start on case), entered password, and I was logged in, – but the computer almost immediately gave me a black screen. When I pressed the Start button on the case, I immediately received a logon screen (I didn't have to wait for Windows to start; Windows seemed to be already active.) WHAT IS GOING ON?

For your information: I received a Windows update less than a week ago or so. After the update, I may not have shut my computer down till yesterday.

I found a question from someone experiencing a similar issue on a site called windowsphoneinfo.com. However, they did not offer a solution there.

Hope someone can help me solve this problem, which is quite annoying, though it has no disastrous consequences.

:)

JeppeArne, Nov 18, 2019
  2. ilgoldman Win User

Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused Computer Restarts Etc. When Shut Down from Start Menu :confused:*Mad Computer Restarts Etc. When Shut Down from Start Menu :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Nov 18, 2019
  3. carbuff Win User
    Menu shuts down

At the far bottom left corner of the desktop is the Windows 10 logo. When clicked by mouse, a menu screen and a search bar opens

On my computer the menu most often opens and immediately closes. There is not enough time to allow me to access any 3rd party programs on the menu or to employ the listed Windows 10 apps including restart and power down.

Suggestions to correct this problem are appreciated.

carbuff, Nov 18, 2019
  4. Computer Restarts Etc. When Shut Down from Start Menu

Won't shut down or restart -- error X0X

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask what are the methods that you have tried to solve the issue.

The issue might occur if the computer is not shut down properly. so, I suggest you to perform a power drain by follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Shut down the Computer.
    • Remove all power source (including battery if it is a laptop).
    • Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Connect the power source and start the computer.
    • After the computer boots to the desktop, suggest you to install all the pending updates.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 18, 2019
Thema:

Computer Restarts Etc. When Shut Down from Start Menu

1. Computer Restarts Etc. When Shut Down from Start Menu - Similar Threads - Computer Restarts Etc

2. Add confirmation menu if we click on restart/Shut down button in start menu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Add confirmation menu if we click on restart/Shut down button in start menu.: Is there anyway to add a confirmation menu if we click on restart/shut down button in start button? It sucks when i want to shut down but accidentally click on restart. submitted by /u/ahtishamafzal [link] [comments]...
  3. Outerworlds shuts down after starting from game menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outerworlds shuts down after starting from game menu: I've played the game about 60 hours with no issues but know its unplayable. The game closes after I start it from the games menu every time. I re-downloaded windows and the game it worked for a little bit but know back to closing after I start the game from the main menu....
  4. Windows immediately restarts following shut down from power menu.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows immediately restarts following shut down from power menu.: I have had this problem with one of my PC's based on an ASUS MB ever since it was upgraded to Windows 10. The restart can be prevented by holding the shift key down when pressing shutdown. This is slightly inconvenient but I have put up with it for several years. However a...
  5. Computer shuts down instead of restarting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer shuts down instead of restarting: Hello, I have been having this issue for a while now. I have reinstalled the pc, complete clean installation, changed disk, added memory... all to no avail. Wheneveer I want to restart, the laptop just shuts down. I am keeping up with all sorts of updates. I have a ASUS...
  6. Computer shuts down when idle

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle: Hi. Right after installing yesterday’s Windows Updates, my computer started shutting down after being idle (or as soon as the screensaver came on). I’ve run Avast! and Maleware Bytes — both are clear, and I’ve tried clearing my browsers’ cache. Nothing seems to work....
  7. My computer restarts instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Support
    My computer restarts instead of shutting down: When I press the power key, or when I click on power>shut down, Windows 10 reboots instead every time. Is this a known fault and if so is there an easy fix for it? 61314
  8. Shut down computer when on battery

in Windows 10 Support
    Shut down computer when on battery: Hello, I need to be able to shut down my ASUS R517S laptop whenever it is running on battery (which is internal and cannot be removed easily). OS: Windows 10 Home. Why? Working in a offshore environment with a...
  9. grey screen when restarting or shutting down

in Windows 10 Support
    grey screen when restarting or shutting down: I noticed after I downloaded the most recent updates and I disabled the Windows background on the sign-in screen I now have a dull grey screen when shutting down or restarting does anyone else have this? When it says restarting or shutting down or when I'm signing in the...
  10. Computer shuts down when idle?

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle?: have made sure that all the settings i can find in power options for shutting the PC down when idle are either set to never or disabled but must have missed something somewhere? after 20 minutes or so the PC shuts itself off..... any ideas? I originally suspected a non...