Windows 10: Computer restarts when File Explorer is selected

Discus and support Computer restarts when File Explorer is selected in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Can I reinstall 'File Explorer'? I have tried every repair option on this forum. When File Explorer is selected my computer restarts. This is the only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by HowardDent, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Computer restarts when File Explorer is selected

Can I reinstall 'File Explorer'? I have tried every repair option on this forum.

When File Explorer is selected my computer restarts. This is the only problem that I have with Windows 10. I would like to reinstall File Explorer to see if that will fix it. I am having to save everything to my Desktop so that I will be able to access it.

HELP!!!

***Modified title from: File Explorer***

:)

HowardDent, Nov 21, 2019
  2. Josef Bri Win User

File explorer

Hi Tasmiya,

Thank you for the update.

Any chance you can provide us with the Advance settings window on your File Explorer? We also suggest performing the following steps indicated below.

• Press Win + X keys on the keyboard and select Command Prompt(Admin).
    • Type or copy, paste the command in the command prompt
    • sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and hit Enter.
    3.Restart the computer and check.

We'll look forward to your response.

Josef Bri, Nov 21, 2019
  3. File Explorer not opening via pinned Taskbar icon on Windows 10

Hi Leon,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I apologies for delay in reply. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to unpin the File explorer from the task bar and re-pin the File Explorer and check If issue is resolved. If issue persist, I suggest you to follow the below given steps and check if it helps:

I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information helps. Please post back with the results, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Nov 21, 2019
  4. razghost Win User

Computer restarts when File Explorer is selected

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services using MSconfig.

After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't.

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

razghost, Nov 21, 2019
Thema:

Computer restarts when File Explorer is selected

1. Computer restarts when File Explorer is selected - Similar Threads - Computer restarts File

2. Explorer frezzes when a media file is selected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer frezzes when a media file is selected: Whenever i select a video file, image file, or music file, explorer gets frozen for around 10 seconds, and it makes me go crazy. Other anwsers on other posts don't work.I've tried everything; a clean boot, an SFC scan, DISM scans, but nothing works....
  3. Explorer frezzes when a media file is selected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer frezzes when a media file is selected: Whenever i select a video file, image file, or music file, explorer gets frozen for around 10 seconds, and it makes me go crazy. Other anwsers on other posts don't work.I've tried everything; a clean boot, an SFC scan, DISM scans, but nothing works....
  4. Explorer frezzes when a media file is selected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.

File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.: First of all, this is the first time that i write something like this. When I select multiple files in File explorer it crashes. This does not happen immediately though, selecting 2 or 3 files usualy is fine, the crash usualy occurs when i select around 5-7 files or more the...
  6. File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.: First of all, this is the first time that i write something like this. When I select multiple files in File explorer it crashes. This does not happen immediately though, selecting 2 or 3 files usualy is fine, the crash usualy occurs when i select around 5-7 files or more the...
  7. File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File Explorer freezes when i select files

File Explorer freezes when i select files: When i try to open a file and i click on it the spinning wheel appears and file explorer freezes, but it only works with apps if they are in a folder. If i try pinned apps, the ones on the desktop or if i search for them they work fine. This doesn't happens to folder. Can...
  9. File explorer crashes when i select a file

File explorer crashes when i select a file: Hello dear Microsoft Community, My file explorer crashes when i select a file, right click/left click to it. Folder left click works perfectly but the file clicking isn't working and it crashes my file explorer. I can't literally open anything in my computer and it's too...
  10. File Explorer crash when selecting files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crash when selecting files: Hi Guys, I have encountered this problem (in thread line) for the past 3-5 days and I have come no closer to any solution during that period of time. Basically, as soon as I left click or right click on a file in Windows Explorer it will crash. My Windows icon in the...