Windows 10: Computer restarts when idle after upgrade to Windows 10

Discus and support Computer restarts when idle after upgrade to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After upgrading to Windows 10, my computer now restarts after I have left it idle for more than about an hour. I havent caught it in the act so I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gobi5, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Gobi5 Win User

Computer restarts when idle after upgrade to Windows 10

After upgrading to Windows 10, my computer now restarts after I have left it idle for more than about an hour. I havent caught it in the act so I don't know exactly what it does when it restarts. I changed the update settings to notify me before restart so that shouldn't be the issue in this case. Any ideas?

:)

Gobi5, Aug 4, 2015
  2. JudyJohns Win User

windows 10 upgrade - error message - unexpected store exception

after installing the free Windows 10 upgrade I keep getting the blue screen error message Computer restarts when idle after upgrade to Windows 10 :( an error has occurred and your computer needs to be restarted. error code is "unexpected store exception". It then proceeds to restart. This happens when I
    turn the computer back on after being off or idle.

JudyJohns, Aug 4, 2015
  3. System hangs

Hi,

Os upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and after upgrade the system hangs when it is idle for sometime. It will be unresponsive and I need to manually restart the Laptop.

Any Suggestions and solutions Please

Thanks

Rudresh G.S

RUDRESHG S, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Wynd Win User

Check event viewer to see what caused it. I noticed mine also randomly restarts for no reason and it shows the computer was shut down incorrectly in the log as if the power cut out (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.) I am curious if its the same problem for you because i never had this problem on windows 8.1

Wynd, Aug 4, 2015
  5. pathum Win User
    I'm having the same issue. It randomly restarts regardless of whether it is being used or idle. Last night I was playing DOTA and it restarted twice simply like a power surge. I do have some very suspicious activity in the Event Log. I will share them when i get home.
    I am however suspecting my GPU drivers (gigabyte - R7240) but there is no BSOD, just a raw restart.

pathum, Aug 4, 2015
  6. Gobi5 Win User
    The error I get is "Kernel-Power 41 (63)"

Based on my searches, it's hard to pinpoint what might be causing this, but I do not think it would be hardware-related since it started happening immediately after I did the Windows 10 upgrade and never happened before that.

Gobi5, Aug 4, 2015
  7. Onslow42 Win User
    I'm in the same position. PC reboots after being turn off. normally after about 30-45 minutes.
    If I pull the power plug and then reinstall it, it stays off!??
    Never happened with 8.1.

Onslow42, Aug 4, 2015
  8. Wynd Win User

Yeah im getting the same exact problem, what are your specs?

Asus x99 Deluxe
    5960x OCd to 4.3
    16gb 2666 ddr4
    980ti SLI
    1300 watt PSU

Anything similiar in there?

Wynd, Aug 4, 2015
  9. mrpumpkin Win User
    I would try turning off "Fast Start." Settings/system/power and sleep/Additional power settings (right pane , bottom)/Change what the power button does.

Uncheck "fast start." To ungrey it, Look towards the top for the Admin Shield to gain access.

mrpumpkin, Aug 4, 2015
  10. Gobi5 Win User
    I figured something out. Here is what has worked for me:

Go to Power & Sleep settings in the control panel.

In the Sleep settings, select a new value such as 15 minutes. However, make sure that you do not select Never. Then, click Change advanced power settings.

It seems like having "never" selected would lead to a restart for me after the upgrade to 10. It's not the perfect fix for me as I'd rather my computer not go to sleep at all (I have programs that I like to keep running as constantly as possible), but it's better than dealing with restarts.

I got this from here: Sleep mode reboot

Gobi5, Aug 5, 2015
  11. pathum Win User
    interesting find Gobi5... i'll try this too.... but now i downgraded to Windows 7. And this time it was not a restart but my screen just switched off. Monitor had no signal. (The same thing happened in the W10 installation at times too)
    Im guessing it was a loose VGA. I pulled it out, cleaned the contacts and plugged it back in. Will test it out today as well. (The VGA motherboard RAM and Processor are barely three weeks old *Sad .... )

pathum, Aug 5, 2015
  12. Chryatis Win User
    I have the same problem and error.

Asus x99-S
    i7 5620 (not overclocked)
    16gb 2666 ddr4
    Strix GTX970
    1000 watt PSU

Chryatis, Aug 6, 2015
  13. klepp0906 Win User

Same thing. Just happened for the first time I caught today. Has me worried as heck considering I spent almost 10k building this thing and I really can't afford to replace any hardware after just having my first kid.

This thread and its potential relation to windows 10 makes me feel a little better. Lord knows it's been an unstable mess in other areas. Mostly related to specific games, gpu drivers, or raid drivers.

Guess all we can do is watch and hope ms and other hardware providers get in gear cause windows 10 while a definite improvement over 8, is certainly not there yet.

klepp0906, Aug 10, 2015
  14. Deryus66 Win User
    I have the same exact problem I think microsoft will find a fix to this as it is a bug with alot of people it annoys me too

Deryus66, Aug 10, 2015
  15. klepp0906 Win User
    They better and soon because this is very very bad for your hardware let alone the data loss potential. I assume Microsoft could even have legal liability if this becomes widespread and begins causing hardware failures from power being cut randomly.

Until then I get to be annoyed and paranoid each time it happens that I'm going to restart to a corrupted windows install.

So far I've seen a whole lot of nothing except definition updates for windows defender that needs to STAY OFF. Ugh! *Tongue

klepp0906, Aug 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Computer restarts when idle after upgrade to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Computer restarts idle

2. Random Restarts When Idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Restarts When Idle: My computer keeps randomly restarting when left idle for a bit. I have attached my .dmp files. Assistance would be greatly appreciated!https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZGwHST52tMmk0JeDmp37KhZA1E0kaT57?usp=drive_link...
  3. Random Restarts When Idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Restarts When Idle: My computer keeps randomly restarting when left idle for a bit. I have attached my .dmp files. Assistance would be greatly appreciated!https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZGwHST52tMmk0JeDmp37KhZA1E0kaT57?usp=drive_link...
  4. Windows 10 Restarting when Idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Restarting when Idle: For about a week or so my Windows 10 Home PC keeps restarting when I've been idle for about 10 or so minutes. If I periodically move the mouse or type on the keyboard it doesn't restart. The computer will restart even if I'm doing something passively, like watching a full...
  5. Windows 10 restarts or hangs when idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 restarts or hangs when idle: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.508 and am experiencing issues where the PC either suddenly reboots when idle or it simply hangs and the only solution is powering it off. Unfortunately, I don't have any crash dumps. The problems only occur some time...
  6. Computer restarting when idling

Computer restarting when idling: I have had a series of problems following recent Windows 10 Updates. Everything seems to have slowed down. The most recent issue is that my PC is restarting whenever I leave it idling for any length of time. Can anyone help?...
  7. *Help* Computer Restarts only when Idle

in Windows 10 Customization
    *Help* Computer Restarts only when Idle: Specs i7-9700k GTX 1070 MSI Z390 Gaming Plus 16 GB of Ram HDD Toshiba SDD WDC 600w Bronze PSU So weird problem I have been having. My computer out of the blue has gone on reboot loops. I naturally thinking this was a windows problem gone awry I had deleted the...
  8. Computer needs to be restarted after long periods of idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer needs to be restarted after long periods of idle: Every morning when my computer has been idle overnight my computer has black screen with the applications still open, but its 'glitched out' in terms of when i grab a window and drag this leaves a trail of windows all over the screen. The task bar is gone, and the only thing...
  9. Computer randomly restarts when idle at desktop

Computer randomly restarts when idle at desktop: Ever since I upgraded my PC back in October of 2019, occasionally my PC will restart when it's sitting idle. For example, I'll be playing a game, then I'll quit to desktop, walk to the kitchen, hear it restart, walk in and see that it had restarted. Another example is in the...
  10. Windows 10 freezes when idle and restarts

Windows 10 freezes when idle and restarts: Hi guys. Just like to ask some help to fix my faultering Windows 10. What happened is that when I take a break from my computer, my PC freezes and then restarts by itself. There was once when after my PC froze, instead of restarting by it's own, was proceeded by a blue screen...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 restarts when idle

2. after latest windows update system is lost after idle for an hour

3. restart after ilde

4. windows 10 reboot itself in idle,
  5. windows 10 reboots itself when idle