Windows 10: computer security Scam

Discus and support computer security Scam in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently purchased a new laptop. I had just started trying to load some software. The first one I tried to load was my Microsoft Office that I had... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ElaineMiller1, Jul 24, 2019.

1. computer security Scam

I recently purchased a new laptop. I had just started trying to load some software. The first one I tried to load was my Microsoft Office that I had loaded onto a different computer. As soon as I entered the license key a warning popped up saying that I could not load this software and to call a phone number. I figured it had to do with the license key already being used on another laptop. I called the number and the person indicated that they were from Microsoft and that they had detected an issue with my computer and that MS would not let me load Office onto this laptop until they had repaired it. He said something like MS would not allow me to load the software because my personal information might be at risk due to the issue. I stupidly fell for it-- I did argue with him somewhat but he insisted that the only way I could load the Office was to let them onto my computer to show me the problem. Well I fell for it. Then they proceeded to tell me that McAfee and Norton would not be enough protection that I needed theirs. I thought it was something from Microsoft. So after arguing about the price I agreed to a two year contract and I was to send them a check (thank goodness I did not give them my cc). and I let them have access to my computer to download the software. When I got the email with the address to send the check, it was not to be payable to MS it was to something called I connect. So I googled it saw these review about it being a scam. I immediately took my laptop to Office Depot and had them run a scan. They said they found a Bott? I paid them to remove all the items this Iconnect had loaded and to put McAfee on.

I am afraid now this Iconnect will come after me for the money. Or get into my computer They do have my IP address. My home address and my phone number.

Any suggestions of other things I should do to protect myself.

:)

ElaineMiller1, Jul 24, 2019
  2. Jsssssssss, Jul 24, 2019
  3. Smeed Win User

computer security Scam

Smeed, Jul 24, 2019
Thema:

computer security Scam

1. computer security Scam - Similar Threads - computer security Scam

2. Security scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security scam: I just got a new PC, and 2 days after setting it up I got a scary security message that locked my screen and played a message.Both the message and the voice requested that I call Microsoft Security at 1 866 284 1311.I couldn't shutdown my computer because the screen was...
  3. To unblock computer from security scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    To unblock computer from security scam: Scam claiming to be Microsoft support locks computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-unblock-computer-from-security-scam/feb6c91f-8cc5-450f-b511-3eee55b1ffb9
  4. To unblock computer from security scam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    To unblock computer from security scam: Scam claiming to be Microsoft support locks computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-unblock-computer-from-security-scam/feb6c91f-8cc5-450f-b511-3eee55b1ffb9
  5. To unblock computer from security scam

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. This is a Security Scam

This is a Security Scam: Something took over my computer, said the ssl files were missing. I called the number on the screen <Removed> tech said he was working on my issue and then sent a message on note pad that he wanted 30,000 dollars or he would ruin my life. Then he put are you still there...
  7. Security scam

Security scam: Something took over my computer, said the ssl files were missing. I called the number on the screen 1-309-250-6622 tech said he was working on my issue and then sent a message on note pad that he wanted 30,000 dollars or he would ruin my life. Then he put are you still there...
  8. Security scam

Security scam: Windows Defender and Firewall Security Plan Be aware charge or renewed subscription for above -- $450.00. I do not have that plan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/security-scam/36ba6924-96ac-47a7-a7f0-563d8658a511
  9. Security Scam

Security Scam: Is there a way to block this email regarding the security scam update from these people? What do I do with the emails? I have 3 Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/security-scam/2f48eefa-89e8-4171-8255-58ce306157cb
  10. Security Scam?

Security Scam?: I have been getting a message that my windows system is damaged. This has come up a few times in the past few weeks when using Microsoft Edge going to well known newspaper websites A screen shot is included. I just exit Edge and it usually doesn't appear for a few days. I...