Windows 10: Computer severely underperforming - consistent lagging/fps drops. HW?

Discus and support Computer severely underperforming - consistent lagging/fps drops. HW? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I ran memtest86 tonight and got thru 2 passes with no errors, however, whenever I manually ran test #11/11 I would get this repeating error that would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Puttputt7, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Puttputt7 Win User

Computer severely underperforming - consistent lagging/fps drops. HW?

I ran memtest86 tonight and got thru 2 passes with no errors, however, whenever I manually ran test #11/11 I would get this repeating error that would just go on forever... Could my RAM be damaged? I should note I have it set to OC at 3000mhz

Computer severely underperforming - consistent lagging/fps drops. HW? [​IMG]

p.s. forgive my insolence, I can't get the image to display right side up in the forums (can in windows)

Additional notes for my ongoing quest to figure this out -

:)

Puttputt7, Dec 13, 2018

2. PC performace and random FPS Drops and LAG

My PC has been doing this weird thing.... it keeps on having random FPS drops, I usually run at 60 FPS on Fortnite and higher, now every 5 or 3 minutes my game stops and slows down to 30 or 20 FPS and lags,, then goes back to normal and this happens constantly
    please help I'm desperate...

JoeyShewchuk, Dec 13, 2018
  3. NickA95 Win User
    Insane FPS drops and lag while gaming

I have had the problem from a fresh install of windows so i haven't made many changes before it started.

All drivers updated and all windows updates installed when they come out.

And i launch a game and nothing else, I'll use the game terraria. I launch terraria with nothing else running and after about 20 minutes the problem creeps its ugly head up. I will lag every so often and it last maybe for 4-12 seconds. Sometimes is does
    it twice consecutively. I recently started playing Rust again and in a game like this where gun fights can occur at anytime it really gets irritating. I used a program to record my FPS while in game and i will have maybe 90 fps then a sudden drop to 3-8 fps.

I tried all the methods you suggested above several times in the past and i redid them again. Same problem.

I have also made some changes to my system after trying to solve this problem but to no avail. I disabled prefetch and superfetch as i have read on this community that for a gaming computer this isn't needed. That's all i have really done except for scanning
    my computer for viruses, malware and rootkits.

Any idea what next?

NickA95, Dec 13, 2018
  4. Dull Byte Win User

Sudden FPS drop/Stutter

Since 2 days ago, I just turned on my Computer, and it starting having issues while I was playing Witcher 3 (starts with decent fpsm and then very low fps, dropping to 35, then 20, and stopping at 12 or so, in a matter of seconds, in a matter of 1min of starting the game), also stuttering without any high demanding programs, randomly. I was playing at 45-60 fps, without any stutters or sudden fps drop. Have tried other games the issue persists. Even setup everything to low settings.
    I have ran several tests with several tools, all seems normal, no sudden memory spikes, or temperature raising out of the ordinary, nothing that would indicate such an fps drop or stuttering.

MSI Afterburner

I also did the reset option on Windows10, completly cleaned out all my personal info from the windows partition.
    So at this point, I am not sure if it is a software issue or a hardware issue.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edit: I kept doing some tests to find out the issue. And this happened before and I was able to replicate it. Same thing happened as before, till I set it up to fullscreen, Alt+Tab from the game and then back to the game, FPS went up to 50 again, stable and good, dropped after a couple of seconds. After a bit it went to 2-5 fps, and I had to shutdown the game, because even the sound was getting messed up.

MSI Afterburner 2

In this image those ups and downs in the GPU usage are when the fps dropped really hard and the sound got messed up.

Dull Byte, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer severely underperforming - consistent lagging/fps drops. HW? - Similar Threads - Computer severely underperforming

2. Sudden severe FPS drop lag spike and input device latency skyrockets

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sudden severe FPS drop lag spike and input device latency skyrockets: The problem consists on at least 2 games that I frequently play.The problem occurs when my custom-built PC worked for a few hours and then games were played. I have done clean boot and currently no services are enabled other than Avira Operations GmbH's Endpoint Protection...
  3. Sudden severe FPS drop lag spike and input device latency skyrockets

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden severe FPS drop lag spike and input device latency skyrockets: The problem consists on at least 2 games that I frequently play.The problem occurs when my custom-built PC worked for a few hours and then games were played. I have done clean boot and currently no services are enabled other than Avira Operations GmbH's Endpoint Protection...
  4. Sudden severe FPS drop lag spike and input device latency skyrockets

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. lag and fps drop in games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lag and fps drop in games: battlefield 2042 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lag-and-fps-drop-in-games/edbbd071-dcad-4f5e-be5e-c1ba2f7398b7
  6. lag and fps drop in games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lag and fps drop in games: battlefield 2042 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lag-and-fps-drop-in-games/edbbd071-dcad-4f5e-be5e-c1ba2f7398b7
  7. lags und fps drops

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    lags und fps drops: ich habe seit 1 172 jahren einen neuen pc. Und seit den letzten updates lagt es nur noch und ich hab in games statt 180 fps nur noch 60 wie kann das sein? das ist schon mein zweiter pc bei dem das der fall ist. habe alles probiert habe sogar in games die grafik runter...
  8. Consistent FPS drops and spikes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Consistent FPS drops and spikes: For the last 4 days or so my FPS has been acting strange. In any game I’m playing it’ll significantly drop until all of a sudden it shoots back up. Can’t figure out what’s causing this, I’m hoping my gpu isn’t dying because I’ve never had an issue like this before. I’ve...
  9. Consistent FPS drops in games every 25sec

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Consistent FPS drops in games every 25sec: when i play my videogames for some reason my fps drop a lot from 180 to like 30 fps every 25 sec . I dont really know the reason why but i think is because of my CPU . i have noticed when my fps drop in my task manager the percentage of cpu usage in fortnite goes down from...
  10. Computer severely underperforming - consistent lagging/fps drops. HW?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer severely underperforming - consistent lagging/fps drops. HW?: I ran memtest86 tonight and got thru 2 passes with no errors, however, whenever I manually ran test #11/11 I would get this repeating error that would just go on forever... Could my RAM be damaged? I should note I have it set to OC at 3000mhz [img] p.s. forgive my...