Windows 10: Computer shut down by itself, on restart all I see is "grub rescue"

Discus and support Computer shut down by itself, on restart all I see is "grub rescue" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This just happened. I'm sitting at the computer and no warning, no weird sound, it shuts down. Took me a minute to realize what had happened, I thought... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GrayCt17, May 3, 2017.

1. GrayCt17 Win User

Computer shut down by itself, on restart all I see is "grub rescue"

This just happened. I'm sitting at the computer and no warning, no weird sound, it shuts down. Took me a minute to realize what had happened, I thought it had just gone to sleep. Saw power button dark so turned machine back on. POST looked normal, then it didn't boot. Just a command line of "grub rescue". I tried some grub commands, i.e., boot - but they didn't work. ls was the only command that worked. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this a hard drive crash?

:)

GrayCt17, May 3, 2017
  2. RickmWF Win User

when i wake my computer from sleep mode and try to read an article or something it shuts down all by itself after about 1 minute

when i wake my computer from sleep mode and try to read an article or something it shuts down all by itself after about 1 minute of no activity? This only happens when resuming from sleep mode. if I force shut down and restart manualy it works fine. "

RickmWF, May 3, 2017
  3. Error Installing Windows 10

When I was trying to installing Windows 10 the Laptop Restarted and went into grub rescue mode with the error : Unknown File System.I am not able to exit grub rescue mode.Please Help

Devesh Nene, May 3, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Maybe a Linux forum might be a more useful place to ask?

NavyLCDR, May 3, 2017
  5. GrayCt17 Win User
    Maybe but this is a Windows computer. I do not recall ever installing Linux on this computer.

GrayCt17, May 3, 2017
  6. jl2509 Win User
    Some windows recovery partitions use linux !

jl2509, May 3, 2017
  7. While it's unusual for Windows recovery functions to use Linux, it is not impossible.

You should check the Lenovo support forums to see what they suggest.

Mark Phelps, May 3, 2017
  8. GrayCt17 Win User

Nothing happening at Lenovo support. No help at all.

GrayCt17, May 4, 2017
  9. jl2509 Win User
    Really unable to determine the issue here, but im second guessing a hard drive crash. The Grub menu is part of the resce media installed with lenovo recovery systems.

1. Has the PC ever been reformatted and reinstalled?

2. Did you create or do you have recovery disks?

3. Can you boot to a dos environment (maybe with a USB drive or DVD with and chkdsk loaded) to allow disk checking?
    Download ultimate boot cd here. Download Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) - MajorGeeks

HTH

jl2509, May 4, 2017
  10. GrayCt17 Win User
    Put the hard drive back in the Windows machine yesterday and it booted! Took a long time but it did. Working now with no issues.

1. Has the PC ever been reformatted and reinstalled?

2. Did you create or do you have recovery disks?

3. Can you boot to a dos environment (maybe with a USB drive or DVD with and chkdsk loaded) to allow disk checking?
    Download ultimate boot cd here. Download Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) - MajorGeeks

HTH[/QUOTE]

GrayCt17, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer shut down by itself, on restart all I see is "grub rescue" - Similar Threads - Computer shut down

2. Windows Shut down or restart by itself all the time for no reason.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Shut down or restart by itself all the time for no reason.: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date: 2022-11-02 12:46:24 AM Event ID: 41 Task Category: 63 Level: Critical Keywords: 70368744177664,2 User: SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-BF72SBB Description: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This...
  3. Windows Shut down or restart by itself all the time for no reason.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Shut down or restart by itself all the time for no reason.: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date: 2022-11-02 12:46:24 AM Event ID: 41 Task Category: 63 Level: Critical Keywords: 70368744177664,2 User: SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-BF72SBB Description: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This...
  4. Windows Shut down or restart by itself all the time for no reason.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Grub Rescue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Grub Rescue: Eh, Another issues i have, Is grub rescue I have a CD disk with windows and when boot it in it gets stuck at 20 now before it was 13 can someone help me. I use a acer e5-571 I tried using a USB but it takes me back to grub....
  6. Grub Rescue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Grub Rescue: Eh, Another issues i have, Is grub rescue I have a CD disk with windows and when boot it in it gets stuck at 20 now before it was 13 can someone help me. I use a acer e5-571 I tried using a USB but it takes me back to grub....
  7. Grub Rescue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Grub rescue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Grub rescue: I install kali linux 2020.2 dual boot with win10 but in the etap of install of Grub it say cannt install grub in dummy so i skip this etap and finish the installation of kali....put when i rebout my laptop i get this error :no such partition Grub rescue> So when i write:...
  9. Grub rescue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Grub rescue: [IMG]after this unable to go farward https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/grub-rescue/2adc48a2-6601-4988-8e00-59c66e7b20d7
  10. grub rescue error

in Windows 10 Customization
    grub rescue error: After adding Ubuntu along side my windows os I reboot to get "Grub Rescue Mode" errors. How to correct so I can boot to windows or DOS or something. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/grub-rescue-error/ee2707d3-feba-4a42-a0e9-4e8506c9a113