Windows 10: Computer shut down by itself, on restart all I see is "grub rescue"

Discus and support Computer shut down by itself, on restart all I see is "grub rescue" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This just happened. I'm sitting at the computer and no warning, no weird sound, it shuts down. Took me a minute to realize what had happened, I thought... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GrayCt17, May 3, 2017.

1. GrayCt17 Win User

Computer shut down by itself, on restart all I see is "grub rescue"

This just happened. I'm sitting at the computer and no warning, no weird sound, it shuts down. Took me a minute to realize what had happened, I thought it had just gone to sleep. Saw power button dark so turned machine back on. POST looked normal, then it didn't boot. Just a command line of "grub rescue". I tried some grub commands, i.e., boot - but they didn't work. ls was the only command that worked. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this a hard drive crash?

:)

GrayCt17, May 3, 2017
  2. RickmWF Win User

when i wake my computer from sleep mode and try to read an article or something it shuts down all by itself after about 1 minute

when i wake my computer from sleep mode and try to read an article or something it shuts down all by itself after about 1 minute of no activity? This only happens when resuming from sleep mode. if I force shut down and restart manualy it works fine. "

RickmWF, May 3, 2017
  3. Error Installing Windows 10

When I was trying to installing Windows 10 the Laptop Restarted and went into grub rescue mode with the error : Unknown File System.I am not able to exit grub rescue mode.Please Help

Devesh Nene, May 3, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Maybe a Linux forum might be a more useful place to ask?

NavyLCDR, May 3, 2017
  5. GrayCt17 Win User
    Maybe but this is a Windows computer. I do not recall ever installing Linux on this computer.

GrayCt17, May 3, 2017
  6. jl2509 Win User
    Some windows recovery partitions use linux !

jl2509, May 3, 2017
  7. While it's unusual for Windows recovery functions to use Linux, it is not impossible.

You should check the Lenovo support forums to see what they suggest.

Mark Phelps, May 3, 2017
  8. GrayCt17 Win User

Nothing happening at Lenovo support. No help at all.

GrayCt17, May 4, 2017
  9. jl2509 Win User
    Really unable to determine the issue here, but im second guessing a hard drive crash. The Grub menu is part of the resce media installed with lenovo recovery systems.

1. Has the PC ever been reformatted and reinstalled?

2. Did you create or do you have recovery disks?

3. Can you boot to a dos environment (maybe with a USB drive or DVD with and chkdsk loaded) to allow disk checking?
    Download ultimate boot cd here. Download Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) - MajorGeeks

HTH

jl2509, May 4, 2017
  10. GrayCt17 Win User
    Put the hard drive back in the Windows machine yesterday and it booted! Took a long time but it did. Working now with no issues.

1. Has the PC ever been reformatted and reinstalled?

2. Did you create or do you have recovery disks?

3. Can you boot to a dos environment (maybe with a USB drive or DVD with and chkdsk loaded) to allow disk checking?
    Download ultimate boot cd here. Download Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) - MajorGeeks

HTH[/QUOTE]

GrayCt17, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer shut down by itself, on restart all I see is "grub rescue" - Similar Threads - Computer shut down

2. Computer Shuts Down and Restarts at Random

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Shuts Down and Restarts at Random: Hello, I've been having an issue with my computer for the past week where it would shut down at random and restart multiple times a day. Similar to what the following person on this thread is experiencing:...
  3. My computer is shutting down by itself

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer is shutting down by itself: My PC shuts down by itself after being on 24 hours or so sometimes longer sometimes within a day. When I restart it it has to load META data and usually finishes up the POST and loads Windows. Any ideas? Or can anyone tell me where to find the error logs for windows and what...
  4. Windows won't shut down, instead restarts itself (not whole computer).

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows won't shut down, instead restarts itself (not whole computer).: When I try to shutdown windows it instead restarts, and by that I don't mean that the computer restarts as if I hit "restart the computer" but instead of shutting down after the blue "logging off... etc" screen it just really quickly goes back to the desktop and starts up...
  5. Shut down on all in one computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shut down on all in one computer: When I shut down from the start menu, the light on the bottom of the display stays on and I can still hear something running inside. It used to shut completely down. I now have to hold the power button down for four or five seconds for it to completely shut down....
  6. grub rescue mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    grub rescue mode: After deleting linux partition, windows is not loading up . It directly goes to grub rescue mode . I have tried all the tutorials in youtube and none help. Plz help.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/grub-rescue-mode/5ba14728-0d5e-44c5-b2fb-3296080ec194
  7. Computer shuts down instead of restarting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer shuts down instead of restarting: Hello, I have been having this issue for a while now. I have reinstalled the pc, complete clean installation, changed disk, added memory... all to no avail. Wheneveer I want to restart, the laptop just shuts down. I am keeping up with all sorts of updates. I have a ASUS...
  8. My Computer Keeps Shutting Down by itself

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Computer Keeps Shutting Down by itself: How can I fix this problem.Is there anyone who can help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/my-computer-keeps-shutting-down-by-itself/bfef363a-92f0-4c54-9265-6933ec3ce59a
  9. Need help computer shuts down By itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help computer shuts down By itself: Hi, I'm having a problem when I'm on my computer programming or playing a game, my system just shuts down by its self , and when I have closed all windows, its fine all day. Like I will be playing a online game and if anything is open it works for like 5 minutes then it just...
  10. Computer doesn't shut down by itself.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer doesn't shut down by itself.: Hi, I click the windows10 icon and option comes; shut down. I press that one and I see stars going round the circle but computer doesn't shut down. Overnight it remained same. Next morning, I had to shut down manually. Why? 32165