Windows 10: Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's...

Discus and support Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Does anyone know how to solve a problem I keep having on my laptop - every time I press sleep, it shuts down (meaning I lose everything I had open) and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by decci21, May 12, 2019.

1. decci21 Win User

Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's...

Does anyone know how to solve a problem I keep having on my laptop - every time I press sleep, it shuts down (meaning I lose everything I had open) and every time I leave it on for more than 10 minutes without use, it shuts down also - since I can't press the sleep button as it goes off instead, I was leaving it on, but it's shutting down anyways. Anyone has had the same problem, and found a way to solve it? I checked the power settings, all seems normal. I've also restarted it and still nothing changes. I've also tried to re-install a driver, nothing has changed. Practically tried all option I found online.

Need to solve this ASAP as I keep losing all my university work, and I'm currently during my exam period

Thanks in advance.

:)

decci21, May 12, 2019

2. Computer shuts down instead of going to sleep or hibernate

Good afternoon,

My pc shuts down instead of going to sleep. When I press the on/off button, the sleepbutton, close the lid, or click on 'sleep' in the startmenu, my computer "pretends" going to sleep: the ledlight on the case is blinking, as if the system is sleeping.

But, when I want to wake up the computer, it does not wake up, but it restarts. All applications are closed, unsaved work is vanished, et cetera...

The problem is there: 'fast boot' enabeled or not.

The problem has arrived just a couple of days ago, just after a windows upgrade

(which it does without my approval)

What I have already tried (and failed):

Who will help me?

Sincerely,

Brecht

System configuration:

Asus N551jk

Intel Core I7

Gefore GTX 850m

Windows 10

BrechtLauwers, May 12, 2019
  3. Sanchezoo Win User
    Desktop Shutting Down Instead of Going to Sleep

After the recent Windows 10 update, April 2017, my computer started shutting down instead of going to sleep. My settings have not changed and are still set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. When the computer was updating it did get stuck on a reboot. I had
    to shut it down manually and restart it. After I did that I rechecked for updates and it said my computer is up to date.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Sanchezoo, May 12, 2019
  4. Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's...

Computer shuts down instead of going in to sleep mode

Since two weeks my Dell laptop is shutting down every time when:

• Closing the laptop
    • Pressing the power button short
    • Manually via the Start Menu
    All these options are set to Sleep Mode and not Shut Down.

EgonMeijers, May 12, 2019
Thema:

Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's...

1. Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's... - Similar Threads - Computer shuts down

2. Windows computer shuts down instead of Sleep

in Windows 10 News
    Windows computer shuts down instead of Sleep: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 is an operating system that is packed with a ton of features. Many of the features are related to turning off computers in different states so that power can be saved at different levels. It lists out as [...] This post Windows computer shuts down...
  3. Computer Randomly shutting down or going into sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Randomly shutting down or going into sleep mode.: I have tried following the troubleshooting steps online and nothing seems to be working. I have included an error code I get when it happens sometimes. Really apprecaite the assistance, Kilen[IMG]...
  4. Windows won't shut down, instead restarts itself (not whole computer).

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows won't shut down, instead restarts itself (not whole computer).: When I try to shutdown windows it instead restarts, and by that I don't mean that the computer restarts as if I hit "restart the computer" but instead of shutting down after the blue "logging off... etc" screen it just really quickly goes back to the desktop and starts up...
  5. Computer shuts down when put to sleep

Computer shuts down when put to sleep: When I close the lid of my new laptop, it shuts down instead of staying in sleep mode. I've triple checked that the computer is set to Sleep (NOT Shut Down) when the lid is closed. It seems to Sleep for a short time, then Shut Down. Battery at 90%, so that isn't the issue. I...
  6. Computer Shutting Off Instead of Sleeping

Computer Shutting Off Instead of Sleeping: Since October (the October update, I think), my computer is shutting down instead of sleeping. Trouble shooter or other solutions I have found here not working. (Reason #465 I wish I could have control over these awful updates.) Suggestions? Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version...
  7. Monitor shuts off instead of going to sleep in Windows 10

Monitor shuts off instead of going to sleep in Windows 10: I've only had this problem since using Windows 10, and it keeps returning. After a fresh reinstall the screen sleep function works properly, but eventually something gets borked and instead of going to sleep, it shuts off. Normally in sleep mode moving the mouse or tapping a...
  8. Computer randomly shuts down instead of going to sleep. Or shuts down after being told to...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer randomly shuts down instead of going to sleep. Or shuts down after being told to...: Frequently, nearly every night, if I use the start menu or timers to tell my computer to sleep, it completely shuts down, closes all apps, and I need to start from scratch in the morning. My system had been running fine, but this started happening after changing to a new CPU...
  9. tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen

in Windows 10 Support
    tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen: I use a Lenovo Miix tablet as a "kiosk". The tablet hangs on a wall, and never goes to sleep - but it turns off the screen after 1 minute inactivity. Touching the screen should light it up immediately. All this worked wonderfully with Windows 8.1. After the move to Win10,...
  10. Laptop doesn't turn itself off after shutting down

Laptop doesn't turn itself off after shutting down: I recently upgraded to windows 10 and when I try to shut down the OS safely shuts down but the laptop stays on meaning I have to turn it off manually (hold the power button). I have tried turning off hybrid shutdown but this hasn't helped. How do I fix this? 10443