Windows 10: Computer shuts down instead of going to sleep

Discus and support Computer shuts down instead of going to sleep in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; About 2 weeks my computer just started shutting down when putting it to sleep. I don't know why it started doing that and i've checked the power... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/VanishingBlaze, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Computer shuts down instead of going to sleep

About 2 weeks my computer just started shutting down when putting it to sleep. I don't know why it started doing that and i've checked the power options, but that doesn't seem to be the issue

submitted by /u/VanishingBlaze
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/VanishingBlaze, Oct 13, 2020

2. Computer shuts down instead of going to sleep or hibernate

Good afternoon,

My pc shuts down instead of going to sleep. When I press the on/off button, the sleepbutton, close the lid, or click on 'sleep' in the startmenu, my computer "pretends" going to sleep: the ledlight on the case is blinking, as if the system is sleeping.

But, when I want to wake up the computer, it does not wake up, but it restarts. All applications are closed, unsaved work is vanished, et cetera...

The problem is there: 'fast boot' enabeled or not.

The problem has arrived just a couple of days ago, just after a windows upgrade

(which it does without my approval)

What I have already tried (and failed):

Who will help me?

Sincerely,

Brecht

System configuration:

Asus N551jk

Intel Core I7

Gefore GTX 850m

Windows 10

BrechtLauwers, Oct 13, 2020
  3. jazzbazz7 Win User
    Computer Shuts Down Instead of Going to Sleep

I have an ASUS Q550LF laptop running Windows 10, 64 bit. Instead of going to sleep, it shuts down. This happens whether I close the lid, let it idle for a while, or select sleep from the shutdown menu options. I've looked up the issue, and it seems to be
    fairly common, but none of the solutions I've found have worked.

Things I've tried:

• Changing the values in Power Options
    • Updating my IMEI driver
    • Disabling my IMEI driver
    • Checking the BIOS to make sure Power Saving mode is enabled

Solutions I've seen that I can't do:

• Roll back the IMEI driver to a previous version - I don't have a previous version of the driver to roll back to, and I can't seem to find one online, so I can't do that
    • Uncheck the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option in the Power Management tab of IMEI Properties - This tab doesn't exist for me

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

jazzbazz7, Oct 13, 2020
  4. MadelineC Win User

Computer shuts down instead of going to sleep

Windows 10 - my computer shuts down instead of going to sleep

My computer just started shutting down rather than going to sleep. This happens if I put the computer in sleep mode, or if I just step away for the computer for 20 minutes (the length of time I have set for it to go into sleep mode) -- in both cases the
    computer completely shuts down and all the windows or documents I had open are closed.

It's an ASUS, Windows 10.

I saw some questions about this and tried their suggestions - I checked my Power & Sleep settings, they are all correct. I also followed multiple pages' advice to remove the Intel Management Engine Driver (because it was likely outdated) and download the
    most recent version. The only problem is, once I've downloaded the new version, my computer says that it's "not supported." The version I downloaded was "Intel Management Engine Driver for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10" which says it's compatible with Windows
    10 and 64-bit operating systems, which mine is. Any advice about where to go from here?

MadelineC, Oct 13, 2020
Thema:

Computer shuts down instead of going to sleep

1. Computer shuts down instead of going to sleep - Similar Threads - Computer shuts down

2. Windows 11 shuts down instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 shuts down instead of going to sleep: I have installed Windows 11 on a brand new Dell G5 tower PC. Ever since the upgrade from Windows 10 I find that the PC shuts down unexpectedly instead of going to sleep. It doesn't do this every time the PC goes to sleep, but does so at least once or twice daily....
  3. Computer restarts/shuts down instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer restarts/shuts down instead of going to sleep: After i use my computer for a while and put it to sleep, it doesn’t go to sleep correctly. It either restarts or in the last case i had, shuts down. It used to have start up issues but that was resilved when i replaced my boot drive....
  4. Computer Shuts Down Instead of Going to Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Shuts Down Instead of Going to Sleep: I posted this same question in July, but I never found a solution, and now the old thread is locked, so here it is again: I have an ASUS Q550LF laptop running Windows 10, 64 bit. Instead of going to sleep, it shuts down. This happens whether I close the lid, let it idle for...
  5. PC Shutting down instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Shutting down instead of going to sleep: I have put my computer to sleep every night for years and all the sudden it will not go to sleep any more. When I'm done with my work, I go to start > (power icon) > sleep and the screen goes black. Usually at this point a couple seconds later the fans would stop and the...
  6. Computer Shuts Down Instead of Going to Sleep

Computer Shuts Down Instead of Going to Sleep: I have an ASUS Q550LF laptop running Windows 10, 64 bit. Instead of going to sleep, it shuts down. This happens whether I close the lid, let it idle for a while, or select sleep from the shutdown menu options. I've looked up the issue, and it seems to be fairly common, but...
  7. Windows 10 - my computer shuts down instead of going to sleep

Windows 10 - my computer shuts down instead of going to sleep: My computer just started shutting down rather than going to sleep. This happens if I put the computer in sleep mode, or if I just step away for the computer for 20 minutes the length of time I have set for it to go into sleep mode -- in both cases the computer completely...
  8. My laptop shuts down instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My laptop shuts down instead of going to sleep: When I put my laptop to sleep from power it shuts down. And the weird thing is i can turn it on if i click on space bar. Even if I close the lid it supposed to go to sleep (my power settings all put on sleep). Can anyone help me plz. Thanks. submitted by /u/00jamiil...
  9. Computer shuts down instead of sleep

Computer shuts down instead of sleep: I've been having this issue where instead of the computer going to sleep, it shuts down instead. I've reinstalled BIOS, reinstalled Windows 10, disabled fast startup, none has worked. Checked my disk with HD Tune Error Scan Short Generic Long Generic Event Viewer...
  10. Computer randomly shuts down instead of going to sleep. Or shuts down after being told to...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer randomly shuts down instead of going to sleep. Or shuts down after being told to...: Frequently, nearly every night, if I use the start menu or timers to tell my computer to sleep, it completely shuts down, closes all apps, and I need to start from scratch in the morning. My system had been running fine, but this started happening after changing to a new CPU...