Windows 10: Computer shuts down when not touched for awhile

Discus and support Computer shuts down when not touched for awhile in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I can not figure out why my computer shuts down after I am away for say 1 hour or so. I touch the mouse and the keys and the screen stays black. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nanz, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Nanz Win User

Computer shuts down when not touched for awhile

I can not figure out why my computer shuts down after I am away for say 1 hour or so. I touch the mouse and the keys and the screen stays black. My power button is not lit up. I have tp press the power button to start my laptop.
    Below just in case you needed to know, this is how things are set. I like it when I do not have to do anything to get back on whether my lid is close or away, etc. I do have it so I do not have to put a pin or password in to log on. Any help appreciated.

Choose what the power buttons do:
    (On battery & plugged in)
    *When I press the power button: Do nothing
    *When I press the power button: Sleep
    *When I close the lid: Do nothing
    ------------------------------------------------
    Choose what closing the lid does:
    *When I press the power button: Do nothing
    *When I press the power button: Sleep
    *When I close the lid: Do nothing
    Choose when to turn off the display:
    *Turn off the display: Never
    *Put the computer to sleep: Never
    -------------------------------------------------
    Choose when the computer sleeps:
    *Turn off the display: Never
    *Put the computer to sleep: Never
    Panel Open - Power On
    *Sleep Utilities: Disabled
    *Function under battery mode: Enabled
    *Display: Auto-Selected
    *Boot Options: Panel Open - Power On, Disabled
    *Keyboard: Enabled
    *Function Key: Mode, Special function mode-Touchpad & Backlight "On"
    NOTE: In other area, I have touchpad disabled so I can use my trackball
    *USB: Enabled
    *Sata: Performance
    *Lan: Enabled
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Require Sign It:
    When you have been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?
    Either "never" or "when pc wakes up from sleep". I have it on "Never".

*Screen Timeout Settings: All on Never

:)

2. computer shutting down when I go away for awhile

Hi Carolyn,

It is possible that hibernate is set at a particular time/minutes. You can follow the steps below on how to check it in the power options:

• Type Choose a power plan in the Search bar.
    • On your current power plan, click on Change plan settings.
    • Click on Change advanced power settings.
    • Expand Sleep the Hibernate after category.
    • Under Setting: make sure it is set to Never.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Feb 16, 2017
  3. computer shutting down when I go away for awhile

Since the latest update, my computer shuts down when I go away for awhile. Why?

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Ease of access**

carolynnkevlin, Feb 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, just to clarify, are you sure it shuts down, and is not simply resuming from sleep or hibernation?
    What exactly do you see happen after you press the power button - is it exactly the same sequence as a cold boot?

Check your event log at the time it seems to shut down. Can you see any helpful reports?

dalchina, Feb 16, 2017
  5. Nanz Win User
    I leave my computer on and with lid opened and go out for awhile. I come back and the screen is black. I move my mouse and still black, I hit a key on the keyboard and still back. The "power" is no longer lit up. In order for me to get back on, I "have" to press the power button. When I do this, my computer starts up again. I do not know what setting is wrong that makes the screen goes black as if it was is sleep mode or what ever.

I do not know where the event log is.

6. Hi Nanz

Type Event Viewer in cortana search bar. It should appear at top of list. Click on it. Window opens, expand Windows Logs on left, click on system. The events are time stamped and sorted by time.

You may have to watch device to see exactly when it does it thing so you can reference in viewer.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 16, 2017
  7. Nanz Win User
    I took a SS of the most recent but I do not know much about this particular stuff. I think when I tried to get back on my computer, it was around 12:30 or 1pm. Not sure.

Computer shuts down when not touched for awhile [​IMG]

8. dalchina New Member

Hi, it's up to you to pick out info from that---
    a. Note the exact time shut down happens.
    b. Wait 10 mins
    c. Boot up, and the time gap will help you find the last events. There will be a big gap in the events logged. That will make it easy - you don't even need to know this for example:
    Event 528 is logged whenever an account logs on to the local computer

- which makes it easy to find your log-on event.

===========================================
    A completely different approach.

Boot into Safe Mode. (If not sure how to do that, see the Tutorial section here or search generally for instructions).
    Leave your PC e.g. overnight making sure it's not going to sleep of hibernate.
    See if it shuts down.

This helps to eliminate effects of installed programs.

dalchina, Feb 17, 2017
  9. Nanz Win User
    Well, it has not happened again. Walked away from PC for 3hr 15min and all was fine. I think I did make it to do"nothing" when I press the power button. It was on" shut down" before, and before I posted that image. We will see. But I really don't see how that makes a difference. Hmmmmm.... Thanks all. I will wait a bit longer

Nanz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer shuts down when not touched for awhile - Similar Threads - Computer shuts down

2. Laptop shuts down when i touch it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop shuts down when i touch it: Hello! My name is Aakash.I had no issues with my laptop until today. When I turn on my laptop, it boots fine. But, when i touch a specific part of my laptop which is a small area to the left of the touchpad, it shuts down. No BSOD or anything, just turns off like u remove the...
  3. Laptop shuts down when i touch it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop shuts down when i touch it: Hello! My name is Aakash.I had no issues with my laptop until today. When I turn on my laptop, it boots fine. But, when i touch a specific part of my laptop which is a small area to the left of the touchpad, it shuts down. No BSOD or anything, just turns off like u remove the...
  4. Laptop shuts down when i touch it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Laptop shuts down when i touch it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Computer Shut Down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Shut Down: What is the advantage of using the sleep option as opposed to the shut down option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shut-down/041f86fc-afa8-4c66-aa1c-c9aa74bb13e2
  7. Computer Shut Down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Shut Down: What is the advantage of using the sleep option as opposed to the shut down option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shut-down/041f86fc-afa8-4c66-aa1c-c9aa74bb13e2
  8. Computer shuts down when idle

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle: Hi. Right after installing yesterday’s Windows Updates, my computer started shutting down after being idle (or as soon as the screensaver came on). I’ve run Avast! and Maleware Bytes — both are clear, and I’ve tried clearing my browsers’ cache. Nothing seems to work....
  9. Shut down computer when on battery

in Windows 10 Support
    Shut down computer when on battery: Hello, I need to be able to shut down my ASUS R517S laptop whenever it is running on battery (which is internal and cannot be removed easily). OS: Windows 10 Home. Why? Working in a offshore environment with a...
  10. Computer shuts down when idle?

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle?: have made sure that all the settings i can find in power options for shutting the PC down when idle are either set to never or disabled but must have missed something somewhere? after 20 minutes or so the PC shuts itself off..... any ideas? I originally suspected a non...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how come pc shuts down by itse;f if not touched